Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 120

Thread: It's going to be hard to let Casey walk

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    3,855
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default It's going to be hard to let Casey walk

    At this moment Casey has the raptors 7 games over .500 with 26 games left. The raptors have to just win 16 of the 26 to have the all time best record in raptor history. If they make it pass the 1st round and compete in the second(which I think is very possible). You could easily argue that Casey had the best season of any raptor coach. Just like it was hard for Casey to trade Lowry after the season his had. It's going to be just as hard to not resign Casey.

    Personally his just as responsible for this season than any of the players. Casey has done what he was hired to do and that's change the culture. His brought a winning culture. The players except to win every time they step on the court. I hope his back in the fall with Lowry.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    677
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I hope he's gone but that's me. He's a good coach but the end of game iso's are bruuutal. He also plays favorites, you'll never see him give shit to patterson or salmons, yet he'll embarass amir in front of everybody. Its like he's scared of new guys, vets and stars.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,893
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    I hope he's gone but that's me. He's a good coach but the end of game iso's are bruuutal. He also plays favorites, you'll never see him give shit to patterson or salmons, yet he'll embarass amir in front of everybody. Its like he's scared of new guys, vets and stars.
    How many times have you seen him embarrass Amir?

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,661
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I credit Masai more for the culture. All the players have said there was a totally different atmosphere after that hiring.

    Casey has done ok. But I don't think it would be hard to let him walk. His lack of originality, mismanagement of timeouts, and strange substitution patterns have still persisted through the season.

    The measuring stick isn't "has this coach done better than any coach in Raps history?", it's "is this guy someone who can take us to the highest level?". First and second round appearances don't equal the highest level. Heck, that's one reason I despise the idea thrown around here occasionally of hiring George Karl.

    Not saying it would be easy to find an obviously better coach, because there are very few obviously great coaches. But I don't think any success he has this year should warrant an automatic re-hiring.

    And on top of that, it also depends the direction the team takes in free agency. If Lowry leaves, and the team expects to take a step back, Masai might want a different approach altogether.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm not sure I get you guys.

    Last year, when this team saucked serious, and I mean MAJOR balls.... did you think it would be how it is now? Why the hell would you want to fix what isn't broke?

    it makes very little sense.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,893
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure I get you guys.

    Last year, when this team saucked serious, and I mean MAJOR balls.... did you think it would be how it is now? Why the hell would you want to fix what isn't broke?

    it makes very little sense.
    I think white men sounds more like he wants to strap rocket boosters to what isn't broke.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I look at it this way. in a sport that has shown statistically that outside of 5-6 coaches over the last 30 years, no coach has made a tangible statistical impact upon a team he has been hired to coach. So, with coaches being for the most part, a lot less important than people actually think, why would you risk playing with good team chemistry, and alienating players that have been promised that this franchise will not continually rotate coaches and GM's in and out of the door?

    It makes zero sense really.

    So, you can maybe just go on out and get Pops... or one of the top guys, Phil is another.... ya, go get um.... I'm sure they want in on Toronto.... but, if you aren't successful.... have a drink, relax, and try to appreciate what ya got.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,661
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    I think white men sounds more like he wants to strap rocket boosters to what isn't broke.
    Pretty much. It's nice to have a smooth riding bicycle, until you realize you're in a motorcycle race.

    Casey still has a lot to prove if he's going to be the "winning" coach we need if improving on this season is the goal going forward.

    And well, we already know there are potential issues in using him as a rebuilding/development coach. (*cough* Alan Anderson *cough*)

  9. Like Joey, Scraptor liked this post
  10. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,893
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    I look at it this way. in a sport that has shown statistically that outside of 5-6 coaches over the last 30 years, no coach has made a tangible statistical impact upon a team he has been hired to coach. So, with coaches being for the most part, a lot less important than people actually think, why would you risk playing with good team chemistry, and alienating players that have been promised that this franchise will not continually rotate coaches and GM's in and out of the door?

    It makes zero sense really.

    So, you can maybe just go on out and get Pops... or one of the top guys, Phil is another.... ya, go get um.... I'm sure they want in on Toronto.... but, if you aren't successful.... have a drink, relax, and try to appreciate what ya got.
    I completely agree.

    The other post i commented about also just said to not "automatically extend" Casey.

    I guess see who's on the market. Does SVG want in, or George Karl(?) or just some top coach? Which seems unlikely. If not, extend Casey.

  11. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    I look at it this way. in a sport that has shown statistically that outside of 5-6 coaches over the last 30 years, no coach has made a tangible statistical impact upon a team he has been hired to coach. So, with coaches being for the most part, a lot less important than people actually think, why would you risk playing with good team chemistry, and alienating players that have been promised that this franchise will not continually rotate coaches and GM's in and out of the door?

    It makes zero sense really.

    So, you can maybe just go on out and get Pops... or one of the top guys, Phil is another.... ya, go get um.... I'm sure they want in on Toronto.... but, if you aren't successful.... have a drink, relax, and try to appreciate what ya got.
    The only 'evidence' I've seen of this is one Dave Berri article, and it's complete horseshit. I'd love to see another source if you have one.

  12. #11
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't think DC was totally to blame for the awfulness of last season and I don't think he's totally responsible for this current team's turnaround.

    He has a solid group of players who are all dedicated to putting the team first and have committed to the defensive end. Team chemistry and the 'fit' of individual players is more the responsibility of the GM than the coach; I don't think anybody anticipated the Sac-4 players integrating as quickly or as positively as they have.

