• No

1 3.13%
  • Only on Back to backs

9 28.13%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Landry Fields or Salmons

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea not sure what DC's issue is. The only thing salmon has over Field's is shooting (even though he's not that great a shooter). Fields has proven to be a decent point forward option, great at making cuts, and good at guarding 2/3s.

I guess Salmon's also has a bit more poise than Fields. Salmon's does make mistakes at times but he's usually reliable during crunch time. Not sure where field's at mentally right now. He probably has 0 confidence right now because he's riding the pine 99% of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be happy to see Fields get some playing time ahead of Salmons, because it's not like Salmons' shot has been dropping lately.

On a related note, I quite liked what I saw from De Colo last night, so he could be a third option, at least for the backup SG spot.

3. Like chch166, Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I'd be happy to see Fields get some playing time ahead of Salmons, because it's not like Salmons' shot has been dropping lately.

On a related note, I quite liked what I saw from De Colo last night, so he could be a third option, at least for the backup SG spot.
    Although against the rules of this thread, I might even lean towards giving De Colo the full-time backup gig for a stretch of 3-5 games and seeing how he runs with it.

At first, I was against the idea of screwing with the rotation, but with recent injuries, and Salmons not providing much anyway, it seems like a good idea at least in terms of player evaluation. Masai knows what he's got in Fields and Salmons, but De Colo is still somewhat of an unknown.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Salmons, then the Salmons you get on a back to back, and perhaps Feilds after that. Not only can Fields not shoot the ball, but he can't dribble it either, and Salmons is no slouch defensively, so I don't mind the little he gives up to Fields in that department. Salmons brings a lot more to the table I feel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Salmons, then the Salmons you get on a back to back, and perhaps Feilds after that. Not only can Fields not shoot the ball, but he can't dribble it either, and Salmons is no slouch defensively, so I don't mind the little he gives up to Fields in that department. Salmons brings a lot more to the table I feel.
    I actually think Fields has better ball-handling ability than either DeRozan or Ross.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Jesus did you not read the thread title?
    Jesus bad hair day or something?

What if I think neither should be playing? They are both severely limited on the offensive side of the floor, whereas De Colo has both sides of the ball so I think he should be playing over both of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Salmons has been putrid in March. ~31 FG%, ~27% from beyond the arc. Salmons is fine when Patterson and Vasquez are playing well cause you don't need his scoring but they can't rely on him to provide any offense. He's been playing less recently (hasn't broken 20 minutes since the Brooklyn game), so the coaching staff is obviously not ignoring the recent struggles.

The issue with Fields is that he really hasn't played: 9 games since January 1st and 8 of those have been pure garbage time (less than 2 minutes in 5 of those games). Clearly, Casey doesn't think he gives them anything when he's out there. Given how they've played since January 1st, it's hard to argue.

For me, the issue is less about Salmons and Fields and more about Ross. Ross needs to be a 30 MPG guy for them and that means he needs to be consistent and productive. In the playoffs, Ross needs to be 35+MPG guy, they can't be running out Fields and Salmons out there much, if at all.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

What if I think neither should be playing? They are both severely limited on the offensive side of the floor, whereas De Colo has both sides of the ball so I think he should be playing over both of them.
    Lol I was just kidding you. I thought it was funny that you mentioned two players and neither were the two mentioned by the OP. And FWIW I agree, I'd like to see De Colo get a shot.

Raptors Republic Starter 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

Gotta agree with you. If Fields was healthy this debate would make sense, but it certainly seems he isn't and De Colo has supplanted him, at least for the time being.

11. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I actually think Fields has better ball-handling ability than either DeRozan or Ross.
    If he does, I've yet to see it. Any time the ball is passed to Fields you know he is going to swing the ball. Atleast with Ross or DD, you know they can be a threat to drive the ball if they see an open lane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    If he does, I've yet to see it. Any time the ball is passed to Fields you know he is going to swing the ball. Atleast with Ross or DD, you know they can be a threat to drive the ball if they see an open lane.
    I just find he's much more comfortable getting to places on the court with the ball.

And when the Lowry trade rumours were circulating, we were (very loosely) discussing the possibility of Fields taking on some point forward responsibilities.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

de Colo over both Field and Salmons. He does everything Landry does, but better. He also has the versatility to play PG while Lowry goes off the ball, and he can hit 3's. de Colo's defense was a huge turning point in the game last night. Give all the backup SG minutes to de Colo, and play Ross/Derozan at SF with him. Keep Salmons and Fields off the court. Chuck Hayes too while we're at it (come back soon PP and JV).

Raptors Republic Starter 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    de Colo over both Field and Salmons. He does everything Landry does, but better
    Landry sits on the bench. DeColo is better at sitting on the bench?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

They both play good d. If salmons not shooting well fields should get a chance.

Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    It's pretty easy when your going up against 3rd stringers and d-leaguers. I like Fields but right now he's just an overpaid scrub

It feels like Fields played a total of 5 minutes this season

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Salmons should only see the court every other game, off of 2 days rest.

I think to fill in should be De colo, if vasquez is having an off night then you run de colo at point for backup with fields playing alongside lowry.

19. Like chch166 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see more of De Colo as well. I have no interest in seeing more of Landry Fields.

Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would prefer him to salmons if fields can find his shot back
    ya dun noe

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

[Casey is not going to play Fields even if he had no injuries. He just doesn't appreciate his game. The raptors are a jump shooting team and Casey's system is not geared for diagonal cuts at which Fields is one of the best in the league. The players the raptors got from Sac are jump shooters before they are anything else and play on the perimeter. The raptors don't look for cutters because the offense is about pick and rolls, pick downs for jumpers, screens for jumpers or swing the ball around for jump shots or 3s. Just look at where the majority of the assist come from in the offense. If you saw the Golden state game when Fields started for an injured Ross you saw what he brings to the table. He played defense on Klay Thompson who went ( 4-15 ), took a charge on Steph Curry and set a pick so Lowry could get a shot off that he made. Because Fields has a high basketball IQ he read the defense and made 2 back door cuts for a dunk and a reverse lay up in which all of the Golden State players lost track of him especially Curry. He pulled down 6 rebounds one that was an offense rebound to keep the possession alive and had 8 points on 4-5 shooting. Those who would only want Fields to play over Salmons if he found his shot are over valuing what's has never been his biggest asset and fail to see what a good all around player can do to help a team win. He didn't take shots he had no chance of making had a steal and no turnovers in 24 minutes and you beat the number 6 team in the west. Why your coach would jump Fields over Salmons for an injured Ross and then say at the Golden State post game press conference that he commends Fields on his professionalism for not playing in a long time and being ready when he was called upon and then not give him any minutes since that game is perplexing at best. In the last 9 games Salmons is 14-45 from the field and is 3-15 from the field the last 4 games with 8 rebounds and 0 assist. So why was Fields good enough to start over Salmons but is not good enough to get any of Salmons minutes even on a back to back?. Fields is a movement kind of player and is at his best when things are chaotic or at a fast pace so he can make decisions on the fly. Casey's system doesn't encourage that kind of skillset. The last lob Fields got for a dunk that counted was when Jose threw him one not that he can't do it Fields and Lin did it all the time when they played together. Remember the raptors are not in the position they thought they would be at this time so Casey won't rock the boat he'll continue to play Salmons over Fields.

23. Like RepTdot, Puffer liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't agree more

Thread Information