Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai should go after Paul Millsap, he's a perfect fit here (maybe more than Love)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masai should go after Paul Millsap, he's a perfect fit here (maybe more than Love)

Looking at our roster going forward I think the position where we could slot in a ready made all-star is PF. I think Masai is set proceeding with Lowry, DeRozan, Valencunias, and Ross. I've mentioned this already in a few of my previous posts because I feel this position provides an area of improvement for us to hang with the big boys. I love Amir but I'm just not sure he's the guy to do it, Amir's contract is 7M and expires after next yr (if of course the Raps enact their team option this offseason) but after that who knows where we'll be at PF. Amir could possibly be re-signed but at what cost? Also who knows where he'll be physically and if he can maintain the same level of play over the next few yrs when we need to make a push towards the top of the East.

This brings us to Paul Millsap. I saw the post on Kevin Love and of course I'd be over the moon to have him but as far as a straight up fit I'm not sure how well he'd work within our system, I don't know how well he'd integrate with taking touches away from DD & TR and I think his defensive deficiencies would eventually come into play unless JV turns into a beast. Financially we wouldn't have to give up the world to get Millsap and like Amir he's currently under contract until the end of next year (he makes 9.5M which is only 2.5M more than Amir and is the same age), yes he'll definitely be in line for a raise but I'm guessing he'll get between 12.5M-14M tops on a 3-4yr contract which is manageable. If Atlanta bottoms out next season I think there could be an opportunity at the trade deadline to get him for cheap but there might even be an opportunity in the offseason straight up for Amir with an add on and draft pick. There's a link below I've provided listing the 10 best PF's in the league, IMO Millsap would be a huge asset defensively and the ultimate compliment offensively to push us into the top tier. What do you guys think, should Masai make a play for him at some point? And if not then who..

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rds-in-the-nba

hahahaha

Flashbacks to last summer.

The question is what's the price? Amir + filler + pick might be kinda high for a guy with only one more year under contract. At the same time it might also be low as maybe Atlanta has a high asking price for a cheap all-star on an expiring contract. Millsap would be a solid fit, just not sure how to make it work.

Comment

I like millsap.

I don't see why Atlanta gives him up though.

Also he is just turned 29 in February and Amir will be 27 in May.

Comment

pass. we have a mediocre team now... Millsap signing will put us on that second round exit "traedmill" team for the next few years.
        what we need is a game changer.. at the 3 spot

Comment

Yeah, I wanted him too last summer. Before Masai came to town and dangled the possibility of a full rebuild.

He'll be hard to get now. He might be an option next summer.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
            Yeah, I wanted him too last summer. Before Masai came to town and dangled the possibility of a full rebuild.

He'll be hard to get now. He might be an option next summer.
            You want to make Paul millsap the raps version of David west?

Do it next year with cap space and not giving up any assets in the process as he will be unrestricted.

Comment

I think he is to undersized and to old. BUT for 2 years I would do it. We are becoming an elite team and he could be the linchpin for finals trip 2 years from now with 2Pat & JV starting with him, Amir, Tyler off the bench either way we need another PF period.

Comment

ABRealRaptorFan wrote: View Post
                I think he is to undersized and to old. BUT for 2 years I would do it. We are becoming an elite team and he could be the linchpin for finals trip 2 years from now with 2Pat & JV starting with him, Amir, Tyler off the bench either way we need another PF period.
                I think this time he's finally going to get that big long contract.

Comment

ball4life wrote: View Post
                  pass. we have a mediocre team now... Millsap signing will put us on that second round exit "traedmill" team for the next few years.
                  what we need is a game changer.. at the 3 spot

Who would that be that's a realistic possibility though, and what do we do for a PF when Amir expires? The difference between Millsap & Amir is only 2.5M now and if we sign him to a multi year deal the difference would only be around 5M more tops on a per year basis.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                    I think this time he's finally going to get that big long contract.
                    True would be a pass now that I think about it. We can pick up and plug in. We have a Centre that in 2 years will be complete and a Wing in ROss that can drop 50.

Comment

Raps76 wrote: View Post
                      Who would that be that's a realistic possibility though, and what do we do for a PF when Amir expires? The difference between Millsap & Amir is only 2.5M now and if we sign him to a multi year deal the difference would only be around 5M more tops on a per year basis.
                      Everyone would scream Durant.. but i dont really have any 3 in mind.. what i am trying to say is just by adding Millsap for Amir will not put us past a 2nd round playoff team. <--- (this is my opinion) and we are gonna have to lock him up by paying him more in 2015 which will derail a bit of our financial flexibility whereas Amir comes off the books in 2015 at that point in time we may have a plan to either attract a superstar 2016 or play around with our cap flexibility to give us a chance to trade for one of those superstars in 2015.

All in all.. im just not for giving up assets to get Millsap this summer, if we can get him as a free agent for the same $ then great.

Comment

ball4life wrote: View Post
                        Everyone would scream Durant.. but i dont really have any 3 in mind.. what i am trying to say is just by adding Millsap for Amir will not put us past a 2nd round playoff team. <--- (this is my opinion) and we are gonna have to lock him up by paying him more in 2015 which will derail a bit of our financial flexibility whereas Amir comes off the books in 2015 at that point in time we may have a plan to either attract a superstar 2016 or play around with our cap flexibility to give us a chance to trade for one of those superstars in 2015.

All in all.. im just not for giving up assets to get Millsap this summer, if we can get him as a free agent for the same $ then great.
                        We'll see where we stand. Don't think this summer is the best time to try and make a big move.

So yeah, maybe wait and see where we are when he's a free agent, and if it makes sense both in terms of building and in terms of flexibility, go after him then.

Comment

We do not need to make this move because adding millsap isn't gonna make us a contender!
                          Just wait for the real superstars!
                          Durant
                          Anthony Davis
                          Lebron
                          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                            We do not need to make this move because adding millsap isn't gonna make us a contender!
                            Just wait for the real superstars!
                            Durant
                            Anthony Davis
                            Lebron
                            Davis isn't going anywhere for the next six years; New Orleans will give him a max deal.

Comment

People are seriously underrating pail millsap. One guy said he could back up for 2pat? This guy is the stat that could put us over the top. He's much better than David west.
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X