Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: Is Toronto worst 3rd seed EVER?

  1. #61
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    '01 Heat were pretty bad for a 3rd seed. The year they lost Alonzo Mourning but still finished no.3.
    I think that all of this is not really relevant and I'll tell you why:

    How many 3 seeds have even made the finals? Basketball is great because the best teams are the best the whole year (99% of the time).

    This does not take away from the fact that we are a 3rd seed, and that's an accomplishment. But in reality, seeding matters most in the 1 vs. 2 matchup in the conference finals, where the home team wins game 7 way more often.

    So yes, comparing us to other 3 seeds who also eventually lost in the 2nd round (maybe 3rd) is hating just to hate.

    I didn't see anything about this when the Knicks were clearly playing an unsustainable form of basketball and now are far worse this year. You could argue that the knicks were the worst 2 seed ever last year...but no one does. why? because we're the raptors and they're the knicks

    boy i sound bitter....

  2. #62
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    I think that all of this is not really relevant and I'll tell you why:

    How many 3 seeds have even made the finals? Basketball is great because the best teams are the best the whole year (99% of the time).

    This does not take away from the fact that we are a 3rd seed, and that's an accomplishment. But in reality, seeding matters most in the 1 vs. 2 matchup in the conference finals, where the home team wins game 7 way more often.

    So yes, comparing us to other 3 seeds who also eventually lost in the 2nd round (maybe 3rd) is hating just to hate.

    I didn't see anything about this when the Knicks were clearly playing an unsustainable form of basketball and now are far worse this year. You could argue that the knicks were the worst 2 seed ever last year...but no one does. why? because we're the raptors and they're the knicks

    boy i sound bitter....
    Well, the Mavs won a title as a 3rd seed a few years ago. Quite a few 3rd seeds are contenders. Maybe not the top contenders but teams that have a reasonable chance.

    I don't see this as a Raptors thing. It's a general trend to bash the "Leastern" conference at every opportunity, it is a fashionable thing to do lately. There was a lot of that last year as well, but this year especially since the East is even worse. It might be a bit annoying but it's understandable, only two East teams are above .500 vs West.

  3. #63
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    Well, the Mavs won a title as a 3rd seed a few years ago. Quite a few 3rd seeds are contenders. Maybe not the top contenders but teams that have a reasonable chance.

    I don't see this as a Raptors thing. It's a general trend to bash the "Leastern" conference at every opportunity, it is a fashionable thing to do lately. There was a lot of that last year as well, but this year especially since the East is even worse. It might be a bit annoying but it's understandable, only two East teams are above .500 vs West.
    I think we realistically might be one of the worst 3rd seeds of all time. This is not a comment on the Raptors though, this is a comment on the eastern conference. We're widely regarded as the 10th-12th best team in the league.

  4. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
  5. #64
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    3,194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    what if the win a round and challenge or win the second?

  6. #65
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,654
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    I think we realistically might be one of the worst 3rd seeds of all time. This is not a comment on the Raptors though, this is a comment on the eastern conference. We're widely regarded as the 10th-12th best team in the league.
    Yup. Ideally, a 3rd seed would be discussed as the 5th/6th best in the league.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  7. #66
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,761
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I went back over every NBA season from 1980-1981 through this year.

    Toronto has the lowest win % of a third or higher seed that was also third or higher in conference standing since the 1983-1984 Utah Jazz. The Jazz had the third best record in the West with .549 but were the second seed in the playoffs.

    However, the WORST 3rd seed since 1980 was the 2005-2006 Denver Nuggets. They were tied for 7th in the conference with a winning percentage of .537, but were the third seed because they won their division.

    The 2004-2005 Boston Celtics were tied for the 4th best record in the conference but were the 3rd seed in the playoffs also because they won their division.

    So to recap, IF Toronto finishes the season with the same winning percentage they have now, and it is good enough for the third best record in the conference, it will be the worst winning percentage since 1984.

    However, if you are just looking at lowest winning percentage of the third seed it goes to the Nuggets, but that's only because of the NBA's weird rules for winning the division.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee

    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

  8. #67
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    I think we realistically might be one of the worst 3rd seeds of all time. This is not a comment on the Raptors though, this is a comment on the eastern conference. We're widely regarded as the 10th-12th best team in the league.
    I actually think this team is better than that. I think we are top ten and better than the 6-9 seeds in the West. GSW, PHX, and DAL are all teams that I believe we could beat in a 7 game series, MIN for sure. MEM is a different story, as they are starting to come around on the backs of their defense, and because of their inside dominance would surely be a tough series for the Raps. I also think they make the playoffs and will be a tough out for whoever they play in the first round. They are the sleeper team in the West for me, and could sneak out of the 1st round because there defense will give them the chance to win games. But outside of the top 5 in the West, I don't think there is much there with the rest of the conference, and in the East it's really just IND and MIA, we can hang with the rest of the East for sure.

