Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will happen if the Raptors trade for an elite talent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Fair point.

However I am scared you get a big name for a season and then they are gone - along with your assets.
    I'm not too worried about this. If I can figure out that a guy like Love will leave after less than a season, then I trust the front office will see the same.

I think MU only trades for a big name if he's certain he'll sign an extension.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
      Its Po because whatever the hell that last name is, is impossible to pronounce/remember.
      its so easy to say Antetokounmpo. I don't get how its so hard for you guys

Comment

Ahn - tey - toh | ko - um - poh

Comment

Patience and asset accumulation, please!

What do you think?
          While I agree with some of the points you make , I want to know where do you see this Patience and accumulation of assets go ?

Lets look at this year for example, we get a draft pick of around 19+ and lets say we have some internal growth and this team is real and Lowry signs and next year our draft pick would be the same 19+ !!!

Will we ever compete with the current core of the players and few more 19+ draft picks for championships ? Unless Big Val becomes a Super star, I don't see this core and 2-3 more late first round picks will get us passed 3-4 spot in the east.

Comment

matt52 wrote: View Post
            lots of talk about trading for elite talent. Threads on kevin love, rajon rondo, and trading up to get wiggins (who is unproven, of course).

But what would it take to do that?

S&t lowry? Maybe - unlikely
            derozan? Likely for salary purposes if nothing else
            ross? If not derozan
            jv? Maybe
            amir? Possibly
            cap relief in salmons?
            2014 pick?
            2015 pick?
            2016 pick?
            2016 den/ny pick?

I get nervous when i hear about possibly trades like this. What happens if that player comes and eventually leaves because they feel there is no room for the team to get better?

Personally, i hope the raps don't do anything rash - yet. I would continue looking to accumulate assets and takie advantage of the draft with players on rookie deals.

So, in conclusion, if the raptors give up legit starter/all-star (derozan), solid role player (amir), prospect (jv/ross), draft picks, where exactly does that leave the raptors? Quite possibly the new york knicks with carmelo anthony?

Patience and asset accumulation, please!

What do you think?

yes!
            Welp, that sucked.

Comment

1. I'm not in favour of gutting the team to get transcendental stars (via trade).

2. I prefer getting the "next one" via draft.

3. Ross and Valanciunas and their development continues to fascinate me.

4. I like patience, smart drafting, developing young controllable players.

5. Toronto ain't Miami (warm and no state taxes). Bringing in a star is not in the cards (we're similar to OKC, San Antonio and Indiana - except with a large market, strong ownership but with CAD $, super cold and minimal US TV exposure).
              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Fair point.

However I am scared you get a big name for a season and then they are gone - along with your assets.
                Like Philly coughing up Iggy and picks to get Bynum and not even get a single minute out of him.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post

1. I'm not in favour of gutting the team to get transcendental stars (via trade).

2. I prefer getting the "next one" via draft.

3. Ross and Valanciunas and their development continues to fascinate me.

4. I like patience, smart drafting, developing young controllable players.

5. Toronto ain't Miami (warm and no state taxes). Bringing in a star is not in the cards (we're similar to OKC, San Antonio and Indiana - except with a large market, strong ownership but with CAD $, super cold and minimal US TV exposure).
                  Agreed. I/We've all been traumatized by trades during the Colangelo era. Trades that we thought would/could have worked, but didn't. Trading young assets and picks for a "superstar" is too risky. Look at the Knicks and Nets who basically gave up so much of their future for an instant and short term success, but to no avail.

I would rather have build a team patiently and develop young talent, then add the right and fitting complementary pieces to the team, which can possibly include a star/superstar (i.e. David West was an all-star in NO, and he's doing well w/ the Pacers).

We should follow how San Antonio, Indiana, Portland built their teams. I think we are on our way. Plus we got a much better management led by Tim L and Masai. And of course we got Drizzy Drake! Like it or not, I think he's instrumental for the Raps in terms of marketing, exposure and maybe potential to attract talent.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                    Like Philly coughing up Iggy and picks to get Bynum and not even get a single minute out of him.
                    Agree that it was a disaster, but it all worked out for them in the end :P

Comment

"Patience and asset accumulation, please!"

I agree but I ask everyone to remember that excellent executives and excellent coaches are assets that in this crazy sport seem more easily acquired than transcendent players. Imagine a world where Brian Colangelo and Masai Ujiri exist as one person - now hire that person.

As for the coach.... my, my.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                        Agreed. In my opinion none of our assets save Val should be untouchable. Our 2014 draft pick is currently 20th, which going by MU's history would equate to a Faried/Fournier level player. If we pick up an impact player our 2015 pick might be worth even less. If we're not tanking these picks are of considerably lower than normal value.

That said, I would be hesitant to squander them on a guy who has say a year left on his contract, because we don't have the luxury of tossing seven+ years of player control for one.

So basically it depends on the situation. Sorry it's not a more satisfying answer.
                        No one is untouchable... Jv and ross are almost but not quite.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
                        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          I would add to your discussion, but I already 100% unequivocally agree. We have amazing chemistry at this point, and you don't disrupt that for a quasi-star. If lowry leaves, you reevaluate all that, but as of right now, we're not as far back as most would believe. We've kept pace with miami since gay left basically, and yes I know they're still much better, but they're not light years better, which is saying something.

My point being, I trust this scouting department we have in place. Four firsts in the next 3 years, hopefully two can pan out and turn into great players. Internal growth, adding great complimentary pieces could turn us into the next indiana/portland. That's where I want to be, because lebron james and chris paul aint coming to canada.
                          Never say never with TL at the head of the helm

Comment

In my opinion, you pull the trigger when you are not left with a skeleton roster and it is for a player who is not able to bolt after one year...

100%. You pull the trigger when you have a solid core, some young assets and you are in position to go over the cap to acquire an impact player signed to a long term deal.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                              ...Toronto ain't Miami (warm and no state taxes). Bringing in a star is not in the cards (we're similar to OKC, San Antonio and Indiana - except with a large market, strong ownership but with CAD $, super cold and minimal US TV exposure).
                              Raps got lots of US TV exposure when Vince was playing in TO and the Raps were winning.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                                Raps got lots of US TV exposure when Vince was playing in TO and the Raps were winning.
                                Lots is a stretch. We got some US TV exposure - if i remember maybe 3 or 4 national games (as opposed to zero right now)

Comment

Working...
                                X