Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Greivis Vasquez?

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Vasquez is a good back-up, but I don't like him. He shoots too much for a poor shooter. He doesn't always get the best scorer on his unit involved in the offence. His D is pretty awful. I'd like to draft a back-up and let De Colo manage if the rook isn't ready right from the get go.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Firstly the team needs someone who can play in the low post, so that's who we should draft.

As for General Greivis, even yesterday each time his shot went up I would cringe but somehow it would go in. He's an okay back-up for now but moving forward we probably need a different backup

Raptors Republic Rookie RepTdot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Vasquez is the perfect back-up for this team...a pick & roll guy for the bigs and a starter quality facilitator in case of a Lowry injury. I would resign him as long as he accepts his role would be as backup...alot depends on what happens with Lowry though, if he does the stupid move & leaves then GV value obviously goes up

4. Like Vásquez_Valančiūnas liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jpaps wrote: View Post
    Firstly the team needs someone who can play in the low post, so that's who we should draft.

As for General Greivis, even yesterday each time his shot went up I would cringe but somehow it would go in. He's an okay back-up for now but moving forward we probably need a different backup
    We do have multiple picks in the draft you know. No reason we can't get both.

Raptors Republic Starter Raptor Jesus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Maybe it's that my expectations for a backup are low. Ideally, I want Lowry eating up 35 minutes per game, without any 2-PG lineups. Don't think Vasquez should be playing more than 13-15 mpg.
    This.^^

Also somewhere in the telecast they mentioned us being 27th-30th in the league for points allowed in the 2nd, (best in the fourth was their point) and all I could hear was the second we give GV the ball the defence shuts down.

Plus I get the feeling he thinks he'll be a starting calibre point guard in the NBA soon pushing Lowry for his job, which is shit-eating crazy and quiet frankly, for a franchise that already lived through point guard "controversies" and turn-style defence, that should be the last thing on our minds.

Raptors Republic Starter Uncle_Si's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
    This.^^

Also somewhere in the telecast they mentioned us being 27th-30th in the league for points allowed in the 2nd, (best in the fourth was their point) and all I could hear was the second we give GV the ball the defence shuts down.

Plus I get the feeling he thinks he'll be a starting calibre point guard in the NBA soon pushing Lowry for his job, which is shit-eating crazy and quiet frankly, for a franchise that already lived through point guard "controversies" and turn-style defence, that should be the last thing on our minds.
    He's said in a couple interviews that playing behind Lowry is a good experience for when he's a starter again. I'm not a fan of his just based off his interviews seems like he sees this as a temporary position until he's a starter again. He has a decent compete level sometimes but it tends to come after he fcks up. He can't play D whatsoever. I say get rid of him and get what u can in return.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I think GV is just warming up with the raptors. I think it's a lot more difficult to come to a new team at the point. Though I agree he goes up and down -- it's plain to see that the ups are coming a little more frequently every week since he got here. He's an emotional guy and he's used to being a starter and I think we're just now seeing him get comfortable in his role. Of course if he's not into a consistent groove by the end of the season, then we don't want him. But it's pretty funny to me to hear y'all cracking on him after he was killing it last night.

9. Like Vásquez_Valančiūnas liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote navyblues wrote: View Post
    I think GV is just warming up with the raptors. I think it's a lot more difficult to come to a new team at the point. Though I agree he goes up and down -- it's plain to see that the ups are coming a little more frequently every week since he got here. He's an emotional guy and he's used to being a starter and I think we're just now seeing him get comfortable in his role. Of course if he's not into a consistent groove by the end of the season, then we don't want him. But it's pretty funny to me to hear y'all cracking on him after he was killing it last night.
    Also this which many dont know or discount. Important since he wasnt the fastest guy in the world to begin with....

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/5/2...rgery-pelicans

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I'm in the minority here, but I think Vasquez is a serviceable backup.
    Exactly, people here have been spoiled by Jose Calderon over the years and its rare to get a point guard who is a very good backup.

Raptors Republic Rookie Jack_Bauer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote navyblues wrote: View Post
    This is a fair point. I'm willing to give him more time to get comfortable. Like I said, a huge upgrade over Augustin and Byucks, but his decision making needs to be better. While he did indeed kill it last night, he also made some costly plays that cost us the game. One back to back possession in the second OT, he looked for his own shot when he had open teammates (Val and DD). The result? Val goaltended his floater (debatable whether this was a floater or a misthrown ally-opp, but it looked like a floater to me) and he got called for a charge. He should have passed it off in both occasions and would have resulted in easy buckets.

As somebody mentioned, when he's playing 12-15 minutes, he does a lot of good things. But the issue typically arises when he plays extended minutes and starts to force his own shots rather than run the offense.
    Last edited by Jack_Bauer; Fri Feb 28th, 2014 at 02:15 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

To me, if we can keep both Lowry and Vasquez, we have to do it, plain and simple. This PG duo will be great for years to come, I can tell you this.

