Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What would it take for the Raptors to go to ECF ?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the Raptors will have to go through Miami to get to the ECF. I think Miami will be the 1 seed and, barring a continuation of the crazy run Chicago has been on, the Raps will be the 3 seed. We play Indiana pretty tough so I don't think its beyond the realm of possibility.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Metta World Peace
    Last edited by 2KJ; Mon Feb 24th, 2014 at 05:28 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Tim Donaghy.
    Just bring him to the Brass Rail and it's all over

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

It's going to be a strange playoff season in the east because there will be probably 4, possibly 5 teams that are making their first playoff appearance (in terms of their current core), in Toronto, Detroit, Charlotte, Brooklyn plus possibly Detroit or Cleveland if Atlanta continues to slide. And of those teams, all but Brooklyn have cores with little playoff experience. How much of an aberration is this? Over the past 4 seasons there's been only 6 non-playoff teams move into the playoffs in the EC, and none of those were higher than the 6 seed. Some of those teams are probably going to be surprisingly good in the playoffs and others will suck. Hopefully we're one of the good ones.
    tank-agnostic

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not playing the upstart Charlotte Bobcats in the first round (with "Nightmare Bear" aka Al Jefferson, raping our frontlines).
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 2KJ wrote: View Post

Metta World Peace
    Not joking, I'd love to see this happen.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

If we play Washington in the first round or Atlanta, we will be okay.
    I personally don't want to play Brooklyn, Bobcats or Chicago.

Chicago is too tenacious
    Brooklyn has Garnett and Pierce, two guys that came alive last year. Plus, if they get into a tear before the playoffs, they can be really dangerous.
    Bobcats really expose our frontline and Gerald Henderson + Kemba Walker have shitted on us in the past

Then in the 2nd round, if we should play Indiana.

T-Ross matches up so nicely against Paul George. T-Ross has made him struggle in the past.
    Lance Stephenson can be erratic at times.
    Amir and Hansbrough will make West really work for his points.
    But what about Hibbert? He can really expose JV and since this is JV's first playoffs, I think Hibbert will really give JV problems in a possible meetup

So ideally:

Play Washington or Hawks in 1st round
    Play Indiana in the second round
    Lose to Miami in ECF.

8. Like 2KJ liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Haven't we split the season series with Indiana though? I think we match up much better with them than we do with Miami. I could be wrong but I don't think our record agains Miami during the LeBron era has been very good.
    True we have split but JV and AMIR/PPAT will have tough time against Hibbert and West. They can muscle us out. No slight to AMIR + JV but West is pretty wide and thick at the 4 and the same for Hibbert at the 5. We have done well against the slightly smaller active centres. The western road trip was an eye opener when those slugs from Sacto (Cousins + THompson) and the Clips with Jordan+Griffin exposed our lack of size. I think Indy punishes us and we go out 4-1 while with the heat .. with a hobbled wade and only the birdman to contend with our odds are better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fanchie wrote: View Post
    Well that's pretty much impossible since it would mean that one of Miami or Indiana would have to drop to #4. Or a third team would have to claim #1, leaving them #2 and #3.

Ain't happening...
    But... but...

Raptors are going to be the #1 seed...
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 2kfeen wrote: View Post
    If we play Washington in the first round or Atlanta, we will be okay.
    I personally don't want to play Brooklyn, Bobcats or Chicago.

Chicago is too tenacious
    Brooklyn has Garnett and Pierce, two guys that came alive last year. Plus, if they get into a tear before the playoffs, they can be really dangerous.
    Bobcats really expose our frontline and Gerald Henderson + Kemba Walker have shitted on us in the past

Then in the 2nd round, if we should play Indiana.

T-Ross matches up so nicely against Paul George. T-Ross has made him struggle in the past.
    Lance Stephenson can be erratic at times.
    Amir and Hansbrough will make West really work for his points.
    But what about Hibbert? He can really expose JV and since this is JV's first playoffs, I think Hibbert will really give JV problems in a possible meetup

So ideally:

Play Washington or Hawks in 1st round
    Play Indiana in the second round
    Lose to Miami in ECF.
    Yep. I would also add Detroit to my preferred 1st round opponents. Jonas exposes Drummond, Josh Smith is worse than Gay as a chucker, Jennings is erratic.

That's why I thought the Raps should have traded for a legit backup 7ft centre (Kaman, Hawes, Jordan Hill, maybe Mozgov), as Chuck Hayes is an excellent post defender, but he's too short. 2Pat can't guard anyone on the post, Amir's hurt most of the year, Jonas is a foul machine as per referees.

Raptors Republic All-Star YoungGunRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree about facing either Detriot, Washington, Cleveland, or Atlanta in the first round.

