Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Colangelo admits to trying to tank at Sloan Conference

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Colangelo admits to trying to tank at Sloan Conference

http://nba.si.com/2014/02/28/bryan-c...ptors-tanking/

“Admittedly, I tried to tank a couple of years ago,” Colangelo said during Sloan’s basketball analytics panel. “I didn’t come out and say, ‘Coach you have to lose games.’ I wanted him to establish a winning tradition and culture, but I wanted him to do it in the framework of playing and developing young players.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Think we all already knew that, but still WOW!

Post Thanks / Like

You're not supposed to outright admit it. Does Bryan still want to work in basketball? The Knicks could use him.

Post Thanks / Like

Even Sam Hinkie won't outright say he's tanking, and his team has given starts to Sims, Moultrie, Orton, Lavoy Allen, Elliot Williams, Hollis Thompson, and Tony Wroten
    @Boymusic66

Raptors Republic Starter 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No big deal him being honest. The league considers tanking legitimate strategy.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...ely-a-strategy

Post Thanks / Like

No big deal.

The whole culture thing is clearly referring to Casey's first year.

And like most things in toronto he failed at that as well.
    "You don’t know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

7. Like drunkmunky, Letter N, tucas, JimiCliff liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Really? B.C tanked to draft Terrence Ross? Hahaha this guy is even bad @ tanking! You don't tank for the 8th pick! It has to be at least top 5

9. Like Bendit liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter rapfan10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not surprised. If you saw the end of year news conference he would always say I think we won more games than we would have liked to. But the fact that last game was the difference between lillard and ross is huge.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Colangelo was on a panel today discussing basketball analytics with SVG, Lowe, Steve Kerr, Brad Stevens and Mike Zarren. I watched the 2013 panel discussing a similar topic (great watch if you have the time).

His comment about tanking is fine (he's not working so should have no problem publicly admitting what he was trying to do). What's more interesting is that he's actually on a panel talking about analytics when he had guys like Bargnani and Gay on his roster.

12. Like Fully liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Colangelo was on a panel today discussing basketball analytics with SVG, Lowe, Steve Kerr, Brad Stevens and Mike Zarren. I watched the 2013 panel discussing a similar topic (great watch if you have the time).

His comment about tanking is fine (he's not working so should have no problem publicly admitting what he was trying to do). What's more interesting is that he's actually on a panel talking about analytics when he had guys like Bargnani and Gay on his roster.
    He's not working and will probably not for the foreseeable future. Shit like that you keep under wraps. Would've loved to see his move had the Cavs draft JV. He's an idiot.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Rookie gametime's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

While we knew this, I think the 'wow' moment is not so much tanking as it is an NBA GM openly admitting to doing it and breaking the so called unwritten rules of such tactics.

Post Thanks / Like

Or he's trying the "Hire me! I have absolutely no shame!" approach of job-hunting.
    tank-agnostic

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Walmart is hiring.. just sayin

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he figures his days as a potential NBA GM are over. That's really the only thing I can see from this. Maybe he's attempting to help other GM's by showing them what not to do?

Also figures that Casey has no comment on the matter (via Twitter).
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well by him admitting this I'm pretty sure nobody is gonna hire him as a GM

Raptors Republic Starter 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Whether he does or doesn't get another GM gig would have zero to do with his comments and evrything to do with his track record. People seem to think tanking is some dirty little secret. It's not.

The NBA's president of basketball operations, Rod Thorn, acknowledges that losing games in the name of better draft picks -- commonly known as "tanking" -- is "definitely a strategy" for front offices.

"I don't look at it as tanking," Thorn told ESPN.com during an interview for TrueHoop TV record on the Friday of All-Star weekend in New Orleans. "I look at it as I don't want to be at this level here. I may have to get worse to be good. It's definitely a strategy and more and more teams are looking at it."

20. Like JawsGT, Nilanka, Fully liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie Jack_Bauer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
    Really? B.C tanked to draft Terrence Ross? Hahaha this guy is even bad @ tanking! You don't tank for the 8th pick! It has to be at least top 5
    The Raptors were garbage that year, the lock-out shortened season. They had the seventh worst record at 23-43. Unfortunately, other teams were also tanking and it came down to beating Atlanta (a playoff team) twice in April, Ben Uzoh's triple double in the last game of the season etc.

The Wizards had the second worst record at 20-46, underscoring the cluster of teams within one or two losses of each other. During that year, the Nets were overtly tanking so they could keep the pick they conveyed to Portland and GSW shut down Bogut and Curry in a blatant attempt to tank (both teams finished below Toronto, how's that for karma).

Ultimately, tanking is a risky crap shoot.

If you want to fault BC for anything, it should be that he didn't see the tank through. He got impatient with the rebuild and wanted immediate results (likely to save his job). It takes several years to successfully "tank". But tanking can also go wrong if the ping pong balls don't fall your way.
    Last edited by Jack_Bauer; Fri Feb 28th, 2014 at 08:28 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie Jack_Bauer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a link?

Post Thanks / Like

If only somebody had asked him to explain why the Raps got so much better without Gay.

24. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Whether he does or doesn't get another GM gig would have zero to do with his comments and evrything to do with his track record. People seem to think tanking is some dirty little secret. It's not.

The NBA's president of basketball operations, Rod Thorn, acknowledges that losing games in the name of better draft picks -- commonly known as "tanking" -- is "definitely a strategy" for front offices.

"I don't look at it as tanking," Thorn told ESPN.com during an interview for TrueHoop TV record on the Friday of All-Star weekend in New Orleans. "I look at it as I don't want to be at this level here. I may have to get worse to be good. It's definitely a strategy and more and more teams are looking at it."
    Adam Silver flat-out denied that tanking exists in the NBA. Also, that quote from Rod Thorn reads much more strongly in print and out of context. If you watch the actual video, he comes off as much less forthright.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information