View Poll Results: Who is the best point guard in Raptors history?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jose Calderon

5 15.15%
  • TJ Ford

0 0%
  • Alvin Williams

2 6.06%
  • Kyle Lowry

21 63.64%
  • Damon Stoudamire

5 15.15%
  • Ben Uzoh (Always Remember)

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is Kyle Lowry the best point guard in Raptors history?

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Advanced stats from bballref:

Damon Stoudamire

17.5 PER, .520 TS%, 37.0 AST%, 1.9 STL%, 5.9 RB%, 15.9 TOV%, 24.2 USG%, 108 ORTG, 113 DRTG, .088 WS/48

Alvin Williams

13.9 PER, .480 TS%, 25.8 AST%, 2.4 STL%, 5.2 RB%, 12.4 TOV%, 17.9 USG%, 104 ORTG, 105 DRTG, .083 WS/48

TJ Ford

19.0 PER, .517 TS%, 44.6 AST%, 2.4 STL%, 5.7 RB%, 17.1 TOV%, 26.3 USG%, 105 ORTG, 107 DRTG, .105 WS/48

Jose Calderon

17.5 PER, .572 TS%, 39.9 AST%, 1.6 STL%, 5.2 RB%, 16.5 TOV%, 17.0 USG%, 118 ORTG, 112 DRTG, .134 WS/48

Kyle Lowry

18.8 PER, .557 TS%, 35.1 AST%, 2.3 STL%, 8.4 RB%, 15.5 TOV%, 21.0 USG%, 115 ORTG, 105 DRTG, .172 WS/48

Post Thanks / Like

If we are talking history, I still give the edge to Calderon. He has the numbers and the records for Raptors PG's. He was here the longest. 50/40/90 club member (arguably!), and almost averaged that for his career as a Raptor.

But Lowry is the best PG we have had here. He does it on both ends of the floor.

3. Like mike, prague liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    If we are talking history, I still give the edge to Calderon. He has the numbers and the records for Raptors PG's. He was here the longest. 50/40/90 club member (arguably!), and almost averaged that for his career as a Raptor.

But Lowry is the best PG we have had here. He does it on both ends of the floor.
    I'm curious, why 'arguably'?

Raptors Republic All-Star mike, prague's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The normal stats clearly show that Damon Stoudamire is the best of the bunch, but even more so is Kyle in the advanced category.

Player Verdict: Kyle Lowry
    History class verdict: Jose Calderon

Side note on T.J.: Anyone else remember the game that T.J. won on a alley-oop, but the refs really ripped us off with the shot-clock starting early and they completely ignored it? It was against the Hawks in Atlanta. I really liked T.J.

6. Like CalgaryRapsFan, Joey, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Raptorsnz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ben Uzoh averaged a triple double every 8 games he started for the Raptors so I gotta say him.

8. Like Fully liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

For me it's Lowry, he's so well rounded. He's got the best attributes of all our greatest PG's. The offense & distribution abilities of Stoudemire and Calderon. The defensive tenacity and heart of fellow Philly alumni Alvin Williams. Lowry is a beast and the heart of this team. Seriously put ink to paper and pay the man!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic Starter Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is he playing at the highest level? Yes.
    Is he the best ever? The body of work isn't complete enough to say yes. If he leaves this offseason I'd have a hard time putting him first.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He is having the best season of a raptor point guard ever, that is for sure in my opinion.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

12. Like Puffer, Just Is, rocwell liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter Just Is's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If we can resign Lowry and he can even maintain 70% of what he's doing right now, then its him easily. Quantity is the only reason I don't say Lowry and instead go with Damon. Of course, the post season can easily change that as well.

You can make a very strong case for Lowry having one of the best seasons a Raptor has ever had, regardless of position.

Raptors Republic All-Star Jangles's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike James

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Roko Ukic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    I'm curious, why 'arguably'?
    He was 16 FT shy of being eligible. Some lists have him, some don't.

17. Like BobLoblaw liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie Prophet2k's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Going from the opposite of advanced metrics(i.e. the eye test, gut feeling etc.) I voted for Damon. He was the single most relied upon player on his respective team and he put up some good numbers, put Lowry in that same position and I think his swagger would be his own un-doing, Mighty Mouse had the right amount of swag. Lowry is the best rebounding guard we've had certainly and I think that skews the numbers picture in his favour. Alvin Williams brought the hustle and D arguably better than Lowry but he was not as offensively gifted as Kyle. Calderon was the best 'point guard' in terms of running an offence, although the shade of Mark Jackson was pretty good at that too. It is a very murky situation when you start debating 'best'.
    limpin ain't easy, but I make it look good...

19. Like jimmie liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    This is why I have a hard time voting for Lowry. If he can do this for multiple years (if he's here), then it's easily him. Otherwise I'd have to go with Alvin. Alvin was pretty average offensively, but he was an excellent (and big) defender. That Philly series never gets to 7 games if we don't have him slowing down Iverson for some of them. He would frequently guard the other team's best backcourt player.
    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    He is having the best season of a raptor point guard ever, that is for sure in my opinion.
    I agree with the above statements. I voted for Alvin Williams. However, if Lowry resigns with the Raptors and duplicates his performance than I give it to him. Either way, I do believe that this is the best single season performance of a raptors point guard, based on individual stats and impact on the team.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

question:

a lot of teams have been able to step it up despite losing key players to injury/trades. suns. arguably the nets without lopez. bulls especially. hawks were even doing great for a while.

what if lowry had been injured? do the raptors have enough talent/coaching/flexibility on the roster to keep the team afloat?

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...-Time-Raps-PGs

As per the above. Best PG season in Raps history. Longevity is very important for legacy though. Too early to tell.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    question:

a lot of teams have been able to step it up despite losing key players to injury/trades. suns. arguably the nets without lopez. bulls especially. hawks were even doing great for a while.

what if lowry had been injured? do the raptors have enough talent/coaching/flexibility on the roster to keep the team afloat?
    I don't think so. I think Lowry's freakish health has been the single biggest factor in success.

Or I should say almost everyone's freakish health this year. Starters have missed combined 6 games. Even Patterson a.k.a. Mr.Glass had the greatest healthiest stretch of his career until recently.

But Lowry stands out because he's such a major piece and had so many issues in the past. And it's not just about his contributions as a player, his leadership, or his replacements. It's also him (and everyone else) being healthy just adds stability to the roster, focus. If he misses some 20% games as usual and spends another 20% playing into shape, this season would've been much worse.

And if he misses most of the season a la Rose, Horford, Lopez etc, I think it's lottery.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; Sun Mar 16th, 2014 at 01:42 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    question:

I don't think so. Definitely not if he went down in late December-February. I do think that the team has taken oh his Identity and they might be able to hold it together for 5-10 games MAX.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information