    I don't think our overall record is a clear indication of how good this team is. We have played .675 ball since the Gay trade, which would put us up there in terms of percentage alongside the Clips and Rockets and Blazers. Now I don't think we are as good as those teams, but given how well we can play defense, I think we can go with any team outside of top 5 in West and top 2 in East. Furthermore, I think we could give the Pacers a very hard time in the playoffs. We are both good/great defensive teams, but the Pacers offense isn't as good as ours IMO. They utilize more ISO's with George and Stevenson on the perimeter and West, hibbert and Scola in the post. They are more one on one offensively than the Raps and I think that would work to our advantage. There biggest advantage would be the Hibbert/JV matchup, and their experience, but I think the Raps would make it tough on them if we were to meet in the playoffs.

  9. #68
    Raptors Republic All-Star brothersteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,078
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Paul @Paul__Dawkins
    Does Toronto finish with the 3rd seed in the East, or do the Bulls overtake them?


    Jorge Sierra @hoopshype

    I'd go with Toronto. They don't have a particularly tough schedule. Final six games are against Milwaukee (twice), New York (twice), Detroit and Philadelphia. Those could easily be six wins.

    No disrespect to the Raptors, but they may be the worst No. 3 seed I've seen since I started covering the NBA. What they are accomplishing is commendable, but Toronto being so high in the standings is very much a reflection of the sorry state of the Eastern Conference.

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    A dose of reality or hating just to hate?
    How about just not really looking at what's really happening in the East - past or present (or maybe Jorge started covering the NBA last year?)

    If you were wondering if the East had the weakest final 6 playoff seeds in living memory, you need to check the record books a little closer:

    2009 Atlanta 4th, 47 wins
    2008 Cleveland 4th, 45 wins
    2007 Toronto 3rd, 47 wins
    2006 Denver 3rd, 44 wins
    2005 Boston 3rd, 45 wins
    2004 Miami 4th, 42 wins

    The current Eastern Conference playoff seeds 3-7 hold down the number 1, 4, 5, 9 and 12 spots for the fewest points allowed in the NBA. They donít have the offensive flash of their Western Conference counterparts, but isnít the analogy, scoring can win in the regular season, but defense wins in the playoffs.

    Underestimating The NBA Eastern Conference Again
    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

    Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

  10. #69
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    10,435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The spurs are currently putting a beat down on the bulls right now 50-19 early 2nd ! Ahaha

  11. #70
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote brothersteve wrote: View Post
    How about just not really looking at what's really happening in the East - past or present (or maybe Jorge started covering the NBA last year?)
    Well the Raptors being a 3rd seed is definitely at least partly because of the weakness of the conference. Also kinda poor form to throw in #4 seeds with the comparison. There can be a pretty big drop from 3rd to 4th, and 3rd is where the Raptors currently stand. Having 4th seeds in there makes no real sense for comparison. So it'd be better just to compare 3rd seeds

    Current: Toronto win% .565...pace for 46+ wins (of course have to consider horrible start and that our pace has been better, this is just what the math shows)

    If we look at more recent years and just at the 3rd seed (*or rather teams that would be 3rd seeds if the rules were the same as they are now, meaning if the 3rd best team has a better record than the 4th, but the 4th wins a division, the higher seed goes to the better team, not division winner)

    12-13: Indiana 49 wins, .605 win%
    11-12: Indiana 42 wins (shortened season), .636 win%
    10-11: Boston 56 wins, .683 win%
    09-10: Atlanta 53 wins, .646 win%
    08-09: Orlando 59 wins, .720 win%
    07-08: Orlando 52 wins, .634 win%
    06-07: Toronto 47 wins, .573 win%
    05-06: Cleveland 50 wins, .610 win%
    04-05: Chicago 47 wins, .573 win%

    I'll stop there, because then we get back to 2 divisions and some weird results. ** It was obviously even worse at times when there were only 2 divisions, in terms of 2nd or 3rd best teams being bumped down because a division winner got the 2nd seed automatically.

    I haven't double-checked @ezz_bee's post, but it's interesting stuff. And it seems to outline that Toronto is indeed one of the worst 3rd seeds ever.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Mar 11th, 2014 at 11:20 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •