Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If Raptors had their own NBDL team, where would you want to see it placed?

Post Thanks / Like

Default If Raptors had their own NBDL team, where would you want to see it placed?

With the the NYK on board getting an NBDL franchise, I was thinking about Toronto getting one and where would be a good place to see the team play out of. Some where close enough that the front office can monitor the team easily, but far enough away to have it's own identity.

There seems to be a few teams located in the North East US, could a team in Moncton, or Halifax work? Would it ruin what the NBL Canada has going?

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fredericton NB!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic All-Star Jangles's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

London

Post Thanks / Like

Despite my obvious bias, I would have to say Montreal would be a great choice. It's a big market, has proven to be a good draw for sports/basketball, and is close to Toronto to facilitate quick call-ups.

5. Like imanshumpert, Letter N, charlesnba23 liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the NBL of Canada going to be a sustainable league? I can't speak for the rest of the country but the attendance in Halifax has fizzled this year after being one of the league's "banner" franchises for the first few seasons. Much of this is because the team has struggled record-wise, but it's not like creditors and bill collectors care about that kind of thing.

There was some talk of the Halifax Rainmen becoming an NBDL affiliate before the Canadian league was developed. I can't remember exactly what happened at the time but I seem to recall that the time frame was too short in order to make a decision (i.e: the franchise needed a place to play within 3 months while the decision from the NBDL would have taken a year).

7. Like Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Despite my obvious bias, I would have to say Montreal would be a great choice. It's a big market, has proven to be a good draw for sports/basketball, and is close to Toronto to facilitate quick call-ups.
    Montreal was a first thought of mine as well...but it can be a funny city sometimes, they don't seem to support "B" league sports as they feel they should always have nothing but the best. This could be just my perception though. I am sure the players would like it better than the others mentioned.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

London ON

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    Montreal was a first thought of mine as well...but it can be a funny city sometimes, they don't seem to support "B" league sports as they feel they should always have nothing but the best. This could be just my perception though. I am sure the players would like it better than the others mentioned.
    They support "A" league sports in Montreal? ( **cough** , Expos, **cough**). And I thought they love the Alouettes - or has that changed? Strange sports town. You're definitely right about that.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Halifax almost had a D league team a couple years ago

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Buffalo - due to location (1hr45min drive)
    Erie - due to existing franchise (3hr30min drive)

I don't think having an NBA D-League team in Canada would work due to all the travel issues crossing the border and work visas etc. Maybe I'm wrong on that. Most of these guys are only making like $20-25K - aren't they?
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post

I don't think having an NBA D-League team in Canada would work due to all the travel issues crossing the border and work visas etc. Maybe I'm wrong on that. Most of these guys are only making like $20-25K - aren't they?
    I suspect you are right about the travel hassle. They should be located in the East. Close enough for reasonable contact from the home office.

14. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    They support "A" league sports in Montreal? ( **cough** , Expos, **cough**). And I thought they love the Alouettes - or has that changed? Strange sports town. You're definitely right about that.
    I count the Alouettes as an "A" league, it is the top football league available in Canada, not sure how they would feel with Toronto's leftovers on a NBDL team.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post

Buffalo would be ideal geographically. They've had a team that has played in the ABA and now is in the PBL. But they have "A" level teams to compete with for fans, and at the moment play their home games in a school.

Another option might be Rochester. They also have a PBL team (also former ABA), and better yet, their team plays in a proper mid-size arena (can seat about 13,000), and has had some actual success contending in their league. Thus they may already have a good fanbase (not that I really know), and are in a city with no major sports so they don't compete against "A" league teams for fans. It's super close geographically, though a longer drive than Buffalo...

17. Like OldSkoolCool, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter e_wheazhy_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with buffalo/Rochester but what about somewhere in Connecticut? New haven or Hartford? Those guys are passionate and Id bet they're hungry for a home team to support
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Post Thanks / Like

Quote e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    I agree with buffalo/Rochester but what about somewhere in Connecticut? New haven or Hartford? Those guys are passionate and Id bet they're hungry for a home team to support
    Connecticut is kinda far. Driving distance would be ideal if possible. Hartford is like an 8 hour drive.

It's also in between Boston and NY. So while both those cities have d-league affiliates, the Knicks especially could use one closer by (theirs is Erie right now). Boston uses Maine, and BKL uses Springfield (Mass).

And both Buffalo and Rochester have larger populations. While both being a very near drive to Toronto.

*I think being close to Toronto is obviously good. I also think being far from other NBA cities is better too, which makes the west of NY state ideal.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Buffalo would be ideal geographically. They've had a team that has played in the ABA and now is in the PBL. But they have "A" level teams to compete with for fans, and at the moment play their home games in a school.

Another option might be Rochester. They also have a PBL team (also former ABA), and better yet, their team plays in a proper mid-size arena (can seat about 13,000), and has had some actual success contending in their league. Thus they may already have a good fanbase (not that I really know), and are in a city with no major sports so they don't compete against "A" league teams for fans. It's super close geographically, though a longer drive than Buffalo...
    Buffalo actually had a NBA team (Braves)...now the Clippers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Braves

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Buffalo actually had a NBA team (Braves)...now the Clippers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Braves
    Yeah....well I was focusing on present/recent history.

Raptors Republic Rookie GoldenBaller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish they'd do it in the Atlantic but if they did make a team, it would probably be somewhere like London or Hamilton or a place in the GTA.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would put my preferences in this order:

Buffalo
    Rochester
    Erie
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote GoldenBaller wrote: View Post
    I wish they'd do it in the Atlantic but if they did make a team, it would probably be somewhere like London or Hamilton or a place in the GTA.
    But can a D-League team survive in a Canadian city? This is the big question. Canadians really in general just care about one sport, and that sport overlaps with basketball's season. And then there are logistics issues. Can they get good enough venues by D-League standards? What about travel? It's already a minor hassle for NBA and teams travel in luxury...this isn't the case for DL.

Having it just south of the border makes a lot of sense to me. For visas, for travel (both within league and if called up), for venue/attendance (and thus likely for revenues)...
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Mar 12th, 2014 at 03:42 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information