Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you be prepared to give up to acquire Andrew Wiggins ?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote YoungGunRaptor wrote: View Post
    Oh I hear you. But given all this, don't you think that bringing in Derozan would be a great pick up for the Lakers? He's a hometown hero out there, and given his relationship with Kobe, he will have an opportunity to learn from and play aside Kobe until he finally ends up replacing him as SG in the starting lineup.
    I can assure you my friend, as a Laker fan and someone who has lived in LA for few years and listens to ESPN710 LA everyday, DD is not a hometown hero there !!! Lakers have no interest to drop 10 million a year on DD. Listen to ESPN710 LA ( broadcast from internet for free) and realize that Lakers have their eyes on bigger prices like Westbrooks, Love and Druant.

2. Like Letter N, YoungGunRaptor liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter YoungGunRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't mean it like that lol. I meant that he is from LA, and I figured that he would be appreciated playing for his hometown team. Despite that I am surprised to hear that he doesn't get big time love out there.

I too have heard that they want a bigger name player, but I think that he could pair up with a guy like Westbrook or Kevin Love and he could function as a dependable sidekick to whomever he plays alongside. I think with Love, he would fit in well because they can exploit Kevin Love's outside shooting ability with Derozan's ability to get to the Rim.

And I figured that if they could rid themselves of Nash's contract, they would likely have the cap space to take on Derozan's salary and another big name FA as well, no?
    “You can sink and drown, or you can float, and we out here like Michael Phelps."

Demar Derozan

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jamshid wrote: View Post
    I won't give up DD.

For me is the following:

Ross + 2014 first round + our 2016 and NYKs 2016 + Amir + 2 2nd round picks.
    Ross has a better skill set to pair with Wiggins. Ross is going to be a great complimentary player due to his ability to stretch the D and shoot the three.

DD is also an already established star and has more value IMO to a building team.

Also I think Ross is a much better player than DD already so why would we give him up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Ross has a better skill set to pair with Wiggins. Ross is going to be a great complimentary player due to his ability to stretch the D and shoot the three.

DD is also an already established star and has more value IMO to a building team.

Also I think Ross is a much better player than DD already so why would we give him up?
    Much as I disagree with Ross being better than DD at this junction, I agree with the logic. Think about it- Wiggins is supposed to be a bit like Lebron coming out of school right? Well look at how Miami works with 3-And-D guys (aka ross) spacing the floor and executing the defensive scheme. Then remember the times when miami has looked a bit clunky because their SG can't hit 3's (Wade/DD). If you're building around Wiggins, you keep ross.

And- Wiggins won't hit his stride for a couple seasons. Even if the best case scenario is he Anthony Davis's in his second season, It's still the safer bet to go with the younger guy whose skill set fits better. Much as I would hate to lose Demar.
    @Boymusic66

6. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If the opportunity presented itself id trade DD before even thinking of trading Ross because Ross is a better compliment to Wiggins and Ross could also go back to his natural position of SG where he would thrive more
    He's 2 years away from being 2 years away, but his wingspan is already here .

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

unless wiggins flunks march, he's not on the market for any price. teams in the lottery need control - that's the most valuable aspect of a rookie contract

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    unless wiggins flunks march, he's not on the market for any price. teams in the lottery need control - that's the most valuable aspect of a rookie contract
    Hypothetical scenario. MU calls up the team who is picking wiggins. Asks what we can offer for him. Other GM turns down a ross, DD, or lowry centred option. Suggests a straight swap, JV for AW.

Do you do it?
    @Boymusic66

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TSF wrote: View Post
    Hypothetical scenario. MU calls up the team who is picking wiggins. Asks what we can offer for him. Other GM turns down a ross, DD, or lowry centred option. Suggests a straight swap, JV for AW.

Do you do it?
    In a heartbeat.

11. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In a heartbeat.
    I'd give up JV, Ross and our 2014 pick.

Then I'd trade DD for a first round pick in 2015/2016, and same deal with Lowry.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you do it?
    Wow. Is this a serious question??
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Post Thanks / Like

Then I'd trade DD for a first round pick in 2015/2016, and same deal with Lowry.
    Are you high? Jeez man. You'd tear down the entire team without even getting fair market value. I've been skeptical about JV developing into a star, but the potential is there. 10.5 and 8.6 as a sophomore with almost 4 WS already is nothing to sneeze it. And I sure wouldn't trade a potential future star PLUS our second best wing defender whose also a sophomore PLUS the 18th pick in the draft.

