Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What will happen if the Raptors trade for an elite talent?

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    ohhhhhhh....I always hear people call him Giannis, I've never heard the Po nickname.
    Its Po because whatever the hell that last name is, is impossible to pronounce/remember.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Lots of talk about trading for elite talent. Threads on Kevin Love, Rajon Rondo, and trading up to get Wiggins (who is unproven, of course).

But what would it take to do that?

S&T Lowry? Maybe - unlikely
    DeRozan? Likely for salary purposes if nothing else
    Ross? If not DeRozan
    JV? Maybe
    Amir? Possibly
    cap relief in Salmons?
    2014 pick?
    2015 pick?
    2016 pick?
    2016 DEN/NY pick?

I get nervous when I hear about possibly trades like this. What happens if that player comes and eventually leaves because they feel there is no room for the team to get better?

Personally, I hope the Raps don't do anything rash - yet. I would continue looking to accumulate assets and takie advantage of the draft with players on rookie deals.

So, in conclusion, if the Raptors give up legit starter/All-Star (DeRozan), solid role player (Amir), prospect (JV/Ross), draft picks, where exactly does that leave the Raptors? Quite possibly the New York Knicks with Carmelo Anthony?

Patience and asset accumulation, please!

What do you think?
    I see your point about accumulating assets, but at what point do you pull that trigger? Right now you could argue that our regular rotation are all assets (short contracts or good value to dollar players, rookie contracts etc). We have picks and cap space too. What else are you hoping to add before making a run at a superstar? The roster is as good of a supporting cast as you can find on any contender. All we need is the player(s) to put us over the top. You look at all of the contenders out there and you have your max guy(s) and scrubs around them.

3. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I see your point about accumulating assets, but at what point do you pull that trigger? Right now you could argue that our regular rotation are all assets (short contracts or good value to dollar players, rookie contracts etc). We have picks and cap space too. What else are you hoping to add before making a run at a superstar? The roster is as good of a supporting cast as you can find on any contender. All we need is the player(s) to put us over the top. You look at all of the contenders out there and you have your max guy(s) and scrubs around them.
    I think we need a couple years of internal development. We also need to clear Landry and Chucky off the books.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

We'll be rewarded if we're patient until 2015.

Right now our committed salary for 2015-16 is $21m for DeRozan, JV, Ross, and Novak. Let's say Lowry is retained for around $10 million per year. And Patterson for $5 million per year. Add in about 2.5 million for a couple first-rounders drafted around 20th this summer and next.*

That's less than 40m for a pretty solid core of 8 players (assuming you draft useful rotation players) with your first-rounders, and enough room to go after one max-salary player, or at the very least a near all-star player. Then you round out the roster with a few cheap vets. The 2015 draft class is definitely weighted toward big-men at this point. Something we could definitely improve.

There's no point in trying to rush things by one year and giving up talent to free up salary, or trading players away to acquire players of an equal level to what we might acquire in 2015.

*This budget is based on the Raptors picking up Amir's team option this summer, but not keeping him beyond next year. I love him but PF is definitely an upgradeable position for us.
    tank-agnostic

6. Like Puffer liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I say, if the opportunity to get a game changer comes along, you take it. Period. That's the hard part. Then you sort the rest out after.

8. Like Mediumcore, Letter N, Scraptor liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    I say, if the opportunity to get a game changer comes along, you take it. Period. That's the hard part. Then you sort the rest out after.
    Fair point.

However I am scared you get a big name for a season and then they are gone - along with your assets.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    Its Po because whatever the hell that last name is, is impossible to pronounce/remember.
    Greek Freak is all i've really heard him referred to as. It's a great nickname though
    @Boymusic66

Raptors Republic Starter Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Agreed. In my opinion none of our assets save Val should be untouchable. Our 2014 draft pick is currently 20th, which going by MU's history would equate to a Faried/Fournier level player. If we pick up an impact player our 2015 pick might be worth even less. If we're not tanking these picks are of considerably lower than normal value.

That said, I would be hesitant to squander them on a guy who has say a year left on his contract, because we don't have the luxury of tossing seven+ years of player control for one.

So basically it depends on the situation. Sorry it's not a more satisfying answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TSF wrote: View Post
    Greek Freak is all i've really heard him referred to as. It's a great nickname though
    Alphabet Man has been thrown around on Yahoo! Fantasy Bball news updates.
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    In my opinion, you pull the trigger when you are not left with a skeleton roster and it is for a player who is not able to bolt after one year.

