Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bosh Vents (!)

From ESPN Rumor Central:

Raptors forward Chris Bosh went off on his teammates after their loss to Golden State on Saturday. Even though they lost again on Sunday to Portland, head coach Jay Triano liked that Bosh spoke up about his frustration.

"It's the same thing we have been saying over and over," Triano told the Toronto Sun of Bosh's comments. "Players feel the frustration the same way the coaches do and that's good. There are times we sit in there as coaches and wonder: 'Do these guys care as much as we do?' And they do. When he responds like that, it means that he does care. He's trying to encourage other guys to get this thing turned around."

Even though Bosh isn't the outspoken type, Triano wasn't surprised by what he said.

"I don't think you can say it's not like him," Triano said. "There have been times throughout his career where he has been frustrated."

I dont know about other people, but the last few games it looked as though Bosh had checked himself out mentally. Maybe this means he still cares about the Raptors... In this slide there has been very little to be happy about, maybe Bosh showing some emotion could be a positive.

My guess is that many of the players have tuned out/lost confidence in the coaching of the team. The coach has to be a prime motivator (more so in basketball than in other pro sports). If by his actions and in-game management the team detects prolonged inferiority....which they have to accept without questioning...the coach then loses the ability to motivate. And if this is true it is telling that it hasnt been 1 full season with JT at the helm.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
      My guess is that many of the players have tuned out/lost confidence in the coaching of the team. The coach has to be a prime motivator (more so in basketball than in other pro sports). If by his actions and in-game management the team detects prolonged inferiority....which they have to accept without questioning...the coach then loses the ability to motivate. And if this is true it is telling that it hasnt been 1 full season with JT at the helm.
      Maybe I'm naive, but whether its Jay or Jeff Van Gundy, I don't think a coaching change is going to make this team shine. We're too quick to blame coaching all the time. Not implying that Jay isn't at fault to some degree because I too sometimes wonder about some of his decisions, but I think how this team was built is the main problem. Not the coaching.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
        Maybe I'm naive, but whether its Jay or Jeff Van Gundy, I don't think a coaching change is going to make this team shine. We're too quick to blame coaching all the time. Not implying that Jay isn't at fault to some degree because I too sometimes wonder about some of his decisions, but I think how this team was built is the main problem. Not the coaching.
        I think it's a combination of player personnel and coaching. Coaches don't know what they're doing and players aren't complementing eachother well. Defensive schemes are a joke and on offense we got 2 PG's and a Point-Forward. Players see this obvious incompetence and start to tune the guy out.

I hope somebody final steps up and calls Triano and Company out.

Comment

The only thing a coaching change might be able to do is get these guys to play harder. That's about 50% of the coach's job if not more and Triano's not been able to do that. I know that we don't have good defensive players, but I don't think we're as bad as our league ranking - dead last. I'd say a coaching could help, but would it be enough to take them a round or two deep in the playoffs? Doubt it.

Comment

I'm tired of everyone walkin on eggshells and kissing athletes asses and begging them to stay, if you feel u want to leave, just let us know and go. The team has crapped out in the last couple weeks and he's just as much a part of it as anyone. Turnovers and pull up jumpers again, just like last year after the quick start. We werent that good before him and we still arent that good with him, so who cares. He has turned from a team player/ one of the guys to big enigma/ DVD star , just doesnt seem to be the leader we need ... when no one helped him when he got kicked in the nuts by Pierce it probably was cuz no one cared enough to.
            Rep T-Dot til they bury me....or until free agency

Comment

I have understood for awhile now that teams are a reflection of their coach especially at the pro level. Motivation and game management is a very significant % of a coach's duties. Coaches as well need to be matched to personnel. Some need to have a "mature" team while others can work with a new set of players or a young team. We must realize this is the NBA and essentially these are the best bb players in the world. They already know how to play the game to an extent. That is why good coaches like Larry Brown and Karl hate to play rookies and would not have been good choices for the Raptors. A Scott Skiles alternatively would have been great. He is a motivator, disciplined and defensive minded and feels the pulse of the game knowing when to call timeouts. But above all he holds the players accountable. It's the last point I believe which has been most problematic along with JT's self confessed lack of preparation sometimes which is a lethal mix (and a mistake that he publicly admitted).

JT is a soft coach for a soft team. When he was hired I thought it was a good hire on the x & o's not knowing he was unable to change his demeanour as the top guy. I do not want to discount that incorporating the new players and the Bosh f/a situation are not tough handles either.

Comment

Maybe I'm naive, but whether its Jay or Jeff Van Gundy, I don't think a coaching change is going to make this team shine.

We're too quick to blame coaching all the time. Not implying that Jay isn't at fault to some degree because I too sometimes wonder about some of his decisions, but I think how this team was built is the main problem. Not the coaching.
                I disagree -- I think the team is underperforming defensively and that a talented defensive minded head coach could get a lot more out of this side.

True, there would still be a lot of personnel problems ... and I agree that the main problem is how this team was build ... but a better Head Coach will get a lot more out of this side.

I think this team has enough talent to win 46-50 games with a Head Coach like Scott Skiles or Nate McMillan + would be a very difficult out come playoff time instead of the rollovers that the Raptors appear to be.
                nbaroundtable

Comment

Working...
                X