BrotherSteve's Blog: Triano's Coaching Costs Raptors A Win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BrotherSteve's Blog: Triano's Coaching Costs Raptors A Win

Would you guys agree with Steve, or do you think he's being a little critical of Triano? Is the Jose & Jack backcourt destine to never work?

Playing the high scoring 8-2 Phoenix Suns in their own building where the Suns are undefeated on the season looked like a near impossible task for the reconstructed 5-4 Toronto Raptors.

But the Raptors were game on this night and took the Suns to the brink of defeat when Hedo Turkoglu’s last second shot failed to fall as time expired. Suns 101, Raptors 100.

However, the game should never have gotten to a last second shot for the win.

The Raptors had played the Suns even and ahead for the entire game. Ending each quarter with a slight lead. Even when the Suns finally managed to tie the game early in the fourth quarter, the Raptors looked like they were not going to let this game get away.

But for some strange and illogical reason, Jay Triano decided to go back to the worst defensive guard line-up the Raptors have put on the floor this season.

At the 8:28 mark of the fourth quarter with the score tied at 84, Jay Triano substituted in Jose Calderon for Hedo Turkoglu to reunite him with Jarrett Jack. Let the bloodshed begin!

As has been discussed on numerous occasions this line-up simply doesn’t work.

“As recently identified in the True Hoop Article: What’s Working For The Raptors, when Jose Calderon and Jarrett Jack are on the floor together, the Raptors are surrendering 136.8 points per 100 possessions. Now that’s unbelievably bad! It’s historically bad!” Toronto Raptors: Evidence of Defense

With Calderon and Jack on the floor together, in just two minutes and 16 seconds, the Suns, who had not led since the first quarter, outscored the Raptors 7-2 to take a 91-86 lead. Jack going 0-1 with a turnover.
    Source - Click here

Going into the season, one of the big questions for the raptors was how the 2 guard spot would shake out. I predicted that Jack would get a lot of burn at 2 guard and I was right. Shame about that, because it hasn't worked well.

It's still early, but the stats thus far pretty clearly suggest that the 2 guard question shouldn't remain a question: Jack is terrible at 2 guard. Antoine Wright is, if possible, even worse. DeRozan is adequate, a little underwhelming (good rebounding, though). And Bellinelli is actually pretty good.

Basically, Bellinelli is by far the best offensive option out of the four, and he's substantially better on defense than Wright and Jack as well. I really hope he starts seeing more minutes, because he's earned them. If Triano wants to keep starting DeRozan, fine: that makes sense. But Bellineli should handle the rest of the minutes -- say 14-18 for DeRozan, 30-34 for Belli.

Check out http://www.82games.com/0910/0910TOR.HTM and http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/TOR/2010.html for the supporting statistics.

Comment

In the words of Kramer from Seinfeld directed at Jay Triano:

"You stupid, stubborn, silly man"

I really don't understand how and why Triano continue's to do this. I mean it doesn't work!!

Jarret Jack was just awful last night and he deserved to get an early hook in favour of Sonny Weems.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
        Jarret Jack was just awful last night and he deserved to get an early hook in favour of Sonny Weems.
        Nothing seems to be coming natural to Jack right now. He seems like he's either forcing his play or rushing it. It's like he trying too hard to impress and in doing so he's falling flat on his face.

I think over time Jack will get better moving forward, but pertaining to your reference to Weems playing, I'm another one who would like to see Sonny more and see what he can do with more minutes. His energy on the floor and keeping things active on the glass like he did a couple times last night is something we need more of. More players that are active and creating more second hand chances for us.

Comment

I hope I'm proven wrong, but I was not sold back in May that Jay Triano was the best coaching candidate available. Most convenient? Yes. Most qualified? No.

Comment

RaptorTalk wrote: View Post
            I hope I'm proven wrong, but I was not sold back in May that Jay Triano was the best coaching candidate available. Most convenient? Yes. Most qualified? No.
            I'm torn with Jay because there are moments when I think he's a great coach and times where I question his decision making especially when it comes to player rotations.

On the other hand, the players are also accountable too. There are too many times where they've been lazy and can't put forth a solid 48 minute effort night in, night out.

Comment

I looks like playing Jack with Calderon is sapping Jack's confidence! See him sitting looking dejected at the end of the last game after the Suns go up 5 with him playing the 2.

Jack needs to get his game on track - the best way to do that is to only let him play PG!
              The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Note other than the Jack - Calderon thing. I've been very impressed with how Jay Triano has got the Raps to play defense!

Honestly - who thought the Raps would have held anybody to 89 points, let alone do it 2 games in a row?
                The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

brothersteve wrote: View Post
                  Honestly - who thought the Raps would have held anybody to 89 points, let alone do it 2 games in a row?
                  Considering the Suns are one of the top offense's in basketball, I'm more impressed we kept them to only 101 points.

The defense is slowly coming around, we just need the players to make smarter decisions. Not to mention we depend too much on the 3 point ball. We gotta start running more plays into the post because both Bosh and Bargnani have become much better and stronger in the post. Not to mention it will draw more fouls in turn leave to opposing teams with team foul woes.

Comment

Working...
                  X