Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What would it take for the Raptors to go to ECF ?

Hybrid View

Raptors Republic Rookie Fanchie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What would it take for the Raptors to go to ECF ?

Ok let's pretend the standings stay how they stand and we end up meeting the Heat in 2nd round. What would it take for us to have a shot? For each option, you'd have to say if this'd be enough.

I'm on mobile so I can't create a poll. But the options are :

Lebron sidelined
    DWade sidelined
    Bosh sidelined
    2 of them sidelined
    All of them sidelined
    Nothing, we already have a reasonable shot at beating the Heat in a 7 game series

Post Thanks / Like

I say our shot at making ECF would be not having to face Indy or Miami in one of the earlier rounds. If we face Washington in round 1 then maybe Brooklyn or Atlanta in round 2 we'll be okay. At that point Indy and Miami would have already played each other and one been eliminated.

Raptors Republic Rookie Fanchie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Yogi wrote: View Post
    I say our shot at making ECF would be not having to face Indy or Miami in one of the earlier rounds. If we face Washington in round 1 then maybe Brooklyn or Atlanta in round 2 we'll be okay. At that point Indy and Miami would have already played each other and one been eliminated.
    Well that's pretty much impossible since it would mean that one of Miami or Indiana would have to drop to #4. Or a third team would have to claim #1, leaving them #2 and #3.

Ain't happening...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fanchie wrote: View Post
    Well that's pretty much impossible since it would mean that one of Miami or Indiana would have to drop to #4. Or a third team would have to claim #1, leaving them #2 and #3.

Ain't happening...
    But... but...

Raptors are going to be the #1 seed...
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Post Thanks / Like

To play the game though, I think Wade's knees would have to hold him to the bench and LBJ would have to be sidelined. But for Lebron to sit on the bench for a playoff game would require a serious injury. As much as I want the Raps to win I hope I don't see Lebron get hurt that bad.

All that being said, I think Indy is going all the way to the Obrien trophy this year.

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fanchie wrote: View Post
    Ok let's pretend the standings stay how they stand and we end up meeting the Heat in 2nd round. What would it take for us to have a shot? For each option, you'd have to say if this'd be enough.

I'm on mobile so I can't create a poll. But the options are :

Lebron sidelined
    DWade sidelined
    Bosh sidelined
    2 of them sidelined
    All of them sidelined
    Nothing, we already have a reasonable shot at beating the Heat in a 7 game series
    Lebron sidelined, then the heat are a borderline playoff team, so that helps.
    Wade sidelined, helps us out, but id still put my money on the heat.
    Bosh sidelined, we have a very interesting matchup.

Any two sidelined, and we're the favorites.

As is, I can see us going 6 games if we perform well.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Playing Indy in the second round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

Exactly. There is a 0% chance we are beating Miami under any circumstances. Indiana though, especially if they have a little injury trouble, there is at least a chance. A small chance, but a chance none the less.

I think its also most likely that Miami finishes with the #1 seed, so if we can keep it up, Indy very likely a round 2 opponent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    Exactly. There is a 0% chance we are beating Miami under any circumstances. Indiana though, especially if they have a little injury trouble, there is at least a chance. A small chance, but a chance none the less.

I think its also most likely that Miami finishes with the #1 seed, so if we can keep it up, Indy very likely a round 2 opponent.
    I don't think it's impossible. It wouldn't even take a major injury. A few (unlikely) things would need to happen in the playoffs for us to beat Miami.

A- Lowry would need to play at his highest level to cause a matchup problem that would require them to put james on him for a bit. He would also need to bother their PG's constantly on defense, forcing miami to use Wade and James to be the ball-handlers more often.

B- Demar would need to go at wade, and make his shots. In the post, off the drive, catch and shoot off screens- and get him into foul trouble. He would also need to play at least average defense on him. His athleticism has always given him potential to play good defense, he'd need to utilize some of it.

C- Ross needs to play his best defense on James. And he needs to keep moving- we saw how it tired james out to run through screens chasing ross when the Heat played us earlier in the year. James can do it, but over a seven-game series?

D- 2-Pat and Amir need to do what they do best. Patterson needs to make them defend the pick-and-pop, forcing the Heat to not be able to trap so aggressively. And Amir needs to fight for boards, create chances, and anchor the defense.

E- JV needs to play at the high level we've seen flashes of at a consistent level. Force the heat to pay for going big. Gobble up rebounds, make himself a problem in the post, and keep the damn ball high.

