Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Kyle Lowry the best point guard in Raptors history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    I think the question should be "Has any Raptor PG we've ever had played better ball than Lowry has this season?"
    Forget about whether or not it's sustainable, just answer the question for what it is. Is Lowry's play this season the best we've ever seen from any Raptor PG?
    In any individual season. Yes. That's an easy answer.

But that wasn't the question asked. "History" usually implies more than a flash in the pan situation.

Comment

I would argue that Lowry is the best all-around PG the Raps have ever had. But he is not the Greatest Raptors PG, that I believe belongs to Jose Calderon. I'm not sure if I just made sense lol. I think Lowry is the most talented PG we have had. But he has to play here for a while longer and put up good numbers before he can surpass Calderon as the Greatest Raptors PG.

Williams is close, but he couldn't shoot or distribute the ball as well as Jose, and although he is the better defender, I have to give the edge to Jose.

Stoudamire was perhaps the best scorer of the bunch.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
        I think the question should be "Has any Raptor PG we've ever had played better ball than Lowry has this season?"
        Forget about whether or not it's sustainable, just answer the question for what it is. Is Lowry's play this season the best we've ever seen from any Raptor PG?
        Yes. The difference between Lowry and Stoudamire is, Lowry actually plays defense. And Lowry has a knack of making big plays/winning plays offensively and defensively in crucial situations.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

I can't speak for Alvin Williams or Damon Stoudemire because I didn't see them play enough but looking at the numbers it shows that Damon turned the ball over like a motherfucker during his 3 losing season and Alvin didn't have nearly as much offensive impact where as Lowry this season is impacting nearly every single statistical category.
          You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
            I would argue that Lowry is the best all-around PG the Raps have ever had. But he is not the Greatest Raptors PG, that I believe belongs to Jose Calderon. I'm not sure if I just made sense lol. I think Lowry is the most talented PG we have had. But he has to play here for a while longer and put up good numbers before he can surpass Calderon as the Greatest Raptors PG.

Williams is close, but he couldn't shoot or distribute the ball as well as Jose, and although he is the better defender, I have to give the edge to Jose.

Stoudamire was perhaps the best scorer of the bunch.
            I would argue that Alvin's D had a bigger impact on wins that Jose's O. And Jose's D (when added to roster makeup) was a reason the Raptors were always mediocre with him.

Alvin's O was good enough. He had a decent jumper and he could initiate O...and just like Jose's D problems were made even worse by the roster, Alvin's offensive problems were mitigated by the solid roster we had and the fact that much of the O was run through Carter.

And again, I find Stoudamire incredibly overrated. Very streaky scorer. When he left Toronto you could see how incredibly unspectacular a player he was. He was an overrated passer too. His AST numbers are largely the result of having the ball in his hands a lot, not being a good passer or initiator at the point.

Comment

Advanced stats from bballref:

Damon Stoudamire

17.5 PER, .520 TS%, 37.0 AST%, 1.9 STL%, 5.9 RB%, 15.9 TOV%, 24.2 USG%, 108 ORTG, 113 DRTG, .088 WS/48

Alvin Williams

13.9 PER, .480 TS%, 25.8 AST%, 2.4 STL%, 5.2 RB%, 12.4 TOV%, 17.9 USG%, 104 ORTG, 105 DRTG, .083 WS/48

TJ Ford

19.0 PER, .517 TS%, 44.6 AST%, 2.4 STL%, 5.7 RB%, 17.1 TOV%, 26.3 USG%, 105 ORTG, 107 DRTG, .105 WS/48

Jose Calderon

17.5 PER, .572 TS%, 39.9 AST%, 1.6 STL%, 5.2 RB%, 16.5 TOV%, 17.0 USG%, 118 ORTG, 112 DRTG, .134 WS/48

Kyle Lowry

18.8 PER, .557 TS%, 35.1 AST%, 2.3 STL%, 8.4 RB%, 15.5 TOV%, 21.0 USG%, 115 ORTG, 105 DRTG, .172 WS/48

Comment

If we are talking history, I still give the edge to Calderon. He has the numbers and the records for Raptors PG's. He was here the longest. 50/40/90 club member (arguably!), and almost averaged that for his career as a Raptor.

But Lowry is the best PG we have had here. He does it on both ends of the floor.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                  If we are talking history, I still give the edge to Calderon. He has the numbers and the records for Raptors PG's. He was here the longest. 50/40/90 club member (arguably!), and almost averaged that for his career as a Raptor.

But Lowry is the best PG we have had here. He does it on both ends of the floor.
                  I'm curious, why 'arguably'?

Comment

The normal stats clearly show that Damon Stoudamire is the best of the bunch, but even more so is Kyle in the advanced category.

Player Verdict: Kyle Lowry
                    History class verdict: Jose Calderon

Side note on T.J.: Anyone else remember the game that T.J. won on a alley-oop, but the refs really ripped us off with the shot-clock starting early and they completely ignored it? It was against the Hawks in Atlanta. I really liked T.J.

Comment

Ben Uzoh averaged a triple double every 8 games he started for the Raptors so I gotta say him.

Comment

For me it's Lowry, he's so well rounded. He's got the best attributes of all our greatest PG's. The offense & distribution abilities of Stoudemire and Calderon. The defensive tenacity and heart of fellow Philly alumni Alvin Williams. Lowry is a beast and the heart of this team. Seriously put ink to paper and pay the man!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Comment

Is he playing at the highest level? Yes.
                          Is he the best ever? The body of work isn't complete enough to say yes. If he leaves this offseason I'd have a hard time putting him first.

Comment

He is having the best season of a raptor point guard ever, that is for sure in my opinion.

Comment

If we can resign Lowry and he can even maintain 70% of what he's doing right now, then its him easily. Quantity is the only reason I don't say Lowry and instead go with Damon. Of course, the post season can easily change that as well.

You can make a very strong case for Lowry having one of the best seasons a Raptor has ever had, regardless of position.
                              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Mike James

Comment

Working...
                                X