X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we run too many screens?

Wanted to open this up for discussion. According to this piece:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/0...ikes-the-suns/

(which I also posted to the Demar thread) we run the second-most screens per 100 possessions in the league. We're good at it, as we're 10th in PTS/P&R possession. But I wonder if there are downsides, such as injury risk, fatigue, or predictability of offense.

Thoughts?

*Note that Dallas is first overall in screens. Guess Casey brought that with him from his time under Carlisle.
    **Stan Van Gundy made some excellent points about advanced stats here, so take this data for what it's worth, but I will leave that for a separate discussion.

If it aint broke!

Comment

its the high number of screens that actually creates the dynamic element in our offense. In a set offense you essentially have the play you run followed by the options in order as the offense is designed. Teams can quickly latch on and shut down for example a flex cut or Princeton offense. In a P n R and screen heavy offense you create a scenario where a team has to react to four potential options simultaneously.

1.) The big man has to decide if you can shoot. If yes then has to hedge hard
      2.) If he hedges the PG has the option to find the role man, drive, split the screen, hit the hot pocket, take the big man out to the 3 line and drive, drive and dish, and watch for the back cut.

No other offense allows for so many options at the same time, where as every other offense has options in sequence. If A fails, go to B, if B fails go to C if C fails reset... if the reset fails drive or shoot the 3

editor's note: my post grossly simplifies the intricacies of offensive systems and was intended in to illustrate why screen heavy offenses are so effective.
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I love a good pick and roll, and fun plays like elevator doors, I just wonder if we're going to end up putting too much wear and tear on our bigs. Perhaps this has something to do with how run-down Amir and Val have looked of late?

Comment

Utah didn't have a problem with it. To some extent, the Spurs didn't either.

In regards to health concerns, if Casey subs accordingly we should be ok.

Comment

I always thought you could never run enough Pick and Rolls Lol.

Just jumps out to me in those stats how good Dragic is now, incredible player.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
              its the high number of screens that actually creates the dynamic element in our offense. In a set offense you essentially have the play you run followed by the options in order as the offense is designed. Teams can quickly latch on and shut down for example a flex cut or Princeton offense. In a P n R and screen heavy offense you create a scenario where a team has to react to four potential options simultaneously.

1.) The big man has to decide if you can shoot. If yes then has to hedge hard
              2.) If he hedges the PG has the option to find the role man, drive, split the screen, hit the hot pocket, take the big man out to the 3 line and drive, drive and dish, and watch for the back cut.

No other offense allows for so many options at the same time, where as every other offense has options in sequence. If A fails, go to B, if B fails go to C if C fails reset... if the reset fails drive or shoot the 3

editor's note: my post grossly simplifies the intricacies of offensive systems and was intended in to illustrate why screen heavy offenses are so effective.
              it really is this simple. at the end of the day the whole point is to cause predictable reactions

Comment

but i do want to see more post ups, basketball is not a video game let these guys get some rest every now and then.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                  Don't get me wrong, I love a good pick and roll, and fun plays like elevator doors, I just wonder if we're going to end up putting too much wear and tear on our bigs. Perhaps this has something to do with how run-down Amir and Val have looked of late?
                  Pick and roll shouldn't be too taxing. Consider the alternative for a big is to post up. The physical exertion in getting and maintain post position (without even extending to the point of getting the ball) would be higher than that of a pick and roll.

Conversely, pick and roll defence is probably the most taxing on a big physically (while post D is easier as you can use your mass to work for you), so there is the added benefit of forcing the other team's bigs to maintain a high level of exertion of an extended period of time.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                    I can believe it with Amir. No plays are ever called for him.. his job on the offensive end is to essentially run around and set pindowns, and screens for high PnR's.
                    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                      I can believe it with Amir. No plays are ever called for him.. his job on the offensive end is to essentially run around and set pindowns, and screens for high PnR's.
                      Don't think there are many plays that could be run for Amir, he isn't that type of scorer. The team just needs to feed the roller more often. Increased ball movement and weakside cuts should get Amir more scoring chances too.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

It could be because we don't have any legit post-up bigs, and we have very few perimeter players capable of breaking down the defense with their dribble. The high use of PNRs could simply be out of necessity.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          It could be because we don't have any legit post-up bigs, and we have very few perimeter players capable of breaking down the defense with their dribble. The high use of PNRs could simply be out of necessity.
                          Since the PNR is one of the toughest things to defend, I'd say less necessity and more intelligent choice. But there is definitely merit to the idea that the lack of post scorer would impact our offensive schemes. That said, once we add a post scorer, I'd still expect a fairly heavy dose of PNR unless we are able to acquire an established post threat which could mean other current pieces are removed from the equation.

Comment

At one point in the Warriors game, I swear we ran a 3-man weave at the top of the circle :|

Comment

Amir is great at his job and our perimeter player cant dribble, 1+1=2

Comment

Working...
                              X