Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High School Star Aquille Car Shows Why It's A Really Bad Idea To Skip College To Go Pro Early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High School Star Aquille Car Shows Why It's A Really Bad Idea To Skip College To Go Pro Early

High School Basketball Star Aquille Carr Is Back On Track for the NBA Draft

Everything didn’t go as the 5’7 high school basketball phenom Aquille Carr had hoped after he decided to forego college last spring. The often described “most exciting player in high school” has found his trip to the pros a lot tougher than he expected.

“I was invited to the Adidas camp in Italy and when I got there, there was a whole different style of play because it was professional basketball and I was coming straight from high school,” Carr said. “Back in America, it was much faster and in Europe, it was more of a pace game (and there were) a lot of adjustments. It was a hard time for me, but I was up for learning. I was always asking questions about what I needed to do and how to play the pick-and-roll because I was never taught that.”
    Carr was good in high school - too good - 58 point game in grade 10, a real high flyer, dunked & blocked shots as a 5'7 PG, but after trying Europe, China & the NBA D-League last summer, his agent has him working on his jump shot and his conditioning.

Aquille Carr is hoping to drafted by the NBA in June.
    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Getting cut from the D League is doesn't look good leading into the draft.

Comment

He signed overseas instead of Seton Hall because he wanted to provide for his family... it's too bad that didn't really work.
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
        He signed overseas instead of Seton Hall because he wanted to provide for his family... it's too bad that didn't really work.
        Truth. I don't think saying "skipped" college is fair. I'm pretty sure there's more to this kids story than that. I remember reading somewhere that he had some legal troubles as well. Don't know if that played a part or not. Hope he makes it to the NBA as a 2nd rounder though. This kid is an insane athlete, and could definitely be a solid bench player.

Comment

Would ya look at that. Seton Hall looked to Aquille Carr to revamp their program this year. He leaves for Europe, and Seton Hall makes Big East semis for first time since 2001.

Pretty unlucky for him.. they're finally getting national recognition, would've been nice for getting draft attention.
          Last edited by isaacthompson; Thu Mar 13, 2014, 06:40 PM.
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Seton Hall hasn't made the Big East final yet. They play Providence in the semi final, tomorrow.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
              Seton Hall hasn't made the Big East final yet. They play Providence in the semi final, tomorrow.
              Duly noted.
              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Aquille Carr Is Going All In For The NBA Draft

Aquille Carr was one of the hottest names coming out of high school a year ago, but that was last year and as we race towards the NBA Draft, he has fallen off the radar. However, Carr has not given up on his NBA dreams. The diminutive point guard who wowed everyone less than 15 months ago is working hard to get noticed once again.

“Aquille has been working at improving his shot and on playing in pick-and-roll situations,” said Hazan President Daniel Hazan. “Specifically coming off a screen and shooting the ball or dishing the ball to a cutting big man. Aquille's decision-making in the half court setting has greatly improved as he is becoming a true point guard.

“Scouts will notice Aquille's improved decision-making. They will notice that Aquille has been working on becoming more efficient by limiting his turnovers and making the right passes.”
                Aquille Carr Is Going All In For The NBA Draft

Can Aquille Carr get noticed in this draft class or did he screw this up?
                The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

I don't think he'll be drafted. But his agent can probably get him a spot on a d-league team/summer league team. I don't think this guy is much of a story though...

Also, if you are linking to an article that you wrote, I'd appreciate you mentioning that in the post. Otherwise it seem like poor journalistic ethics.
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Admittedly I dont know much about the player but unless he is a supreme eye popper his height challenge (5'7") will be difficult to overcome. And how is his defense? I also noticed where he is "practicing" his jump shot!! Would have thought that would have been one of his greater assets. The last high schooler who made the trip to Europe and then got drafted in the lottery was Brendan Jennings and he as well did terribly during his pro stint in Europe. Good luck to him though.... we tend to focus on the "few" successes who manage to get drafted each year from amongst the many hundreds who have aspirations to play in the NBA. Rejection at this level unfortunately is not a rare occurrence....he might still have a pro experience in a lesser league.

Comment

Carr, who will 21 in September, has already had a stint in the D League. He played only 10 games in the D-League before being released. He averaged 10.7 points in 14.0 minutes per game, averaging more turnovers (2.1) than assists (1.9).

Comment

Carr, who will 21 in September, has already had a stint in the D League. He played only 10 games in the D-League before being released. He averaged 10.7 points in 14.0 minutes per game, averaging more turnovers (2.1) than assists (1.9).
                        ouch

Comment

what was his field goal percentage? 11 points in 14 minuetes is pretty good. Solid bench player for like 2 minute spurts. The turnopver things were probably him being overwhelmed. I think somwbody will take a chance on him
                          I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                            what was his field goal percentage? 11 points in 14 minuetes is pretty good. Solid bench player for like 2 minute spurts. The turnopver things were probably him being overwhelmed. I think somwbody will take a chance on him
                            39%, 68% ft

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                              39%, 68% ft
                              Ouch thats turrible.

But someone will pick him up as an un drafted player for marketing reasons, he's 5'7. Teams could use that as leeway for kids that anything is possible
                              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Working...
                              X