Article on the front page:Ujiri’s Quiet Deadline All About The Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    As for the first, I mostly agree. I wouldn't say he did a terrible job with his body, but that it clearly was poorly guided as he spent far too much time gaining weight (good and bad). And I wonder if part of that is that he is an eager worker, and overdid it trying to do something he was told he needed to improve (pretty sure Casey mentioned strength/size every time he spoke about JV at the end of last season). Hopefully if they emphasize quickness/conditioning for him this summer, he'll bust his ass trying to improve that.
    Ya everyone told him he needs to get bigger...and he did so, so I guess there is some fault that lies on the organization, hopefully things change with a MU having more control now.

He needs to take the summer off from the Lithuanian national team to improve the quickness. I honestly think if he were quicker he would be a much better defensive presence, the one thing most critics of him are worried about going forward.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
      Ya everyone told him he needs to get bigger...and he did so, so I guess there is some fault that lies on the organization, hopefully things change with a MU having more control now.

He needs to take the summer off from the Lithuanian national team to improve the quickness. I honestly think if he were quicker he would be a much better defensive presence, the one thing most critics of him are worried about going forward.
      Don't think that's the difference-maker. Games are not going to destroy your ability to improve quickness. Game situations are the only definitive way to get a read on it. It's still the highest level of competition outside the NBA, with the fastest pace and best athletes. And practices for games are usually pretty intensive on the conditioning side.

The only negative is the lack of rest that could come with it. I'm hoping that no summer league will help that, as that would've been around the perfect time to rest before going to join his national team. Needs to get the chance to refresh his body a bit. Also the FIBA Worlds are shorter, and end a week earlier than last year's Eurobasket, so schedule-wise it should be a bit better. He had basically no time between last year's tournament and training camp.

I think most importantly is just the workout regimen and diet he has for the whole summer.

Comment

"That’s why the Raptors were kicking the tires on acquiring Rajon Rondo last week. He seemed like a gettable player who qualifies as a transcendent talent. There have been points over the last four years when Rondo looked like he might have been the best point guard in the NBA. Not everyone will agree with that assessment (Rondo is an incredibly divisive player), but for a club looking to get into the transcendent talent game he represented a player worth pursuing"

"Had they managed to acquire Rondo, the Raptors might have been able to start the process of making secondary moves to surround him with the right kind of complimentary talent"

Wow. Kyle Lowry continues to not get any respect.

Rondo = Good player. Big "name" player. But at this point in their career, Kyle Lowry is the BETTER player.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

Indeed, I don't care if he doesn't improve his post moves at all coming into next season. He simply has to get his body right first. The extra weight hurt his mobility and he needs to get that back, and also even more importantly his fitness/stamina needs to improve. He's often exhausted after only a few mins of game time. He really needs a good conditioning program and I'll be annoyed if he doesn't get it over the summer.
          Last edited by BigCamB; Tue Feb 25, 2014, 03:32 AM.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
            "That’s why the Raptors were kicking the tires on acquiring Rajon Rondo last week. He seemed like a gettable player who qualifies as a transcendent talent. There have been points over the last four years when Rondo looked like he might have been the best point guard in the NBA. Not everyone will agree with that assessment (Rondo is an incredibly divisive player), but for a club looking to get into the transcendent talent game he represented a player worth pursuing"

"Had they managed to acquire Rondo, the Raptors might have been able to start the process of making secondary moves to surround him with the right kind of complimentary talent"

Rondo = Good player. Big "name" player. But at this point in their career, Kyle Lowry is the BETTER player.
            That's because Rondo is coming off injury. If he comes back to the player he was, then he's definitely the better player. The guy's averaged a double-double with a shade under 5 rebounds while being arguably the best defensive player at his position since the 2010 season... and he's on the second-best non-rookie superstar contract (Steph Curry being the first). Not to mention being a proven clutch performer averaging 14, 9 and 6 in the playoffs.
            @Boymusic66

Comment

I think the interest in Rondo had just much to do with Lowry's contract uncertainty than anything else.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                Val 2nd yr: ORtg-106, DRtg-103, WS/48-.118

Roy 2nd yr: ORtg-105, DRtg-106, WS/48-.098

Val is ahead of where Hibbert was by all 3 measures
                These three ratings are heavily influenced by the team you play on.

Hibbert played on a 32-50 Indiana team his 2nd year that had ORTG - 103, DRTG - 106.
                Val plays on a 31-25 Raptors team that has ORTG - 107, DRTG - 104

Comment

Nor was it immediate, or even by his second year. Even as an anchor on D. He didn't really fully start to realize his potential until the last couple of years.
                  Hibbert was on a path to become yet another run-of-the-mill journeyman backup big man. Then 2 things happened that dramatically changed that trajectory:

1) Team doctors discovered a previously unknown asthma condition

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...122802792.html

2) Pacers ditched Jim O'Brien and replaced him with Frank Vogel, who installed a defensive mindset and continued to tutor and develop Hibbert.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...ndiana-pacers/

Hibbert is most definitely a case study of an organization, culture and coaching being able to maximize (and far exceed) initially perceived talent level.

Comment

I agree with the 2nd. The change in how they're using him has been horrible for his effectiveness. It's good they make the point of looking for him more in the post this year. He still needs some postup reps to help his development. But they have almost completely taken out the p'n'r from his usage, and that would seem to be the biggest on-court reason for his struggles.
                    Disagree that this is a bad thing. If we're entirely focused on winning, then, yes, it's bad.

If we're focused on developing players, then we want them to spend game time working on developing skills that we want them to have in the long term. Do we want JV to become a post threat or become Amir 2.0?

This is where lack of practice time affects developing NBA players.

Don't think that's the difference-maker. Games are not going to destroy your ability to improve quickness. Game situations are the only definitive way to get a read on it. It's still the highest level of competition outside the NBA, with the fastest pace and best athletes. And practices for games are usually pretty intensive on the conditioning side.

I think most importantly is just the workout regimen and diet he has for the whole summer.
                    If his schedule involves heavy competition, then his practices aren't going to involve technical work and he won't be able to fully commit to conditioning, because you have to peak for your games.
                    "Bruno?
                    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Rondo is not transcendent, on offense. The man can't shoot. Even Obama called him out on that one, lol. I remember JVG calling a Celtics game and said that he felt Rondo should be relatively easy to defend... just back off him and make him a shooter.

Yes, he's a nice defender, but a transcendent player needs to be able to create offense when the entire opposing team is keying on him; however, Rondo is bare above average usage (20%) with pathetic ORTG. Discounting this year, Rondo's ORTG is 101, 103 & 104. And here on RR we slam Derozan for ORTG of 108-109 @ 28% USG?

Basically, Rondo has done squat since the Celtics big 3 started declining, beginning around 2010-11 season. Too flawed a player, and also a bit of head-case. Massively overrated, and calling him transcendent is a joke. It's funny how transcendent player, now seems to mean "a good player on a winning team that made it to finals multiple times", that we're now overlooking the player contribution himself. There's so much luck and opportunity involved in getting to the finals.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba-wp7524
                      Last edited by golden; Tue Feb 25, 2014, 11:47 AM.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                        Rondo is not transcendent, on offense. The man can't shoot. Even Obama called him out on that one, lol. I remember JVG calling a Celtics game and said that he felt Rondo should be relatively easy to defend... just back off him and make him a shooter.

Yes, he's a nice defender, but a transcendent player needs to be able to create offense when the entire opposing team is keying on him; however, Rondo is bare above average usage (20%) with pathetic ORTG. Discounting this year, Rondo's ORTG is 101, 103 & 104. And here on RR we slam Derozan for ORTG of 108-109 @ 28% USG?

Basically, Rondo has done squat since the Celtics big 3 started declining, beginning around 2010-11 season. Too flawed a player, and also a bit of head-case. Massively overrated, and calling him transcendent is a joke. It's funny how transcendent player, now seems to mean "a good player on a winning team that made it to finals multiple times", that we're now overlooking the player contribution himself. There's so much luck and opportunity involved in getting to the finals.
                        Look at you throwing out ORTG everywhere now!
                        "Bruno?
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                          Look at you throwing out ORTG everywhere now!
                          Ooops, sorry man. Overdoing it a bit on stats, I guess. LOL.

But still, there's like a double standard on this board, where our players are massively flawed and players like Rondo are now 'transcendent', just because he benefited from playing with a healthy KG before the wheels came off? I mean seriously, what's up with that?

Comment

Ooops, sorry man. Overdoing it a bit on stats, I guess. LOL.

But still, there's like a double standard on this board, where our players are massively flawed and players like Rondo are now 'transcendent', just because he benefited from playing with a healthy KG before the wheels came off? I mean seriously, what's up with that?
                            No, no, I'm just teasing.

I was really high on Rondo in the other thread, but you've actually persuaded me otherwise.
                            "Bruno?
                            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba-wp7524

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/co...ting-is-wrong/
                              @Boymusic66

Comment

Thought it was one of the best things I've read by Chisholm. He's completely right, too.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X