    If a better option becomes available, I'd support the move without thinking twice about DC. I could see TL using his big-name luring abilities to find a proven coach who would instantly demand the respect of the players and grab the attention of the rest of the league, not to mention free agents.

  13. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter Uncle_Si's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    547
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Casey isn't MU's guy. Not saying Casey couldn't grow into it but MU is ultimately responsible for this team. My biggest question is, can Casey grow into a championship head coach. I'm not sure he can but I don't know all that much anyway.

    I heard Phil Jackson loves Toronto.

  14. #13
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,661
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    I completely agree.

    The other post i commented about also just said to not "automatically extend" Casey.

    I guess see who's on the market. Does SVG want in, or George Karl(?) or just some top coach? Which seems unlikely. If not, extend Casey.
    We, as fans, tend to focus on obvious choices a lot as well. What if someone new pops up? A random assistant who Masai feels would be a great coach? Or maybe a former player? Hornacek's doing a great job in PHX, after being an assistant under the dreadful Tyrone Corbin in Utah. Clearly his bball knowledge and coaching ability was not molded under Corbin. And I don't know if there are any, but what if an assistant in a quality system like the Spurs, Bulls, Heat, Pacers, OKC, or whatever, becomes available? Sometimes you have to gamble to win big. Just gotta hope Ujiri/Leiweke are the right guys to have rolling the dice.

  15. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    677
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    How many times have you seen him embarrass Amir?
    Once, a couple of games ago..he just really comes across as the kind of guy who picks his battles. Hell, bargnani was "our guy", but valanciunas can do no right?

  16. #15
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    2,934
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    I hope he's gone but that's me. He's a good coach but the end of game iso's are bruuutal. He also plays favorites, you'll never see him give shit to patterson or salmons, yet he'll embarass amir in front of everybody. Its like he's scared of new guys, vets and stars.
    What the hell are you talking about?

    I agree w/ ChristianL, Casey has done what he was hired to do and that's change the culture. He's brought a winning culture here. Raps are now one of the BEST defensive teams in the league. They were one of the worst if not the worst defensive team before Casey.

    Also, DeRozan has developed his game, became an all-star under Casey. I also like where the development of Ross and JV is going. Lowry has also excelled and became one of the best PG's in the league w/ Casey as the coach.

    I think you bring Dwane Casey back. To me it's a no brainer.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  17. Like colef5 liked this post
  18. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    My biggest question is, can Casey grow into a championship head coach. I'm not sure he can but I don't know all that much anyway.
    I agree with this, but more importantly 'Can Casey grow into a championship head coach within the timeframe that it'll take the Raptors to become contenders'?

    And I don't have an answer either. Trying to grade a coach's learning curve is really difficult. It seems like Casey has grown as a coach tremendously from the beginning of the year to now, but I don't think it's like a player learning a post game where he progresses slowly for a long time and then the body and the muscle-memory and everything just falls into place and he suddenly makes a big improvement.

    Just like the players, I'm very curious to see how he performs in the playoffs. Certainly that was something he was lauded for in Dallas, in terms of game-to-game adjustments over the course of a series.
    tank-agnostic

  19. #17
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ANGERVILLE: Population 1
    Posts
    7,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Okay I don't understand some of you guys do you not see that Casey never makes any adjustments? I like a lot of what he does but he's extremely stubborn in what he does even if everyone can see it is not working he goes to it everytime and for the people looking at what the teams record, Masai himself said Casey is bit being judged on wins and loses. Also Lionel Hollins won 50 games last year and got fired so you can just say just cuz our record is 32-25 we should bring him back

  20. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
  21. #18
    Raptors Republic Rookie Niagara Raptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Niagara Region
    Posts
    178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I credit Masai more for the culture. All the players have said there was a totally different atmosphere after that hiring.

    Casey has done ok. But I don't think it would be hard to let him walk. His lack of originality, mismanagement of timeouts, and strange substitution patterns have still persisted through the season.

    The measuring stick isn't "has this coach done better than any coach in Raps history?", it's "is this guy someone who can take us to the highest level?". First and second round appearances don't equal the highest level. Heck, that's one reason I despise the idea thrown around here occasionally of hiring George Karl.

    Not saying it would be easy to find an obviously better coach, because there are very few obviously great coaches. But I don't think any success he has this year should warrant an automatic re-hiring.

    And on top of that, it also depends the direction the team takes in free agency. If Lowry leaves, and the team expects to take a step back, Masai might want a different approach altogether.
    I humbly disagree with your opinion white. not disregarding what Masai has done but even before Masai was here under Casey I've liked the culture behind the scenes. there is not internal fighting or cliques that I have ever seen, everyone gets along and is a good teammate to each other. Casey has never embarrassed his players in the media (he has critiqued but not often and never cruelly) the players play hard and love Casey and never upstage him in public. They are good "soldiers" in a sense under him

  22. #19
    Raptors Republic Rookie Niagara Raptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Niagara Region
    Posts
    178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    now if u want to talk about substitutions or after time out plays that Casey needs to get better but I think he has done a great job creating a good atmosphere in the locker room (Colangelo does deserve credit too because Derozan, Johnson etc were all brought in by him and they are all good character guys )

    I do agree though I would get rid of him if a better coach was available ... sports is a cruel mistress

  23. #20
    Raptors Republic Rookie RaptorsForever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    we will have to see how he reacts in the playoffs. I know it would be tough for MU to let him walk after a season like this, but I think he should let him become our defensive coach (his specialty) and bring in a new head coach.

  24. Like tylerPraps liked this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •