Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dwane Casey - Great Coach or Greatest Coach Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwane Casey - Great Coach or Greatest Coach Ever?

I haven't even begun my post and feel the need for caveats and qualification:

I do not speak from expertise. I do not pontificate with superlative observation. I do not posit with disdain.

I just see some shit, and think 'Hey this seems to flow from this!'

Dwane Casey was brought in by BC because this organization had little defensive ability. He was vetted and chosen for a bunch of reason. We also brought in players with DC in mind. Some didn't pan out; James Johnson, Alan Anderson and countless D-League looking to hang a 10 day on their defence. Picking JV was reinforced by the notion that he would be a Casey guy. "He fits perfectly with the principles Casey is trying to instill." - Maurizio Gherardini That his resume was impressive. And that his mandate was to bring a culture of 'winning' and respect for the game. Which now under new direction adopted player development.

When I reread that piece by David Zarum that I (hopefully) linked above, it reminded me the seemingly bewildering success we've been getting cozy with this year is the fallout from that decision.

Casey constantly infuriates and frustrates. The instant I see something that could easily been avoided with X precaution, or Y forethought, Z obvious action I leap from the couch and scream at the screen (to endless amusement of present company). But in the seconds after chemicals turn my brain to anger soup, some synapse fires and I recall the fact that time and time again DC's seemingly in ability to call a timeout or make an adjustment or avoid some innocuous play, clearly recognisable to even the lamest basketball mind, can be linked to his mandate and character.

Won't play JV extended minutes/Picks the lucky kid sitting courtside to sub out Hayes before even glancing at JV?
    He needs to earn minutes beyond the organizations mandate with Defence.

Last minute DeRo ISO-Ball? Someone needs to pile up shot attempts for when every play you draw up is shit/poorly executed and you still need a bucket in the playoffs.

Won't stop a run with a timeout? I've got to drill into these scrubs that the NBA game is a flow, a rhythm, a slugfest. They hit you, gas, you hit back. Winning the first and third and getting serious garbage time only happens to the Raptors, not for the Raptors. You want to win close games? Build a chin and get ready to take a punch, then hit back. Preferably manage that tempo so your punch isn't too early or late.

TL: DR;
    Coach Casey, if nothing else, has stuck to his guns. Said he was going to do something. Is or attempting to do it. Players are buying it. We the fans are enjoying some of the spoils.

Thoughts?

Is there a third or fourth option?

Comment

BigCamB wrote: View Post
      Is there a third or fourth option?
      C) Elite
      D) Hall of Fame

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
        C) Elite
        D) Hall of Fame
        Perfect

Comment

Great human or greatest human ever?

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
            Great human or greatest human ever?
            Seems like I didn't need to pump DC's tyres... Everyone agrees: DC is GOAT mode.

Comment

Casey for Coach of the Year. ESPN says........maybe

I couldn't see a link in the OP but it looks like this is from a different author. Espn has weighed in on their thoughts for coach of the year. There are the usual suspects mentioned. Hornacek in Phoenix. Stotts in Portland. But then they mention this guy doing these crazy things up in Canada...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...ing-coach-year

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                I couldn't see a link in the OP but it looks like this is from a different author. Espn has weighed in on their thoughts for coach of the year. There are the usual suspects mentioned. Hornacek in Phoenix. Stotts in Portland. But then they mention this guy doing these crazy things up in Canada...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...ing-coach-year
                My mistake I embedded the link in text:
                http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...ad-snmagazine/

Comment

Only time will tell, lets see how far he can help this Raptors squad go come the playoffs. I honestly hope he gets resigned to a 1yr contract and see if he can re-emulate what he did this current season.
                  NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
                    Only time will tell, lets see how far he can help this Raptors squad go come the playoffs. I honestly hope he gets resigned to a 1yr contract and see if he can re-emulate what he did this current season.
                    Interesting. My personal take is commit so that the players and staff can get into a rhythm with a system and process in place, whoever that may be. Since Casey has been here, I thought it would be best to stay the course and work the system looking for edges to refine. A 1 year deal could do that and really test Casey's mettle.

What do you think the metrics/deliverables/key indicators would be to determine if he gets the next contract?

Comment

Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                      What do you think the metrics/deliverables/key indicators would be to determine if he gets the next contract?
                      A) Great record
                      B) Greatest record ever
                      C) Elite record...

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                        A) Great record
                        B) Greatest record ever
                        C) Elite record...
                        So if I'm reading you right, even a tenth of a percentage point of this year GOATlyness...

Comment

Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                          So if I'm reading you right, even a tenth of a percentage point of this year GOATlyness...
                          LMAO What the heck are you guys talking about? lol

Funny thread

Comment

Dc 4 ac.

Comment

Dwane Casey: Sentient life form, or GREATEST SENTIENT LIFE FORM IN ALL DIMENSIONS OF THE UNIVERSE?
                              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                              X