TROSS or Demar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Demar has a better overall game, including the smarts, instincts, and decision making.

Demar can read defences better (he has to, they put their best man on him and game plan for him), he knows how to make plays for others, and his penetration skewers the defence (leads to FTs and easy assists, and even when he misses, offensive rebounds are more likely after defensive collapse).

Ross has a lot to learn. He has the 3, he has the D, but I can't trust him running a pick and roll, and he hasnt shown the ability to penetrate consistently.

I personally think they compliment eachother VERY well, and would put the ball in Demars hands to make a play, while having Ross' finishing ability and star-potential defence flanking the wings.

In reference to T-Ross' potential, there is no guarantee he will figure out the subtleties in the game the way Demar has. T-Ross might have his finishing ability, and his D, but when he isn't scoring, he really isn't doing much of anything else on 'O'. He doesn't seem to have the penetration ability I would hope for a guy as explosive as Ross and that limits his ability to get to the line and assist. He has the potential to put it all together and become an All-star, but Derozan has shown he can score at a high level as the number 1 offensive option on a .600 team.

I simply would keep them together. Derozan and Ross maturing together will be great for both of them. Im actually really excited about our young wing duo.
    This.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

I can't believe DeRozan is only 18 months older than Ross, DeRozan feels like a veteran and Ross feels like he's just come into the league (which are both true, but still.)

Comment

I love Ross' game and only see him getting better.

Comment

I like this thread if for no other reason than because I can picture grown ass men blushing at the thought of having to make a choice between to basketball players. Ridiculous, but hilarious that people struggle with something so simple.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            I love Ross' game and only see him getting better.
            Agreed. I don't really like the idea of pitting our players against each other. But if I had to pick which one has better long term potential, I'd have to go with Ross. He's got the tools to have a long career in this league as a 3 and d player, but I find it interesting that people are forgetting this team is Derozans at the moment but down the road I would like to see the team build their offence around Ross. Then we should have a real idea of Ross' value. In my opinion a lot of people are undervaluing Ross because he's not the focal point on our team. Let me play devils advocate here and ask what Ross' value will be as a first option getting 35+mpg and at least 15 shots a night consistently
            Last edited by Ambidextrious; Sun Mar 16, 2014, 10:10 AM.
            We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
              Let me play devils advocate here and ask what Ross' value will be as a first option getting 35+mpg and at least 15 shots a night consistently
              With his current skillset or long term into the future? Right now his efficiency would plummet down the drain if they tried that. Look at what happened to Jeff Green this season. There's a big difference between playing off other people and being the main guy and the focus of defenses.

Comment

I would love if we can flip Derozan for a 3 of equal talent and let Ross take over the 2 guard position for the future.

I like Derozan but I just don't see his style of play leading to playoff success, I think with a good to great defender you can shut him down if that's your focus. Ross' game seems like it fits today's NBA much better especially with his range and his defense is amazing for a guy in his 2nd year.

Comment

Abbas wrote: View Post
                  okay so i was just wondering who do u guys think will be better in there prime and also who would you NOT want to trade

Keep in mind
                  Demar's Age is 24 years, 220 days as of today
                  & TRoss is age is 23 years, 38 days as of today

It's no secret that when demar was in his second year he had better stats then Tross and also when demar was 23 (last year) he had better stats then TROSS at the age of 23 (this year)

I think in there prime Demar will be a better player then TRoss but not by a lot

Also if we were to trade one of them what do you guys think we can get for them
                  I didn't even read the post but my answer is TROSS

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                    I would love if we can flip Derozan for a 3 of equal talent and let Ross take over the 2 guard position for the future.

I like Derozan but I just don't see his style of play leading to playoff success, I think with a good to great defender you can shut him down if that's your focus. Ross' game seems like it fits today's NBA much better especially with his range and his defense is amazing for a guy in his 2nd year.
                    I'm of this opinion as well

Comment

Personally, I do not think this team will be able to contend with DeRozan as its starting SG. Yes, he has improved and he is an overall positive on this team right now but going forward, for me he's got the Rudy Gay effect - remove him and distribute his shots among the other, more efficient players, and the net result is a better team. I don't buy this "he is the top option and drawing the best opposing wing defender and Ross, or anybody else, would struggle if DD isn't there". Again, this is a personal opinion looking into the future, so there is not "right" or "wrong". I feel that if we add a quality SF, a 6'7'' or 6'8'' defender ala Leonard or even same Tucker, who closed down DD - and someone like that could be relatively cheap, this team will be better. Of course, it is going to take another step for Ross and Val (and 2PAt for that matter)...

Comment

Why Raptor fans always fall in love with possible potentials vs the reality ?

Reality is DD is a good 3rd option in a good team now. Reality is Ross right now is not there and may never get there. He has not shown anything to suggest that he WILL be better than DD !!! NOTHING ....

Same goes with Big Val and for god sake 2 PAT !!!! It is all speculation.

Now, if we want to trade DD for an established STAR in this league, then go ahead. I have no problem with that. But if we think Ross is making DD redundant or ... then my friends, you are dreaming.

Comment

Why not both?

Both are tremendous young players with different skillset on cheap contracts.

I also think that both are learning from one another, as Demar as cut some long-twos attempts for 3s in the corner. He is also improving his defense. He isn't the pillar he used to be vs shorter and quicker guards, plays the passing lanes and get more deflections/steals as a result, and seems to be better as a team defender (ex: the late game play vs the cavaliers and Zeller)

Ross is improving his overall decision making, his in-game rythym as he oftens knock a couple of shots in a row, and his reads on the offensive end as he is developping a game of the dribble.

The fact that both go at one another in pratice is also a tremendous way of devloppement.
                          Myself (March 2014):
                          The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

Abbas wrote: View Post
                            It's no secret that when demar was in his second year he had better stats then Tross and also when demar was 23 (last year) he had better stats then TROSS at the age of 23 (this year)
                            Secret? Try lie.

Stat | DD 2nd year | DD 23 years old | Ross this year
                            TS%: .530 | .523 | .565
                            ORTG: 106 | 105 | 108
                            DRTG: 115 | 110 | 106
                            WS/48: .055 | .075 | .104

Ross is way better than any DD season until this one. Comparison also conveniently ignores DD's horriawful 3rd season.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                              Secret? Try lie.

Stat | DD 2nd year | DD 23 years old | Ross this year
                              TS%: .530 | .523 | .565
                              ORTG: 106 | 105 | 108
                              DRTG: 115 | 110 | 106
                              WS/48: .055 | .075 | .104

Ross is way better than any DD season until this one. Comparison also conveniently ignores DD's horriawful 3rd season.
                              Prepare yourself.

There is a shit storm coming.

Comment

Tross should be our 2 while DD plays the 3. The only reason DD's at the 2 is because he can't really defend opposing 3s. If only he can get a tad stronger or bulk up a bit more and improve his defence, he would make a great 3. He's managed to improve his offence every year so it's not too late for him to hone his defence.

And i'm a bit disappointed with the lack of post play from DD. I know that we're playing less isoball but it's like his post game has disappeared.

Comment

Working...
                                X