Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What would you be prepared to give up to acquire Andrew Wiggins ?

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RepTdot wrote: View Post
    got it, not sure exactly how the rules of RFA status works, I know it means the original team has the right to match any offer Wiggins gets offered but does he still get the choice of which contract to sign as a RFA? hopefully Wiggins hometown pride kicks in and doesn't sign the extension so he can play here.
    If the team that drafted him matches the offer, then Wiggins has to sign with them. But if Wiggins makes it clear he doesn't want to play there, then I'd imagine the team could work out a sign and trade or something like that. On the other hand, there are essentially no rookies that have turned down a max extension.

and i think i made a mistake, it would be 4-8 years until he could play with us

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    my wiggins package

2014 1st round pick 2014 2nd round pick, 2015 2nd round pick, 1 2016 1st round pick 1 2016 second round pick, 2017 second round pick, 2018 1st round pick + 2 of my 3 testicles, and Terrence Ross for Nash and Wiggins
    Haha, no way I make that trade without the 3rd testicle and you can keep the 2nd rounders!!

Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TSF wrote: View Post
    Hypothetical scenario. MU calls up the team who is picking wiggins. Asks what we can offer for him. Other GM turns down a ross, DD, or lowry centred option. Suggests a straight swap, JV for AW.

Do you do it?
    LOL .. Obviously you do it! Some posters are up here talking about trading our all-star, and multiple first rounders.....

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Have to wait until Wiggins stock drops a bit.. It's too high and any team that drafts him will know that MU will be drooling over him. So they will ask for a lot. If the Raptors wait until 2015 or 2016 to nab him in a trade when his value might go lower (it might not, but there is a chance it will). At that point you offer a better package for him.

Otherwise we wait 8 years when he's a UFA.

Raptors Republic Rookie Niagara Raptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

agree with planetmars ( although I think he is a loon from another planet) let us see if he really is an elite talent with another team and if so we can send drake to pick him up as a UFA

Post Thanks / Like

"What would you be prepared to give up to acquire Andrew Wiggins?"

My left nut. Especially if he'd re-sign past his rookie deal. I'd definitely lose a nut for 7-8 years of Wiggins in Toronto. You think I'm joking. I'm not.

7. Like Niagara Raptor liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post

My left nut. Especially if he'd re-sign past his rookie deal. I'd definitely lose a nut for 7-8 years of Wiggins in Toronto. You think I'm joking. I'm not.
    Nuts are grossly overrated. All they do is thin your wallet 18 years at a time.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

9. Like stooley, S.R. liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post

We should start a 'Nuts for Wiggins' campaign and see how many fans would be willing to make a similar offer. Although I'm not sure who would be willing to take our nuts in exchange for wiggins... But if anyone can find a buyer, It's Masai Ujiri.

"Yeah, this is Masai calling. So I've got two hundred and eighty seven Raptors' fans testicles, each individually bottled in laboratory-grade preservatives and labelled. I want your first overall pick. Yeah, they're on my desk infront of me right now. Here, I'll text you a pic. Yeah, you're damn right you'll take that trade."
    tank-agnostic

11. Like RaptorsForever, CalgaryRapsFan, S.R. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

id be willing to give up S.Rs left nut for wiggins

Post Thanks / Like

S.Rs right nut too

14. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Would you guys be willing to trade DeMar and our 1st round draft pick for Wiggins? Really?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

He might not enter the draft this year. If he goes back to Kansas for another year we may want to try and swap our 2016 1st from Knicks for 2015 1st from potential lottery team.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    Would you guys be willing to trade DeMar and our 1st round draft pick for Wiggins? Really?
    At the very least, you have to seriously consider it. DeMar's a good player, but he's nowhere close to the franchise-altering talent that Wiggins is proclaimed to be. Plus our 2014 pick is likely in the 20-something range (unlikely to uncover a hidden gem).

It would be a 1 step back, 3 steps forward scenario.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

18. Like Just Is, OldSkoolCool, CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter Uncle_Si's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    At the very least, you have to seriously consider it. DeMar's a good player, but he's nowhere close to the franchise-altering talent that Wiggins is proclaimed to be. Plus our 2014 pick is likely in the 20-something range (unlikely to uncover a hidden gem).

It would be a 1 step back, 3 steps forward scenario.
    I'd be more inclined to trade JV and a first. I don't think aa team with a high enough lottery pick would be interested in DD because he's too far ahead in the development phase.

Ideally PPat our first and a second rounder to move up.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes.

You can control Wiggins for 9 years at a fraction of the cost for the first 4 years.

DeRozan can opt out in 2 seasons.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Nilanka and Matt52 already provided good rationale for the move.

In addition to what they said, just think of the flexibility the team would have when building around a core of Valanciunas, Ross and Wiggins, who are all young and would be on rookie-scale deals next season.

Lowry could then be re-signed (essentially using DeRozan's cap space) and a starting PF could be targeted via trade. For longer-term solutions, the PG/PF spots could be addressed in the 2015/2016 drafts, where the Raptors already have 3 1st round picks.

With Salmons, Johnson, Hansborough, Patterson, Vasquez, Fields and Hayes all set to expire after either this season or next, MU would have all tons of roster flexibility to work with, to build around that 3-man nucleus over the next couple offseasons.

22. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes man, you don't consider this, you do it. I love Demar, but if you are not sold on Wiggins you need to watch more of him. He hasn't exactly took over the NCAA but you can see the potential just oozing out of him. I really think he is gonna be a great player, and although I'd love to see Demar on this team for years to come, I'd make that trade. All else being equal, we would still be very competitive if that were to happen IMO.

24. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Yes man, you don't consider this, you do it. I love Demar, but if you are not sold on Wiggins you need to watch more of him. He hasn't exactly took over the NCAA but you can see the potential just oozing out of him. I really think he is gonna be a great player, and although I'd love to see Demar on this team for years to come, I'd make that trade. All else being equal, we would still be very competitive if that were to happen IMO.
    The key to Wiggins, which gets little press, is he is an amazing defensive talent.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    The key to Wiggins, which gets little press, is he is an amazing defensive talent.
    Seriously, Wiggins and Ross would mean we never get scored on from the wing again.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Yep. If they managed to keep Ross and get Wiggins, that's a very promising duo for perimeter D.

And if they could do it without giving up Jonas? Man, that'd be amazing. Lots of people down on Jonas these days because of his up and down season. He's still very likely to at least be an above-average C, likely top 10 C (possibly better) and has legit size. Toronto has literally never had such a piece. Solid C's cost a premium, and trying to buy one on the market (or trade market) is very difficult, and risky. If franchise players are the hardest pieces to find, the next hardest are high-calibre centres. To me he's still easily the closest to "untouchable" piece on the Raps roster for this reason. Moving him creates a glaring hole that you might never be able to fill.

28. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information