Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013/14 has been a magical season for the Raptors but what does the future hold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    You can't say that everything hinges on Lowry going forward. This season sure, but is it that hard to beleive that MU could bring in an upgrade to KL?
    In my opinion, yes. Kyle Lowry has played at a franchise-player level for our team this year. He is seventh in the league in win shares, pretty much tied with Paul George. He does all the little things that help you win games and is the single biggest reason we have surpassed expectations this year.

Further, he's one of the few really terrific complements to Demar Derozan. Rajon Rondo would likely not be near as effective as KL next to DD. There are very few guys as good as Lowry who would be available for us to pursue.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
      How much would you like to bet me that in 2016-17, both ross and jv will be considered better nba players then derozan?
      Considered by what metric?
      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
        In my opinion, yes. Kyle Lowry has played at a franchise-player level for our team this year. He is seventh in the league in win shares, pretty much tied with Paul George. He does all the little things that help you win games and is the single biggest reason we have surpassed expectations this year.

Further, he's one of the few really terrific complements to Demar Derozan. Rajon Rondo would likely not be near as effective as KL next to DD. There are very few guys as good as Lowry who would be available for us to pursue.
        Also, he plays with a strength and swagger that the rest of the team feeds off of. The kind of player he's become this year is very hard to find.
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
          How much would you like to bet me that in 2016-17, both ross and jv will be considered better nba players then derozan?
          lol So both will be all-stars by 2016-17?? I hope your right!

Comment

I appreciate the sudden enthusiasm among our fans but remember that 75 percent of you were begging to blow this team up a few months ago....

IMO the future is bright for this team. We have young talent and we're winning. One step at a time folks! Let's see how this team performs in the playoffs where reputations and careers are made.

Comment

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I think a lot more hinges on Lowry than we think. He's a great leader, does a bit of everything.
              in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

I hope you all not saying that 28 year old Lowry is our franchise player and that we should build around him. He's a great player for this team when we start to contend but that's it.

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
                  I usually enjoy your posts. However, I don't think KD would be coming to Toronto to play with Ross or JV. He's likely coming to pair up with another all-star. Demar is currently the only all-star on this team. No way Durant comes here to play with a bunch of unproven players IMO. Also, no way we trade DD unless we get an offer we simply cannot refuse. A young all-star locked in at 9.5 million per year is something you hold onto in this league.

Edit: Obviously Durant would be that offer you cannot refuse, but i still don't think he'd come here to play with Ross or JV over DD.
                  Don't discount what JV or Ross may look like in a couple of seasons. By that time they may look like fringe all-stars themselves, or at least be very attractive teammates. Personally, I wasn't looking at it from KD's perspective but from the Raps perspective. If you have a KD, I don't think you need a Demar. KD would just take over Demar's current role and then what do you do with Demar? Many of us believe that Demar isn't a true #1, and that's fine, but how does he look as a #2 next to another wing and perimeter player? I think there are better options to pair KD with. Demar isn't Westbrook, so it's not like we could attempt to emulate what OKC does.

Furthermore, I don't think KD is gonna pull an LBJ where he has to play with other all-stars. Any team that has a good chance at contention by adding KD could be attractive enough to at least warrant his consideration. Of course, the more great players the better, but I don't think it's a pre-requisite.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                    I am very surprised at how good this team is playing this year. You hear all the time that when a team gains player X that the team becomes so much better (San Antonio with Robinson than Duncan, Cleveland with LBJ, etc), but you don't hear how a team can also get better when they remove player Y (like Toronto with Bargnani and then Gay).

The Bargnani trade/amnesty was going to happen. Too much bad press there - but to get a first rounder with no protections (yes its the worse of Denver's/NY' but still) and a serviceable player (who actually doesn't do anything unfortunately) was a great trade. I had hoped for a similar return from the Gay trade but we got a bench out of him - and that has always been a problem for this team.

This summer in my opinion should be quiet. I don't think MU or the Raptors should make a lot of moves. Lowry should be the full focus. He needs to be resigned at a good value.. or let go. I wouldn't want to give him more than $10 in any year.. flexibility needs to be a focus going forward at all times with this team, especially in this new CBA. But you also don't want to let him go. I really want to see a bargain despite the way Lowry has played this year. MU can only do so much but I really hope Kyle liked playing here (at least this past year) and I hope Kyle doesn't take it too personally that he was involved in all those trade rumours this year. I'm hoping that the market for a PG is really thin and that the Raptors get a break when negotiating with a UFA.

After that I say keep everything in tact. They have no real cap space this summer. Even if GV is renounced and Salmons is waived they are over the cap. So don't break the bank. Keep the flexibility open for 2015 when better free agents are available and the Raptors are under the cap. Use this summer and next year as a way to keep the chemistry in tact and use 'organic growth' to get better. Look at plugging in holes in the bench (someone for Salmons, and possibly GV, maybe a backup center for JV but only if you could find someone where the 2nd year is not guaranteed)

After the bench is shored up figure out what you want to do with Casey. He gets mixed reviews on this board and that's understandable. Could this team have played this well without a defensive-minded coach like Casey? Guys like to play for him.. especially the two leaders in Kyle and DeMar. If they swap him do these guys get pissed off? Obviously you need to look at the development of TRoss and JV but can you guarantee the next coach will do a job as good as Casey has done?

My prediction is that he'll be back. The contract length/size doesn't matter since MLSE is rich and coaches don't count towards the cap. I don't think it will be a detriment to the team if he does come back next year either. He may not be the guy that pushes them to the top (ie, top 5 in the league) but that's probably not going to happen next year anyway.

So if everything works out I can't see why next year won't be as magical as it was this year. Even if teams like Philly/Orlando/Milwaukee all get stud picks they will still be rookies.. Raptors should still have an edge in the East over those teams. If anything Miami and even Indiana (if they don't get Lance back) could both tumble. I'm not saying the Raptors will be in the top 3 next season but they could still be in the playoff hunt even if they don't make a drastic move.

Rome was not built in one day.. patience is important and MU has loads of it.

Awesome post dude!

Comment

One other thing, if KD absolutely wants to play with other proven all-star caliber players, than how on Earth are we to compete with teams like Houston, Portland, or even the Clips? I'm not sure if any of those teams would even be in a situation to sign a KD, but if they are, they are all more attractive than a Derozan led Raptors squad. What situation could be more appealing than teaming up with Harden and Howard in Houston? That team, more than any other I'd say, has the best option to sign KD if he leaves OKC, and I bet they will have the resources to make it happen.

Comment

The only thing I want to comment on is the KD thing. If you listen to the past interviews he liked TO bc he liked the idea of going to a losing team and turning it around. It wasn't just that he was a Toronto fan, but he liked that idea.

He's already done that in OKC. Why would he leave what he's built and essentially try to start again? I love KD but that rumour makes zero sense

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post

I agree, signing Lowry is a must! Too many unknowns for this team without him..

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                            The only thing I want to comment on is the KD thing. If you listen to the past interviews he liked TO bc he liked the idea of going to a losing team and turning it around. It wasn't just that he was a Toronto fan, but he liked that idea.

He's already done that in OKC. Why would he leave what he's built and essentially try to start again? I love KD but that rumour makes zero sense
                            True but I agree with the earlier posts stating JV & TR could be fringe all-stars at that point. Also we have to consider that the NBA landscape will be a few yrs older, we will most probably be improved and right in the mix in the east. On top of that guys like Kobe, DWade, Pierce & KG, Duncan & Parker, Dirk, will all but be done for (or very similar to the current Steve Nash model) and then guys like CP3, LBJ, KD & Westbrook, Howard, Melo, Randolph, Lowry (dare I even say) will all be entering their swan song years. Guys like DD, JV, TR could be hitting their prime at this point and ready to shine..

Comment

Working...
                            X