14. Like Vásquez_Valančiūnas liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    To me, if we can keep both Lowry and Vasquez, we have to do it, plain and simple. This PG duo will be great for years to come, I can tell you this.
    Lowry yes, Vasquez no. Vasquez is a pass first PG who shoots first and doesn't set up the offense until the clock is at 3 seconds. Exactly like Jose. I'm done with those types.

I would like us to pick up a Reggie Bullock or Reggie Jackson type players that can come in and give some hard D and intensity.

Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Two things that confuse me about GV:
    1. How in the hell did Vasquez average 14 and 9 last season??? Like im not even joking how could a head coach let this guy play 35mpg??? There is absolutely no way he should play more than 20min
    2. Vasquez is known as a pass first PG but whenever he gets into the game he becomes Alan Anderson and chucks away at will! and he never runs the offense ! He just dribbles around for like 15 sec and then tells one of the bigs to come and set a screen!!!! Someone needs to ask Vasquez why do you never runs plays ?? Maybe Casey is telling to do this but its unacceptable regardless. He needs to realize that you are a fucking PG stop shooting these ridiculous shots and run the offense for fuck sakes

Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Lowry yes, Vasquez no. Vasquez is a pass first PG who shoots first and doesn't set up the offense until the clock is at 3 seconds. Exactly like Jose. I'm done with those types.

I would like us to pick up a Reggie Bullock or Reggie Jackson type players that can come in and give some hard D and intensity.
    How is that exactly like jose he was the opposite of what you just described!?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
    Two things that confuse me about GV:
    1. How in the hell did Vasquez average 14 and 9 last season??? Like im not even joking how could a head coach let this guy play 35mpg??? There is absolutely no way he should play more than 20min
    2. Vasquez is known as a pass first PG but whenever he gets into the game he becomes Alan Anderson and chucks away at will! and he never runs the offense ! He just dribbles around for like 15 sec and then tells one of the bigs to come and set a screen!!!! Someone needs to ask Vasquez why do you never runs plays ?? Maybe Casey is telling to do this but its unacceptable regardless. He needs to realize that you are a fucking PG stop shooting these ridiculous shots and run the offense for fuck sakes
    When Vasquez came to Toronto, with a Lowry trade looming, the plan was to make him the starting PG. Obviously things took an unexpected turn (for the better ). I think the style that Grevis is playing is Casey influenced and is not his natural style.

This is a good problem to have. GM's around have taken notice of what he can do as a starter. He becomes an unrestricted FA at the end of the season and somebody is going to make an offer that Raps. will find not worth matching. If Lowry re signs, trade Vasquez via. S & T or 3 team or some thing else.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Vasquez should stay because you want your backup PG to be okay with being a backup PG. I think he can be a very good backup- I just don't see him being okay with it. Coming off putting up a tier below all-star numbers in 'Nawlins, he signed in Sac-town expecting to be a starter and then this trade completely changed his role. He'll probably be a decent starter for the next couple years, and then be a great backup- like an andre miller lite.
    @Boymusic66

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    How is that exactly like jose he was the opposite of what you just described!?
    Jose was better at setting up the offense earlier true...but he wasn't that much quicker at setting up the offense as you think. Jose was brutal most times at not setting the offense till 10 seconds.

I'm not gonna argue it further. I don't like either of their play styles and want no part

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

let me tell something you guys are talking about greivis and dont know nothing about him. you said that hi goes up and down.. he had a surgery in his ankle i wanna see you guys working as hard as him to get to nba level.. snce his first year he only have been improving and led the nba in assist around 700 not rondo not CP and with a losing team.. if he is taking shots im sure that is the coach is asking for... and lowry always play with JV AMIR DEROZAN AND ROSS.. GREIVIS playd with the second team SALMONS PP HANSBROUG sometimes NOVAK SO TELL ME?? and we are not clippers or miami or pacers that have a all star bench.. and is funny cuz you blame his last two turnovers but dont blame that lowry miss twice to win unselfish too and derozan miss couple of FT... love General Greivis and his game and he is young he could bring greatness to the raptors if you give him the starter spot.. GO RAPS!!

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you guys are being too harsh on GV.

23. Like Nilanka, Bendit liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mmejias19 wrote: View Post
    let me tell something you guys are talking about greivis and dont know nothing about him. you said that hi goes up and down.. he had a surgery in his ankle i wanna see you guys working as hard as him to get to nba level.. snce his first year he only have been improving and led the nba in assist around 700 not rondo not CP and with a losing team.. if he is taking shots im sure that is the coach is asking for... and lowry always play with JV AMIR DEROZAN AND ROSS.. GREIVIS playd with the second team SALMONS PP HANSBROUG sometimes NOVAK SO TELL ME?? and we are not clippers or miami or pacers that have a all star bench.. and is funny cuz you blame his last two turnovers but dont blame that lowry miss twice to win unselfish too and derozan miss couple of FT... love General Greivis and his game and he is young he could bring greatness to the raptors if you give him the starter spot.. GO RAPS!!
    No thanks. The day Vasquez becomes our starting PG is the day we start tanking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information