Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: Was it worth it to trade for Gay, then flip him?

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    The main argument people are making is that we could have received more in exchange for Calderon, but I'm not sure that's true.

    Also, Ed Davis is very average, I've always thought so.
    Not that we could have received more for JC .. he was expiring ... so basically had very little value.

    Its who we could have signed with the ~$10 mm of cap space that we are currently using to pay Hayes (useless) + GV...

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Etobicoke
    Posts
    981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The reason the Gay trade made sense was because we had already traded our first rounder for Kyle Lowry. Undoing both those moves, we would be in tank-mode like Philly, and would have possibly traded DeRozan (a la Evan Turner) this past deadline. So in that respect, I like where we're at now. But those who believe we should have tanked for the future may think otherwise, as not doing the Lowry + Gay trades would have put us in a prime position this season.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,197
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    The reason the Gay trade made sense was because we had already traded our first rounder for Kyle Lowry. Undoing both those moves, we would be in tank-mode like Philly, and would have possibly traded DeRozan (a la Evan Turner) this past deadline. So in that respect, I like where we're at now. But those who believe we should have tanked for the future may think otherwise, as not doing the Lowry + Gay trades would have put us in a prime position this season.
    Why are you lumping Gay and Lowry trades together?

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Etobicoke
    Posts
    981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    Why are you lumping Gay and Lowry trades together?
    Because they were both moves done to accelerate us from a "rebuilding" state to a "contending" state. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for Colangelo.

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,197
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    Because they were both moves done to accelerate us from a "rebuilding" state to a "contending" state. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for Colangelo.
    Well, Colangelo was wrong. Gay ended up a pretty poor fit. I don't think we have to lump good moves with bad moves just because their goal is the same.

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    Well, Colangelo was wrong. Gay ended up a pretty poor fit. I don't think we have to lump good moves with bad moves just because their goal is the same.
    I don't understand why you have a problem with that. He just suggested that if Colangelo hadn't made either of those moves than we would likely be near the bottom of the standings this season. Just because one turned out good, while the other sucked is quite irrelevant to the point he was making.

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,197
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    I don't understand why you have a problem with that. He just suggested that if Colangelo hadn't made either of those moves than we would likely be near the bottom of the standings this season. Just because one turned out good, while the other sucked is quite irrelevant to the point he was making.
    I guess it's possible I misunderstood his post. His post sounded kind of like only pro-tankers have a good basis to dislike the Gay trade because Gay and Lowry were part of the same plan to win now.

    To give an example from another team, lets take Houston. Morey let Dragic go because he didn't want to give him a 4th year player option at 7.5 mil. He then signed Lin to a similar deal - 1 year shorter, a bit more per-year. He then went on and got Harden and Dwight. All of it was part of building a contender, and obviously he was very successful at it. But Rockets fans have a reason to wonder if letting Dragic go for Lin was a good decision. If they kept Dragic, they'd still have assets to get Harden, they'd still have space (even more of it) to sign Dwight, they'd be even more talented overall.

    Similarly, I can like the Lowry trade but I can question the Gay trade.

    Again, it's possible I simply misunderstood what he's saying.

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Rookie Prophet2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The pickup of Gay always puzzled me, I mean I knew who Rudy was and wasn't a fan before they got him, but Jose was expiring and I understand why BC pulled the trigger. So he got a max-deal guy who everyone but Memphis knew wasn't deserving of a max deal, for a mid first rounder in Ed Davis who played second fiddle to Psycho-T in NC. Gay was always just a future trade chip, not sure I would have made the exact deal with Sac-town but with Rudy's contract baggage was gonna be hard to find a team desperate enough to take him off your hands. It's all a wash at this point. I'd take Patterson(and Hansbrough for that matter) backing up the 4 over Ed Davis though.
    limpin ain't easy, but I make it look good...

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well seeing as how we have something to cheer about for the first time in years.. i'd say yes. that's like contemplating whether it was worth it to bid on that horse after it's already won the race. It's kinda of a silly question too because both deals were made by different GM's with different ideas on how to put together this team.

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ed Davis is very average and the amount of people still longing for him is mind boggling. 2pat has brought about a thousand times more to the table.

  11. Like stooley, enlightenment liked this post
  12. #31
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It was the right move to trade for Rudy Gay at the time, and we didn't give up anything of note to get him. Ed Davis looked to be on the verge of something good, but was it more just a product of being on a really bad team? If you look at what he's done since, I think the answer is a resounding yessiree bob.

    Don't forget we also traded Bargnani and amnestied Kleiza, and exercised options for both Valanciunas and Ross.

    The trade has obviously yielded a team that plays with better cohesiveness and that has resulted in improved play. It's obvious the trade was right move, both for the Raptors and the Kings.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  13. #32
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    It was the right move to trade for Rudy Gay at the time, and we didn't give up anything of note to get him. Ed Davis looked to be on the verge of something good, but was it more just a product of being on a really bad team? If you look at what he's done since, I think the answer is a resounding yessiree bob.

    Don't forget we also traded Bargnani and amnestied Kleiza, and exercised options for both Valanciunas and Ross.

    The trade has obviously yielded a team that plays with better cohesiveness and that has resulted in improved play. It's obvious the trade was right move, both for the Raptors and the Kings.
    We needed a SF at the time

    Detroit traded Prince for Jose (basically) so we could have done that with the result being a better defender and cheaper....without giving up more assets.

    Colangelo was a scrub and it was a bad trade. Also because we all knew DD and Gay weren't going to work together

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •