Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Masai should go after Paul Millsap, he's a perfect fit here (maybe more than Love)

Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Derozan not defiant. Damn auto correct

2. Like chch166 liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Derozan not defiant. Damn auto correct
    lol, new nickname...Demar the Defiant!

4. Like chch166 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, Derozan's too good to be a bench player. He's a damn all star. If Masai's plan is to find a better three or attempt to get Kevin Durant, trade Derozan to a team where he can start instead of wasting his talent on the bench. Besides, the two position is the weakest in the league, so there will be a team that wants upgrade in that position for sure.

6. Like stooley liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We dont trade DeMar for god sake!

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always liked Millsap. Solid player.. good character guy. Not a flashy guy but when it comes to advanced metrics his name always appears on the top of those lists. Not a max contract guy either so helps with payroll.

But as stated above.. no need to trade for him. Use the cap space in 2015 and then sign him outright. I was surprised he only got $19M for 2 years. If he can be had for the same amount in 2015 that would be a solid pick up.

If a trade were to happen this summer.. and if Atlanta wants to rebuild we could try swapping Millsap for Salmons and a 2016 pick (but with lottery protections). He has a 2 year contract so I believe that qualifies for an Early Bird exception which means we could resign him by going over the cap. He would have a $12.5M cap hold though (130% of $9.5M for an Early Bird free agent) in 2015 which would make it harder to sign other free agents that year (unless we renounce Amir's contract which would then free up even more space).

Either way.. I like the idea of going after Millsap either via trade (as long as the asset we are giving back is inexpensive) or free agency in 2015.

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That would be awesome, however I don't see ATL doing a rebuild, the only reason they are doing badly this season is that they have gotten completely murdered by injuries. They will be probably better than us next season

Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    That would be awesome, however I don't sree ATL doing a rebuild, the only reason they are doing badly this season is that they have gotten completely murdered by injuries. They will be probably better than us next season
    Not if lowry resigns. The raptors this year are a 55 win team sans gay. Hawks were never projected to do that well.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    We dont trade DeMar for god sake!
    You should brace yourself for that possibility.

No Raptor is going to be safe this off season..... especially if they lose in the first round badly, like 4 or 5 games.

Ujiri said he'd give the team the opportunity this season as, his words, they deserved it. I've not read anything about beyond this season.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

lol @PlanetMars I don't think it's called the "Early Bird exception"

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

EARLY BIRD EXCEPTION -- This is a weaker form of the Larry Bird exception. It also allows teams to exceed the cap to re-sign their own free agents, but with more limited contracts than the Larry Bird exception. To qualify for this exception the player must play for two seasons without clearing waivers or changing teams as a free agent (see question number 33 for details and nuances to this rule). A team may use the Early Bird exception to re-sign its own free agent for up to 175% of his salary in the previous season2 (not over the maximum salary, of course) or 104.5% of the average salary in the previous season, whichever is greater (see question number 32 for the definition of "average salary"). Early Bird contracts must be at least two seasons in length, which prevents teams from using the Early Bird to sign a one-year contract, then signing the same player with the full Larry Bird exception the following season. Early Bird contracts can be up to four years in length, with raises up to 7.5% of the salary in the first season of the contract. Early Bird is also a component of the Veteran Free Agent exception, and qualifying players are called "Early Qualifying Veteran Free Agents" in the CBA.

If the player is a restricted free agent with two years of service and qualifies for the Early Bird exception, then the player's prior team may use the Early Bird exception to match an offer sheet he receives from another team (see question numbers 44 and 45). This is true even if the starting salary for the Early Bird exception is lower than the starting salary of an offer sheet, which is based on the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception.

A team can renounce its Early Bird rights to a player, and instead re-sign him with the Non-Bird exception (see below). They might do this in order to sign the player to a one-year contract, instead of the minimum two years required by the Early Bird exception.

Starting January 10 of each season, this exception begins to reduce in value. See question number 26 for details.

14. Like stooley, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    They do call it like that.

Raptors Republic Rookie GoldenBaller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He's a waste of money for now. I don't seem him doing too much if any at all to improve the team at this point. Trading or signing him would be a Colangelo-type move.

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    They do call it like that.
    wow, lol

learn something every day, i apologize

Post Thanks / Like

Quote GoldenBaller wrote: View Post
    He's a waste of money for now. I don't seem him doing too much if any at all to improve the team at this point. Trading or signing him would be a Colangelo-type move.
    Are you serious? In what world is he not a significant upgrade on Amir? He'd free up demarcation and kyle because wed have a huge threat in the inside. He'd be our third all stat player. Better then demar. The way I see it, Paul millsap on this roster would make us contenders almost as deep as Indy.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you serious? In what world is he not a significant upgrade on Amir? He'd free up demarcation and kyle because wed have a huge threat in the inside. He'd be our third all stat player. Better then demar. The way I see it, Paul millsap on this roster would make us contenders almost as deep as Indy.
    I like that nickname.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    I like that nickname.
    Lol, my phone loves making nicknames for demar

Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL Whoa..... I think you overvalue his inside play. Also, I don't believe that he makes us contenders. Paul Millsap is definitely a nice player, but there's nothing dominant about him. Actually, he's sorta undersized for a PF (6'8") and he's already 29.....first time all-star... I dunno.

Raptors Republic Rookie GoldenBaller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you're over evaluating him. He's not a LaMarcus Aldridge like you're making it sound like. Sure he's an upgrade for the meantime. But it's not necessary to intake a huge ass contract for the slightest improvement. He's not the youngest feller in the world either. But mainly I think it's like the move BC made to get Gay. It's just not worth it for the future of our franchise. Wait a little bit until a real star becomes available because what good does having Millsap in to attract star free agents if we can't afford them? We are already making some noise and as we are we can attract a true star. Millsap isn't a big enough improvement for what we'd have to give up/pay for. Demar/Lowry combo is good enough for me right now. We have JV and Ross on the rise so there no rush. It seems unnecessary to get a big if we're playing this efficient and "well" with the players we have unless its a MAJOR move.

And sorry I just LOL'd about the Raptors being contenders as deep as Indy.

Let's wait for KD!!!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

KD's not gonna consider leaving unless Russ leaves OKC. Please be realistic.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jordan Evans wrote: View Post
    KD's not gonna consider leaving unless Russ leaves OKC. Please be realistic.
    Russ' contract runs longer than KD.

Let's see what happens to their frustration and desire to win as KD and Russ' contracts increase each year while ownership refuses to pay luxury tax thereby having less to spend on the rest of the roster. What happens if they have another Harden situation?

They/he might be loyal now but what happens when 30 is within sight and a championship is no closer to being achieved.

Just hypothesizing here.....
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information