Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you be prepared to give up to acquire Andrew Wiggins ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YoungGunRaptor wrote: View Post
    On the other hand, Kobe doesn't really have much left in the tank, mostly because I think he is now at a stage in his career where injuries, not fatigue, are preventing him from playing.

Derozan is seen by many to be a young Kobe Bryant, and whats to say the Lakers won't trade for him to be their 2nd option behind one of the big namefree agents whom they will very likely be acquiring?

It makes sense to do so, while ridding themselves of Nash's contract. They've got tons of Point Gaurds as well, and if this trade goes down, I would truly like to see Kendall Marshall in T.O.
    Is this really true? I have done my fair share of reading basketball stuff over the years and except for forum opinions I have not read that attribute given D by any of his peers, coaches or a serious basketball opinion writer. They do have a bit of a relationship and I have seen kind words from Kobe about DD but...Do you have a link to a writeup that may confirm that statement?

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
      Is this really true? I have done my fair share of reading basketball stuff over the years and except for forum opinions I have not read that attribute given D by any of his peers, coaches or a serious basketball opinion writer. They do have a bit of a relationship and I have seen kind words from Kobe about DD but...Do you have a link to a writeup that may confirm that statement?
      I don't have any concrete evidence, I just see a lot of people calling Derozan that on youtube/ other forms of social media. Its not anything official, and Derozan is not an elite level impact maker like KB24 is, but you have to consider the facts:

A) Derozan is from California, and he grew up watching Kobe Bryant
      B) Derozan played Kobe when he was in high school, and Bryant has mentioned on several occasions that he has followed derozans growth in the league.
      C) He was one of the first players to be given permission to wear Kobe's shoes upon entering the league- a first at the time that has since changed significantly. Kobe's are awesome hooping shoes by the way.

http://www.lakersnation.com/kobe-bry...an/2012/10/24/

EDIT: Here's an example of what I was talking about. On most DD videos on youtube, you will find people referring to Demar Derozan having much potential to be like Kobe Bryant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqT38Qjft-k
      Last edited by YoungGunRaptor; Mon Feb 24, 2014, 10:04 PM.
      I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
      -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

I don't have any concrete evidence, I just see a lot of people calling Derozan that on youtube/ other forms of social media. Its not anything official, and Derozan is not an elite level impact maker like KB24 is, but you have to consider the facts:

A) Derozan is from California, and he grew up watching Kobe Bryant
        B) Derozan played Kobe when he was in high school, and Bryant has mentioned on several occasions that he has followed derozans growth in the league.
        C) He was one of the first players to be given permission to wear Kobe's shoes upon entering the league- a first at the time that has since changed significantly. Kobe's are awesome hooping shoes by the way.

http://www.lakersnation.com/kobe-bry...an/2012/10/24/

EDIT: Here's an example of what I was talking about. On most DD videos on youtube, you will find people referring to Demar Derozan having much potential to be like Kobe Bryant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqT38Qjft-k
        I agree/d that there are many fans of DD who think of him in those terms and I mentioned that Kobe "likes" him. But this thread is dealing with the possibilities of acquiring a high pick in this draft and if we are going to discuss a swap of talent this must be based on the possible as well as on unbiased player evaluation. I was just wondering if you had an article or something more than the links you provided that relayed those sentiments. GMs dont look at that kind of info I dont think.

Comment

Everything. Everyone.
          A wise man once said: F*ck Brooklyn!

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
            I agree/d that there are many fans of DD who think of him in those terms and I mentioned that Kobe "likes" him. But this thread is dealing with the possibilities of acquiring a high pick in this draft and if we are going to discuss a swap of talent this must be based on the possible as well as on unbiased player evaluation. I was just wondering if you had an article or something more than the links you provided that relayed those sentiments. GMs dont look at that kind of info I dont think.

Oh I hear you. But given all this, don't you think that bringing in Derozan would be a great pick up for the Lakers? He's a hometown hero out there, and given his relationship with Kobe, he will have an opportunity to learn from and play aside Kobe until he finally ends up replacing him as SG in the starting lineup.

I think the Lakers would benefit immensely from having Demar.

