Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was it worth it to trade for Gay, then flip him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing is:

Jose Calderon is obviously a starter player. There's no question he is better than GV. Better everything really. Plus he was an expiring.
    Yeah, GV is a better fit, but if we traded away Jose, we could have gotten a better backup PG + another young asset.

Davis vs. Patterson is a toss up. Davis could easily be better if he was getting more time in Memphis.
    Patterson hasn't really done much in his career prior to this.
    If I remember correctly, Patterson and Salmons were both in really bad slumps before coming to Toronto.

Comment

2Pat is fine but overall I'd rather have Ed Davis + all that cap space.

Besides, considering how 2Pat struggled in Sacramento, he'd probably be available anyway, without having to absorb Hayes and Salmons.
      Last edited by BobLoblaw; Sat Mar 8, 2014, 06:28 PM.

Comment

2Pat + GV >> Ed + 10mil capspace

2Pat is only 24 guys,
        GV is payed pennies.
        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post

2Pat is only 24 guys,
          GV is payed pennies.
          The main argument people are making is that we could have received more in exchange for Calderon, but I'm not sure that's true.

Also, Ed Davis is very average, I've always thought so.
          "Bruno?
          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post

2Pat is only 24 guys,
            GV is payed pennies.
            But, is 2pat + GV> Ed + [insert PG you could get for $10 mm ... think KL, JC, or better] ... not so sure about that

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
              The main argument people are making is that we could have received more in exchange for Calderon, but I'm not sure that's true.

Also, Ed Davis is very average, I've always thought so.
              Not that we could have received more for JC .. he was expiring ... so basically had very little value.

Its who we could have signed with the ~$10 mm of cap space that we are currently using to pay Hayes (useless) + GV...

Comment

The reason the Gay trade made sense was because we had already traded our first rounder for Kyle Lowry. Undoing both those moves, we would be in tank-mode like Philly, and would have possibly traded DeRozan (a la Evan Turner) this past deadline. So in that respect, I like where we're at now. But those who believe we should have tanked for the future may think otherwise, as not doing the Lowry + Gay trades would have put us in a prime position this season.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                  The reason the Gay trade made sense was because we had already traded our first rounder for Kyle Lowry. Undoing both those moves, we would be in tank-mode like Philly, and would have possibly traded DeRozan (a la Evan Turner) this past deadline. So in that respect, I like where we're at now. But those who believe we should have tanked for the future may think otherwise, as not doing the Lowry + Gay trades would have put us in a prime position this season.
                  Why are you lumping Gay and Lowry trades together?

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                    Why are you lumping Gay and Lowry trades together?
                    Because they were both moves done to accelerate us from a "rebuilding" state to a "contending" state. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for Colangelo.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                      Because they were both moves done to accelerate us from a "rebuilding" state to a "contending" state. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for Colangelo.
                      Well, Colangelo was wrong. Gay ended up a pretty poor fit. I don't think we have to lump good moves with bad moves just because their goal is the same.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                        Well, Colangelo was wrong. Gay ended up a pretty poor fit. I don't think we have to lump good moves with bad moves just because their goal is the same.
                        I don't understand why you have a problem with that. He just suggested that if Colangelo hadn't made either of those moves than we would likely be near the bottom of the standings this season. Just because one turned out good, while the other sucked is quite irrelevant to the point he was making.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                          I don't understand why you have a problem with that. He just suggested that if Colangelo hadn't made either of those moves than we would likely be near the bottom of the standings this season. Just because one turned out good, while the other sucked is quite irrelevant to the point he was making.
                          I guess it's possible I misunderstood his post. His post sounded kind of like only pro-tankers have a good basis to dislike the Gay trade because Gay and Lowry were part of the same plan to win now.

To give an example from another team, lets take Houston. Morey let Dragic go because he didn't want to give him a 4th year player option at 7.5 mil. He then signed Lin to a similar deal - 1 year shorter, a bit more per-year. He then went on and got Harden and Dwight. All of it was part of building a contender, and obviously he was very successful at it. But Rockets fans have a reason to wonder if letting Dragic go for Lin was a good decision. If they kept Dragic, they'd still have assets to get Harden, they'd still have space (even more of it) to sign Dwight, they'd be even more talented overall.

Similarly, I can like the Lowry trade but I can question the Gay trade.

Again, it's possible I simply misunderstood what he's saying.

Comment

The pickup of Gay always puzzled me, I mean I knew who Rudy was and wasn't a fan before they got him, but Jose was expiring and I understand why BC pulled the trigger. So he got a max-deal guy who everyone but Memphis knew wasn't deserving of a max deal, for a mid first rounder in Ed Davis who played second fiddle to Psycho-T in NC. Gay was always just a future trade chip, not sure I would have made the exact deal with Sac-town but with Rudy's contract baggage was gonna be hard to find a team desperate enough to take him off your hands. It's all a wash at this point. I'd take Patterson(and Hansbrough for that matter) backing up the 4 over Ed Davis though.
                            limpin ain't easy, but I make it look good...

Comment

Well seeing as how we have something to cheer about for the first time in years.. i'd say yes. that's like contemplating whether it was worth it to bid on that horse after it's already won the race. It's kinda of a silly question too because both deals were made by different GM's with different ideas on how to put together this team.

Comment

Ed Davis is very average and the amount of people still longing for him is mind boggling. 2pat has brought about a thousand times more to the table.
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X