Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "ESPN Scouts Takes": Toronto soft inside

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "ESPN Scouts Takes": Toronto soft inside

An article mainly about Charlotte, but it has a few Toronto gems.

An Eastern Conference scout on the Bobcats’ surge to within a game of .500:
    “They’re no joke. [First-year coach] Steve Clifford has obviously brought them a strong defensive concept and they’re defending at a high level. He deserves a lot of credit for what they’ve got going when you remember where they were and where they’ve been.

“He’s in the [Tom] Thibodeau mold. It’s a grinding style where he gets them very compacted, nothing [allowed] in transition, everyone gets back. It’s a 'you’re not going to score in our paint' mentality and the guys have bought into it.

“They also have players fitting their roles very well and they’ve got two guys they can go to when their offense gets stuck: Kemba Walker and Al Jefferson. And now they’ve added some shooting with the trade [for Gary Neal and Luke Ridnour], which I thought was a great trade.

“They’re the fourth-best team in the East to me. Chicago is the third-best team; everybody knows they have problems scoring but I promise you no one wants to play the Bulls in the playoffs. Then I like Charlotte.

“The Nets are going to have problems playing defense in the playoffs consistently. They rely a lot on experience and that’s not something you can rely on all the time. And I just think Toronto is a little soft inside. Their defense isn’t good enough to sustain for four [wins] in a series, and if you really get after DeMar [DeRozan] or Kyle Lowry, they’re going to struggle to score. I like Charlotte better than both of those teams.”
    http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/p...ong-easts-best

Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well to me Derozan is like Bosh both are easy to guard in the playoffs because if you body them up and play physical with them they can't score and get frustrated. But he's wrong about Kyle! Kyle loves contact and chippy games. Also this writer said we are soft inside which I don't believe because Amir is vastly underrated and JV is no slouch. And also for him to say we cannot sustain our defense to win 4 games is ludicrous because we have been top10 in defense all season! So how can't we not do it in a series?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    An article mainly about Charlotte, but it has a few Toronto gems.

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/p...ong-easts-best
    I actually agree with this guy. I think he says our defense can't sustain because we don't play good defense for the whole game. We think we can just turn everything on in the second half and we will learn the hard way when the playoffs come. Also he is completely right when it comes to Demar. I like the way Charlotte and Chicago play much more than Toronto at this point. I think both those teams are more built for the playoffs. We will struggle. I just want our guys to get that experience so hopefully they learn from it. He's off with the Kyle thing though. But if Kyle has to do it all with little help from DD, we will struggle to win. Just like today. I don't know, the way we play has worried me for a long time when I think of the playoffs. The regular season we will be fine but I just think our team isn't mature enough for the playoffs and takes plays off way too much. Or we make way too many boneheaded mistakes that you can't get away with in the playoffs. But it's very understandable seeing as we have a very young team. We will see. Hopefully both me and this guy are proven wrong but I truly only think we can win in the first round if it's Washington. Anyone else and we lose. Just my gut feeling. MAYBE Brooklyn as well just because their age can hurt them just as much as it helps them. But I'm a pessimist I guess so ignore me lol.

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course you agree with him, you'd probably like the Bucks against us in a 7 game series.

Charlotte are a mediocre team that is going nowhere fast, I'll take the raptors any day of the week. Now AND more importantly in the future.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

They're underestimating the frontcourt, which is good. Amir is the heart and soul of this team, playing through pain, trying his best every game. JV is still developing, but he's a beast when he gets the opportunity (and when those zebras don't bully him by calling iffy fouls). Tyler Hansbrough is a pest, he hustles, he's like the Colton Orr of the Raps. I just wish he could shoot better fts. Chuck Hayes is an excellent post defender for a short big, esp without the jumping ability. The guys just uses his ass to box out and defend. I think he would be key to stopping guys like Al Jefferson, Boozer, etc. who usually gives the Raps problems in the paint. He could be the Oakley of this team (he played with Yao Ming's Rockets). And then we have 2Pat, who is the stretch 4. He may be a poor post defender but he's a good help defender.

Can't wait for the playoffs!

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Charlotte has owned us this season....
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

7. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The book is out on Derozan. Teams are being physical with him. Other guys need to step up.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's funny that this is written from a Charlotte angle; cause if we play them, I'd think Lowry's physicality with Kemba Walker would be one of our biggest assets in a best of 7 series.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    The book is out on Derozan. Teams are being physical with him. Other guys need to step up.
    Teams have played Derozan like this forever. You can go back 2-3 years and watch how the Celtics guarded him. Taking away his time and space is essential cause he's not terrific with the ball. This year, they've alleviated the issue by running him off a tonne of pindowns, successive screens and hand-offs to clear defenders and give him more time and space. Also, Derozan's done a far better job dealing with it by: finishing or getting to the line OR moving the ball. It's when he tries to do too much that he gets in trouble.... like in the PHX game.