I dread a playoff series against Charlotte or even Brooklyn though.

And I actually think that it might be more ideal for us to face Miami in the second round. With the Pacers:

1) Derozan will be guarded by a strong defender (George, Stephenson, and Turner) at all times during the game, and I don't think he will be able to handle it over a full series.

2) Hibbert, Bynum, West, Mahinmi. The list goes on. We can't defend against Indiana's bigs consistently. We have a better chance against the Heat with our deeper big man rotation. But vs. the Pacers, we are undersized.

3) Our bench is good enough to keep us in the game vs. Miami. With Patterson, Vasquez, Salmons, and Hansbrough, we can exploit a lineup of Cole, Beasley, Shuttlesworth. Actually I think they could compete well against Indiana's second unit as well.

Basically because of Indiana's size and depth, I think facing them in the ECF would be better.

With the Heat, we will face a team with the oft-injured Wade and a supporting cast of older, slower defending veterans who I think we have a better chance against with our youth and defensive intensity.

The only glaring issue vs. the Heat is that James fellow. We don't have anyone who can guard him.

Decisions, decisions.
    “You can sink and drown, or you can float, and we out here like Michael Phelps."
    Demar Derozan

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote YoungGunRaptor wrote: View Post
    I agree about facing either Detriot, Washington, Cleveland, or Atlanta in the first round.

I dread a playoff series against Charlotte or even Brooklyn though.

And I actually think that it might be more ideal for us to face Miami in the second round. With the Pacers:

1) Derozan will be guarded by a strong defender (George, Stephenson, and Turner) at all times during the game, and I don't think he will be able to handle it over a full series.

2) Hibbert, Bynum, West, Mahinmi. The list goes on. We can't defend against Indiana's bigs consistently. We have a better chance against the Heat with our deeper big man rotation. But vs. the Pacers, we are undersized.

3) Our bench is good enough to keep us in the game vs. Miami. With Patterson, Vasquez, Salmons, and Hansbrough, we can exploit a lineup of Cole, Beasley, Shuttlesworth. Actually I think they could compete well against Indiana's second unit as well.

Basically because of Indiana's size and depth, I think facing them in the ECF would be better.

With the Heat, we will face a team with the oft-injured Wade and a supporting cast of older, slower defending veterans who I think we have a better chance against with our youth and defensive intensity.

The only glaring issue vs. the Heat is that James fellow. We don't have anyone who can guard him.

Decisions, decisions.
    Raptors haven't even beaten the heat ONCE since what, 2010? we match up with the pacers much better. We're something like 26th in the league in transition/fast break points. Our youth doesn't really help all that much against the heat, who just play smarter ball.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well DD sure thinks it possible

http://youtu.be/hGhRcxXZC64

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote YoungGunRaptor wrote: View Post

Decisions, decisions.
    Welcome to the problems for every team in the league haha West has The Slim Reaper, East has King James. The two unguardable players in the NBA.
    @Boymusic66

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Lebron James & Dwayne Wade retirement

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

This is exactly what will happen, you can quote me right here.

Toronto (third seed) is going to play Charlotte (sixth seed) in the first round, and we will win the series in a hard fought 7 games, with the last game being an absolute nail biter. Gerald Henderson will attempt a game winning free-throw line dunk, but will be rejected harshly by our newest masked warrior Nando de Colo.

Miami (second seed) is going to play Washington (seventh seed) in the first round. What no one anticipated, though, was Miami losing in the first round. While this seems highly unlikely especially in hundreds of auto-simulations in NBA 2K14, Washington too will steal a thrilling Game 7 victory on the broad shoulders of freshly healed Nene. Nene will hit 2/2 3-pt FG in the deciding Game 7, both buzzer beaters.

We will then play Washington in the EC semifinals. Nene will again re-injure his knee after colliding it with Amir Johnson's ankle, and without their playoff leading 3-pt FG% shooter, they will lose to the Raptors this time in just 5 games.

But alas, we will fall to the Indiana Pacers who will start a front line of Roy Hibbert and Andrew Bynum. Chuck Hayes will have a triple double in points, assists, and turnovers.

If this happens you guys owe me a million dollars.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha, that would be exciting. I'll pay up if it happens.

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MoPeteRules wrote: View Post
    Nene will again re-injure his knee after colliding it with Amir Johnson's ankle, and without their playoff leading 3-pt FG% shooter, they will lose to the Raptors this time in just 5 games.
    Never wish for a player to injure themselves. EVER

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Never wish for a player to injure themselves. EVER
    Pretty sure his post was a joke, don't be losing sleep over it.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

21. Like MoPeteRules, OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    8 wins
    he's not wrong
    @jerboat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information