In addition to this, Casey would have to be smart with his rotations, use his timeouts properly, and use more variation on offense. If all this happens, we'd have a shot.
    @Boymusic66

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TSF wrote: View Post
    I don't think it's impossible. It wouldn't even take a major injury. A few (unlikely) things would need to happen in the playoffs for us to beat Miami.

A- Lowry would need to play at his highest level to cause a matchup problem that would require them to put james on him for a bit. He would also need to bother their PG's constantly on defense, forcing miami to use Wade and James to be the ball-handlers more often.

B- Demar would need to go at wade, and make his shots. In the post, off the drive, catch and shoot off screens- and get him into foul trouble. He would also need to play at least average defense on him. His athleticism has always given him potential to play good defense, he'd need to utilize some of it.

C- Ross needs to play his best defense on James. And he needs to keep moving- we saw how it tired james out to run through screens chasing ross when the Heat played us earlier in the year. James can do it, but over a seven-game series?

D- 2-Pat and Amir need to do what they do best. Patterson needs to make them defend the pick-and-pop, forcing the Heat to not be able to trap so aggressively. And Amir needs to fight for boards, create chances, and anchor the defense.

E- JV needs to play at the high level we've seen flashes of at a consistent level. Force the heat to pay for going big. Gobble up rebounds, make himself a problem in the post, and keep the damn ball high.

In addition to this, Casey would have to be smart with his rotations, use his timeouts properly, and use more variation on offense. If all this happens, we'd have a shot.
    That's a lot of needs @TSF. Basically the stars would have to align and we'd need to play perfect ball, I don't see it happening..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Raps76; Mon Feb 24th, 2014 at 01:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raps76 wrote: View Post
    That's a lot of needs @TSF. Basically the stars would have to align and we'd need to play perfect ball, I don't see it happening..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Oh I agree, very unlikely. We'd have to play our best ball and get a little luck. But that's pretty much what every team needs to beat Miami.
    @Boymusic66

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the Raptors will have to go through Miami to get to the ECF. I think Miami will be the 1 seed and, barring a continuation of the crazy run Chicago has been on, the Raps will be the 3 seed. We play Indiana pretty tough so I don't think its beyond the realm of possibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

Agree 100%. We match up with them pretty well. I think in a 7 games series we'd go neck and neck with them.

Raptors Republic Starter Uncle_Si's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote matt wrote: View Post
    Agree 100%. We match up with them pretty well. I think in a 7 games series we'd go neck and neck with them.
    You think a team with 2 sophomores in the starting line up and a bunch of guys that have never been to the play offs stand a chance against the Pacers?! Are you kidding me?

Just look at how the raptors bitch and complain about calls now, in the playoffs against the pacers I'm not sure they'd have time to shoot the ball between all their bitching.

I think we are on a similar course to what the pacers took in building their team but we are by no means close to them. If we won 1 game against the pacers in the play offs I'd consider it a fantastic season. But to take them to 7 games just isn't going to happen.

UNLESS, George and Hibbert go down, in which case maybe we'd win an extra game.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    You think a team with 2 sophomores in the starting line up and a bunch of guys that have never been to the play offs stand a chance against the Pacers?! Are you kidding me?

Just look at how the raptors bitch and complain about calls now, in the playoffs against the pacers I'm not sure they'd have time to shoot the ball between all their bitching.

I think we are on a similar course to what the pacers took in building their team but we are by no means close to them. If we won 1 game against the pacers in the play offs I'd consider it a fantastic season. But to take them to 7 games just isn't going to happen.

UNLESS, George and Hibbert go down, in which case maybe we'd win an extra game.
    You're probably right about this. Our ace in the hole, though, is Lowry. He plays with enough I-don't-give-a-f***ness for the entire team to latch onto. I think he could will us to two wins against the Pacers.

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny that everyone's talking second round and whatnot considering no one on the team outside of a couple role players have ever even been in the playoffs.

Everyone here better hope we don't face Chicago, Brooklyn or Charlotte.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    It's funny that everyone's talking second round and whatnot considering no one on the team outside of a couple role players have ever even been in the playoffs.

I think we can beat those teams. I've never said it's surefire, but we aren't underdogs against em

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post

I certainly hope you aren't using the "playoff experience" argument with the Bobcats, but I agree nevertheless...
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim Donaghy.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Tim Donaghy.
    Just bring him to the Brass Rail and it's all over

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information