Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colangelo Suggesting Changes to Come Before July 1st?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colangelo Suggesting Changes to Come Before July 1st?

Hmmmm .... very interesting.

Do you fear that this slump can influence Bosh’s decision this offseason?: “I can only tell you that losing and going in with a negative taste can’t help. At the end of the day he’s going to have to make a decision this summer and there’s going to be a lot of different circumstances come summer, come July 1 when its time for him to make that choice. He’s going to e processing a lot of information. He’s going to be looking at contract and term and all of the details that go into that negotiation and he’s probably going to be negotiating with more than one team. He’s going to be surveying the landscape and looking at how competitive each of those teams are. The team that we have right now is not necessarily the team that he’s going to have to judge whether or not he’s going to want to be here. A lot of things can happen between now and that date. We’ve shown that we’re always looking to make improvements to the team if something comes up and is available to us to pursue, we’ll do that. Right now, his decision if its been made, I’m not aware of that. He certainly hasn’t indicated that to us, his agent hasn’t and if he is processing some of this, I can understand how some of this factors in, but again, the circumstances will be entirely different, potentially, come July 1 when he’s got to make that decision officially.
    Source - Click here

I've been thinking lately that the strength of the point guard position around the league will reduce Calderon's trade value.
    nbaroundtable

Comment

I don't really see what major change the Raptors are able to do outside of trading Bargnani or Calderon ... and I don't think Colangelo is ready to write off Bargnani yet.
      nbaroundtable

Comment

2011 expiring contracts of Reggie Evans + Marcus Banks to land a borderline All-Star?

Maybe throw in some draft picks or DeRozan to bring in an even better player?
        nbaroundtable

Comment

i can see calderon being traded, and even though the league is full of great point guards right now, jose is still a valuable commodity. there are teams that dont have a good PG, and jose is at least better than average. i wouldnt trade bargs and neither will BC. the guy is a nightmare to match up with. he shoots from outside, slashes, mid range jumper, blocks, he does a lot. people expect way too much on his rebounding skills, mind you, the guy was a pure scorer in the euroleague. watch his highlights on youtube and youll see he did nothing but score, you cant just expect him to be a rodman-type rebounder in 3 years he's been in the league....either a david lee or amare stoudamire would be a perfect fit for us. somebody who plays a lot on the post, and who doesnt need the ball of the dribble.

Comment

jose for monta
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
              2011 expiring contracts of Reggie Evans + Marcus Banks to land a borderline All-Star?

LMAO. There is no way Reggie and Marcus will bring us anything near a "borderline All-Star" player. BC is good but he is no miracle worker. Nice try though.

Dreaming my own dream...how bout signing Joey Johnson! Yeah baby!

Comment

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post

LMAO. There is no way Reggie and Marcus will bring us anything near a "borderline All-Star" player. BC is good but he is no miracle worker. Nice try though.
                A similar package got the Spurs Richard Jefferson. That type of a talent, along with a very bad contract and an older player, can be available for expiring contracts.

If you can throw in a first round pick or two or some prospects you can increase the return considerably.
                nbaroundtable

Comment

Dave,

How is RJ working out for the Spurs? I agree with .40 by the way. Evans and Banks aren't going to land the Raptors a borderline all-star.

Comment

Richard Jefferson is working out better for San Antonio than he's given credit for (albeit not as well as hoped) ... but that has nothing to do with this discussion.

RJ was scoring 19.6ppg + playing very good defense and was a notch below All-Star level when he was traded for the contracts of Bruce Bowen, Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas. That is the only point that matters here. RJ was playing at a high level and was traded away for cap flexibility (no picks/prospects).

If the Raptors are willing to take back a very bad contract in exchange for their expiring contracts (Evans, Banks, Belinelli and other filler) there is a good chance they'll be able to acquire a talented player. An impact player. If the Raptors are willing to include draft picks, or young prospects, they'll be take back an even more talented player.
                    Last edited by Dave; Tue Mar 16, 2010, 09:21 PM.
                    nbaroundtable

Comment

On another note, this is not the type of trade I would like to see Toronto pursue. I think this is a move you make when your core is strong and you're looking for one addition to put you over the top but not a move you make when the core of your team is suspect because it limits your cap flexibility to severely.

Bosh + Bargnani + acquired player with bad contract + Turkoglu + Calderon + Jack = very little wiggle room with the cap and in the trade market + talented enough to avoid getting any high draft picks = limited upside for team + increased likelihood of becoming a treadmill team.

So while I think it's an option Colangelo could pursue in the trade market it is not one I wish to see him chase. I would rather he dealt with the core of this team's roster and tried to find a better balance there first. That should be his priority. (basically Bargnani)
                      nbaroundtable

Comment

BECOMING a treadmill team? becoming?
                        TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Working...
                        X