11. Like jdot22, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah.. Toronto could be considered soft inside but so is Miami and they have been to the finals 3 straight years. So I'm okay with that label. Toronto however does have a top 10 defense in the league so that's pretty good.

What Toronto doesn't have is an elite talent.. but they do have Lowry and that's still pretty awesome.

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't care what these analytics say, I'm just thrilled to watch Raptors playoffs this year!
    #FREE

Raptors Republic Starter OptimalOptimist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course we are soft when Patterson is out and subbed by Novak.

Hansbrough, Amir, JV, and 2pat don't back down on anybody and are always a defensive presence in the paint whenver someone is driving. Always contesting shot and doing a great job of not fouling.

And remember when Chuck Hayes owned Cousins on following possesions? 2 steals in a row followed by a traditionnal hand in the face contested fadeaway jumper in which Cousins hit the frontrim, not getting any legs in his shot.

Raptors bigs are far from soft, however, they struggle when matched with a super athletic frontcourt, but who doesn't.
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you who'd win a best of 7 playoff series with charlotte and honestly would be uncomfortable betting on the raps. the guy is right in many respects.

i do like certain matchups of ours but i do like jefferson to just devour our interior. it's all going to really depend on who's ready for the big stage more.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He doesn't speak of the resilience nor the bench though. He is right about the "pain" on the inside game....other than Hansbro we dont really have much sustainability there. JV hopefully grows some more...he can start hacking some more cause they dont call it too close in the playoffs....unless its a star of course.

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not super confident we'd beat Charlotte, but I'm not put off by their 3-0 record against us either. My prediction would be a low scoring slog that went 6 or 7 games.
    I'd certainly rather be the Raptors though, I much prefer our team long term.

18. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter OptimalOptimist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm really confident we would beat Charlotte. We got better depth and offensive weapons. Al Jefferson vs JV is a concern, espicially if JV doesn't get offensive touches to make big Al work on the defensive end, but we got Chuck Hayes who makes a living of defending guys like that.

Also, Lowry > Walker, Ross > Neal, DeRozan > MKG.
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the reality is that the Chicago/Brooklyn/Toronto/Charlotte/Washington cluster is all very close. All those teams have played well after the all star break, and all of the teams have their respective strengths/weaknesses that would lead them to believe that they're a better match up for one of the other teams.

This particular scout likes Charlotte. I'm sure you could find another one who liked Brooklyn. Another who liked the Raptors, and so on. The 3 v. 6 and 4 v. 5 matchups in the East will be dog fights.
    Last edited by Fully; Mon Mar 17th, 2014 at 08:51 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No Respect for the Raps...Fuel for the playoffs!!!

An NBA scout on Marc Stein's blog...

“They’re the fourth-best team in the East to me. Chicago is the third-best team; everybody knows they have problems scoring but I promise you no one wants to play the Bulls in the playoffs. Then I like Charlotte.

“The Nets are going to have problems playing defense in the playoffs consistently. They rely a lot on experience and that’s not something you can rely on all the time. And I just think Toronto is a little soft inside. Their defense isn’t good enough to sustain for four [wins] in a series, and if you really get after DeMar [DeRozan] or Kyle Lowry, they’re going to struggle to score. I like Charlotte better than both of those teams.”
    LINK

Lucky for him/her, that scout doesn't give their name. However, after the first round is over I'll email Marc with the link to this article for him to forward to the scout... Feel free to suggest taglines.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    An NBA scout on Marc Stein's blog...

LINK

Lucky for him/her, that scout doesn't give their name. However, after the first round is over I'll email Marc with the link to this article for him to forward to the scout... Feel free to suggest taglines.
    Just merged this with the same topic as yesterday ezz.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Teams have played Derozan like this forever. You can go back 2-3 years and watch how the Celtics guarded him. Taking away his time and space is essential cause he's not terrific with the ball. This year, they've alleviated the issue by running him off a tonne of pindowns, successive screens and hand-offs to clear defenders and give him more time and space. Also, Derozan's done a far better job dealing with it by: finishing or getting to the line OR moving the ball. It's when he tries to do too much that he gets in trouble.... like in the PHX game.
    DD is just in a slump.

Shit happens.

Couldn't agree more with the bold.
    "You don’t know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information