Extensions are unlikely to happen moving forward. Too much money left on table by player unless they are in the twilight of their career, like Kobe, and only sign for 2 years anywyas.
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair point.

However I am scared you get a big name for a season and then they are gone - along with your assets.
    I'm not too worried about this. If I can figure out that a guy like Love will leave after less than a season, then I trust the front office will see the same.

I think MU only trades for a big name if he's certain he'll sign an extension.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    its so easy to say Antetokounmpo. I don't get how its so hard for you guys

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahn - tey - toh | ko - um - poh

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you think?
    While I agree with some of the points you make , I want to know where do you see this Patience and accumulation of assets go ?

Lets look at this year for example, we get a draft pick of around 19+ and lets say we have some internal growth and this team is real and Lowry signs and next year our draft pick would be the same 19+ !!!

Will we ever compete with the current core of the players and few more 19+ draft picks for championships ? Unless Big Val becomes a Super star, I don't see this core and 2-3 more late first round picks will get us passed 3-4 spot in the east.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote matt52 wrote: View Post
    lots of talk about trading for elite talent. Threads on kevin love, rajon rondo, and trading up to get wiggins (who is unproven, of course).

But what would it take to do that?

S&t lowry? Maybe - unlikely
    derozan? Likely for salary purposes if nothing else
    ross? If not derozan
    jv? Maybe
    amir? Possibly
    cap relief in salmons?
    2014 pick?
    2015 pick?
    2016 pick?
    2016 den/ny pick?

I get nervous when i hear about possibly trades like this. What happens if that player comes and eventually leaves because they feel there is no room for the team to get better?

Personally, i hope the raps don't do anything rash - yet. I would continue looking to accumulate assets and takie advantage of the draft with players on rookie deals.

So, in conclusion, if the raptors give up legit starter/all-star (derozan), solid role player (amir), prospect (jv/ross), draft picks, where exactly does that leave the raptors? Quite possibly the new york knicks with carmelo anthony?

What do you think?

yes!

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1. I'm not in favour of gutting the team to get transcendental stars (via trade).

2. I prefer getting the "next one" via draft.

3. Ross and Valanciunas and their development continues to fascinate me.

4. I like patience, smart drafting, developing young controllable players.

5. Toronto ain't Miami (warm and no state taxes). Bringing in a star is not in the cards (we're similar to OKC, San Antonio and Indiana - except with a large market, strong ownership but with CAD $, super cold and minimal US TV exposure).
    ďThe saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.Ē - Martin Luther King

20. Like enlightenment, BigCamB liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair point.

Like Philly coughing up Iggy and picks to get Bynum and not even get a single minute out of him.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post

1. I'm not in favour of gutting the team to get transcendental stars (via trade).

2. I prefer getting the "next one" via draft.

3. Ross and Valanciunas and their development continues to fascinate me.

4. I like patience, smart drafting, developing young controllable players.

5. Toronto ain't Miami (warm and no state taxes). Bringing in a star is not in the cards (we're similar to OKC, San Antonio and Indiana - except with a large market, strong ownership but with CAD $, super cold and minimal US TV exposure).
    Agreed. I/We've all been traumatized by trades during the Colangelo era. Trades that we thought would/could have worked, but didn't. Trading young assets and picks for a "superstar" is too risky. Look at the Knicks and Nets who basically gave up so much of their future for an instant and short term success, but to no avail.

I would rather have build a team patiently and develop young talent, then add the right and fitting complementary pieces to the team, which can possibly include a star/superstar (i.e. David West was an all-star in NO, and he's doing well w/ the Pacers).

We should follow how San Antonio, Indiana, Portland built their teams. I think we are on our way. Plus we got a much better management led by Tim L and Masai. And of course we got Drizzy Drake! Like it or not, I think he's instrumental for the Raps in terms of marketing, exposure and maybe potential to attract talent.

23. Like enlightenment, BigCamB liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Like Philly coughing up Iggy and picks to get Bynum and not even get a single minute out of him.
    Agree that it was a disaster, but it all worked out for them in the end :P

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

"Patience and asset accumulation, please!"

I agree but I ask everyone to remember that excellent executives and excellent coaches are assets that in this crazy sport seem more easily acquired than transcendent players. Imagine a world where Brian Colangelo and Masai Ujiri exist as one person - now hire that person.

As for the coach.... my, my.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information