Me personally, I still think trading draft picks, cash, and a big man are the best pieces to give up. Derozan has been the Raptors development project, and he is responding to this stimulus and is growing. I don't think we should trade Derozan because it wouldn't look good; to raise a young player who is beloved in this city and then trade him. Thats like trading your wonderful, indestructible Nokia for a high tech phone that may or may not end up suiting your needs.
            I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada

Comment

Oh I hear you. But given all this, don't you think that bringing in Derozan would be a great pick up for the Lakers? He's a hometown hero out there, and given his relationship with Kobe, he will have an opportunity to learn from and play aside Kobe until he finally ends up replacing him as SG in the starting lineup.
              I can assure you my friend, as a Laker fan and someone who has lived in LA for few years and listens to ESPN710 LA everyday, DD is not a hometown hero there !!! Lakers have no interest to drop 10 million a year on DD. Listen to ESPN710 LA ( broadcast from internet for free) and realize that Lakers have their eyes on bigger prices like Westbrooks, Love and Druant.

Comment

I didn't mean it like that lol. I meant that he is from LA, and I figured that he would be appreciated playing for his hometown team. Despite that I am surprised to hear that he doesn't get big time love out there.

I too have heard that they want a bigger name player, but I think that he could pair up with a guy like Westbrook or Kevin Love and he could function as a dependable sidekick to whomever he plays alongside. I think with Love, he would fit in well because they can exploit Kevin Love's outside shooting ability with Derozan's ability to get to the Rim.

And I figured that if they could rid themselves of Nash's contract, they would likely have the cap space to take on Derozan's salary and another big name FA as well, no?

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
                  I won't give up DD.

For me is the following:

Ross + 2014 first round + our 2016 and NYKs 2016 + Amir + 2 2nd round picks.
                  Ross has a better skill set to pair with Wiggins. Ross is going to be a great complimentary player due to his ability to stretch the D and shoot the three.

DD is also an already established star and has more value IMO to a building team.

Also I think Ross is a much better player than DD already so why would we give him up?

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                    Ross has a better skill set to pair with Wiggins. Ross is going to be a great complimentary player due to his ability to stretch the D and shoot the three.

DD is also an already established star and has more value IMO to a building team.

Also I think Ross is a much better player than DD already so why would we give him up?
                    Much as I disagree with Ross being better than DD at this junction, I agree with the logic. Think about it- Wiggins is supposed to be a bit like Lebron coming out of school right? Well look at how Miami works with 3-And-D guys (aka ross) spacing the floor and executing the defensive scheme. Then remember the times when miami has looked a bit clunky because their SG can't hit 3's (Wade/DD). If you're building around Wiggins, you keep ross.

And- Wiggins won't hit his stride for a couple seasons. Even if the best case scenario is he Anthony Davis's in his second season, It's still the safer bet to go with the younger guy whose skill set fits better. Much as I would hate to lose Demar.
                    @Boymusic66

Comment

If the opportunity presented itself id trade DD before even thinking of trading Ross because Ross is a better compliment to Wiggins and Ross could also go back to his natural position of SG where he would thrive more
                      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

unless wiggins flunks march, he's not on the market for any price. teams in the lottery need control - that's the most valuable aspect of a rookie contract
                        "Bruno?
                        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                          unless wiggins flunks march, he's not on the market for any price. teams in the lottery need control - that's the most valuable aspect of a rookie contract
                          Hypothetical scenario. MU calls up the team who is picking wiggins. Asks what we can offer for him. Other GM turns down a ross, DD, or lowry centred option. Suggests a straight swap, JV for AW.

Do you do it?
                          @Boymusic66

Comment

TSF wrote: View Post
                            Hypothetical scenario. MU calls up the team who is picking wiggins. Asks what we can offer for him. Other GM turns down a ross, DD, or lowry centred option. Suggests a straight swap, JV for AW.

Do you do it?
                            In a heartbeat.
                            "Bruno?
                            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                              In a heartbeat.
                              I'd give up JV, Ross and our 2014 pick.

Then I'd trade DD for a first round pick in 2015/2016, and same deal with Lowry.
                              "Bruno?
                              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

TSF wrote: View Post

Do you do it?
                                Wow. Is this a serious question??
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X