We're in a damn good situation in terms of assets right now. With the right trade, or even a home-run hit with our pick, we could actually compete for a championship. Tearing it all down, guaranteeing the next couple years are crap, and hoping all your picks hit? That's the Cleveland Post-James model.
    @Boymusic66

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Wow. Is this a serious question??
    I realize AW is a higher ceiling player, but he also plays the position that has the most talent in the nba. JV has shown star potential and plays the hardest position to find talent at. It's intriguing
    @Boymusic66

Post Thanks / Like

Are you high? Jeez man. You'd tear down the entire team without even getting fair market value. I've been skeptical about JV developing into a star, but the potential is there. 10.5 and 8.6 as a sophomore with almost 4 WS already is nothing to sneeze it. And I sure wouldn't trade a potential future star PLUS our second best wing defender whose also a sophomore PLUS the 18th pick in the draft.

We're in a damn good situation in terms of assets right now. With the right trade, or even a home-run hit with our pick, we could actually compete for a championship. Tearing it all down, guaranteeing the next couple years are crap, and hoping all your picks hit? That's the Cleveland Post-James model.
    well, i'd get fair market value for DD and Lowry.

but i'd do that trade, yes.
    this is completely subjective and arbitrary, but: I give Wiggins a 33% chance at being a superstar/top 10 player in the league, at least.

I'd give up JV/ Ross and our pick for those odds. Especially since we'd likely control him for 9 years, if not more.

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't give up Ross and Val. Definitely not Ross (due to his ability to compliment good players). I would give up Val though for sure. Love the guy but there are some major red flags starting to pop up in my head. Val+2014+Amir would be a good starting point, though probably need a few more picks in there, be it second round or what not.

I would love the idea of trading DD for some future picks. 2015 is supposed to have some pretty talented PF's

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep trying to not say anything because I'm never as optimistic as everyone else on this board but are you people serious???

DD to be Kobe's heir apparent?
    JV straight up for Wiggins?
    A top 3 drafting team trading out of this draft?? And doing it for a bunch of late teen picks??

I think we have a better chance of missing the playoffs and winning the lottery than any of the suggestions in this thread.

19. Like Nilanka, stooley, TRex liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The suggestions seem rather crazy probably because there's literally nothing the raptors have that would interest a top 5 lottery team from trading out of this draft, so yeh people will be clutching at straws. But hey this is a fan forum, let people have their fun!
    But that being said, If some team was silly enough to take DeRozan and a pick for him, sure I'd do it

21. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Although I do not think there is any way a team gives up Wiggins at the draft, I would be willing to trade Demar, 2014 1st, 2016 1st, and some filler and/or second rounders. If demar wasn't wanted, I'd be willing to give up JV or even Ross instead, but not both. Demar would be the most logical choice to give up if acquiring Wiggins. Like others have said, Ross would be the better pairing with Wiggins, plus we would have the cap space from Demar's contract to work with, we could resign Lowry and be in a similar position cap wise as we are now. I wouldn't want to give up Demar, but Wiggins is looking real good and you got to make that trade to bring in the best Canadian bball player if you have the opportunity.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would give JV TROSS + a 1st rounder and second for a top 3 pick in this draft.
    Then i would sign someone like greg monre over the summer

2014-15 line up
    Lowry
    DeRozan
    Wiggins
    Amir/2Pat
    Greg Monroe

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wiggins hasn't dominated at all in college and looks so passive. Maybe something will click in his head when he gets to the NBA, but right now I wouldn't risk it all to acquire him on the promise of his potential.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Contrary to what's been said I don't think a rebuilding team would want someone like DeRozan simply because by the time their rebuilding plan is complete, DeRozan will be long gone. Rebuilding teams want something to build around, not a stop-gap.

I'd trade JV and our 2014 pick. If they need more, throw in a 2017 pick.

Whether JV will ever be dominant is debatable, but rebuilding or bottom-dwelling GMs love to build around big men, and JV is young enough to be part of the future of any franchise. He's sexy enough that someone might be willing to trade out of the top 5. Simple way to look at is, right now, between JV and Embiid who do you take. There have been many like Embiid.. big men who look great in college who have not being playing basketball very long. All you need is a tiny seed of doubt and we can trade in to get Wiggins.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Thread Information