Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: The Bryan Colangelo to Masai Ujiri transition.

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,205
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    BC had a decent batting average drafting. DeRozan (allstar), Ross, JV, Ed Davis, and Bargnani all proved to be NBA rotation players at the least. The closest thing to a whiff was drafting Bargnani number one overall over Aldridge. In hindsight, I wish BC had drafted Hibbert in 2008 and Bledsoe instead of Davis in 2010. I like Ross' development but Drummond would have been special in 2012.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    BC had a decent batting average drafting. DeRozan (allstar), Ross, JV, Ed Davis, and Bargnani all proved to be NBA rotation players at the least. The closest thing to a whiff was drafting Bargnani number one overall over Aldridge. In hindsight, I wish BC had drafted Hibbert in 2008 and Bledsoe instead of Davis in 2010. I like Ross' development but Drummond would have been special in 2012.
    I completely understand passing on Drummond though, I don't fault him at all for that.

    We had who many believed to be a franchise center arriving from overseas. And Drummond had multiple question marks that made 6-7 other teams pass on him.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,205
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I did say in hindsight, which is infallible.

  4. Like stooley liked this post
  5. #24
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm also in the camp that BC did a passable to great when it came to drafting. Unfortunately, HE LOVED TRADING PICKS AWAY!!! He didn't do himself any favours by trading away picks.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

  6. #25
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If Colangelo were still here, Bargnani and Gay would be eating 30+ minutes per night.

    That is all.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  7. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
  8. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    837
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    If Colangelo were still here, Bargnani and Gay would be eating 30+ minutes per night.

    That is all.
    Nicely SAID. BC has too many failed trades to be considered a good GM. There is a reason he is out of job and no one is asking for him. He had 7 years of total control and he accomplished ZERO.

  9. #27
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Jamshid wrote: View Post
    Nicely SAID. BC has too many failed trades to be considered a good GM. There is a reason he is out of job and no one is asking for him. He had 7 years of total control and he accomplished ZERO.
    Full disclosure: I think BC did a bad job.

    But to be completely fair, it's more like he had 2 separate stints: he had 3 or 4 years to build a contender around Bosh, at which he failed miserably, and he had 3 years to rebuild. Luckily in that second stint, we removed him before he completely blew it.

  10. #28
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    Full disclosure: I think BC did a bad job.

    But to be completely fair, it's more like he had 2 separate stints: he had 3 or 4 years to build a contender around Bosh, at which he failed miserably, and he had 3 years to rebuild. Luckily in that second stint, we removed him before he completely blew it.
    To paraphrase:

    "Stint 1 = crap

    Stint 2 = somewhat less crap"

    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  11. #29
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,058
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    For all those singing the BC praise song re his good/great drafting...can we check his draft record for the gems beyond the 10th pick and more importantly the second round? Most GMs (unless brain dead or not carrying a horseshoe) do reasonably well picking in the top ten of any draft.

    And then we have his f/a signings or trades which is also a manifestation of skills-recognition and how they would compliment those of the current team members.

  12. #30
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    For all those singing the BC praise song re his good/great drafting...can we check his draft record for the gems beyond the 10th pick and more importantly the second round? Most GMs (unless brain dead or not carrying a horseshoe) do reasonably well picking in the top ten of any draft.

    And then we have his f/a signings or trades which is also a manifestation of skills-recognition and how they would compliment those of the current team members.
    TY!

    BC was awful in the second round. This speaks to lack of homework. MU on the other hand has done quite well in the second round, which means he puts in the time and works hard...when your boss works hard at his craft, it is likely that the employees do as well

  13. #31
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah I always had this feeling that BC didn't like to draft.. and was happy to give away his picks in the latter part of the draft so he didn't have to work as hard.

    Most times though lottery picks will work out. Especially if you pick a guy that is favored highly in most mock drafts. You can get a robot to pick for you and you will usually end up okay in the end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •