Bring Back Grunwald?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring Back Grunwald?

Was thinking about it.. now that Glen Grunwald was already replaced by Steve Mills, and now Phil has come in, I can't imagine Glen has much, if any, real say around the Knicks. Do you think he could offer anything to Masai's staff?

Pretty sure he still maintains some sort of residence in Toronto, and became a Canadian Citizen way back in the day.

Perusing his Wikipedia, I notice something else pretty impressive:
    Grunwald later became the President and CEO of the Toronto Board of Trade, the largest local business organization in Canada, and is heavily involved in both the business and social communities of Toronto. In addition to his work at the Board of Trade, he sat on the Board of Governors at George Brown College, the Board of Directors at the Greater Toronto Marketing Alliance, and the Board of the Toronto City Summit Alliance. He was further involved with the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, as well as Canada Basketball.
    This guy clearly cared a great deal about Toronto, and hell.. his legacy here is one of the few that left relatively untarnished.

What do you guys think? Would he even have anything to offer the Team?

Or would is this just more nostalgic thinking? Vince? Glen? ... Oh the Glory Days.
    Last edited by Joey; Sat Mar 22, 2014, 09:11 AM.

Nostalgic thinking at its finest, Joey!

Masai has a tight knit front office. Now if Weltman leaves for a GM gig maybe there is an opportunity.

Comment

Grunwald was and is a smart man. He wasn't able to turn around the mess in New York, but I don't know how much of that is on him or on the circumstances at the time since I wasn't following the NY narrative.

Comment

He did trade for Bargnani and sign JR Smith and Ray Felton and Steve Novak to all those bad deals. Can we really blame Dolan for everything?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Nostalgic thinking at its finest, Joey!

Masai has a tight knit front office. Now if Weltman leaves for a GM gig maybe there is an opportunity.
          As long as they can keep him through the draft process

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
            He did trade for Bargnani and sign JR Smith and Ray Felton and Steve Novak to all those bad deals. Can we really blame Dolan for everything?

Comment

I have always liked Grunwald even thru the bad times...but how could he make that trade (for the Knicks) for Bargs??? Even Masai would have to question his (Grunwald's bb deal acumen) on that transaction. But who knows if he was "forced" into it. He obviously has an eye for macro business dealings (BOT job) so getting him to be in charge of spreading the Raptor brand across Canada while also keeping an eye on talent might be a good thing. Depends on what he wants to do ...I think MU is set on his core talent evaluating team though.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                I have always liked Grunwald even thru the bad times...but how could he make that trade (for the Knicks) for Bargs??? Even Masai would have to question his (Grunwald's bb deal acumen) on that transaction. But who knows if he was "forced" into it. He obviously has an eye for macro business dealings (BOT job) so getting him to be in charge of spreading the Raptor brand across Canada while also keeping an eye on talent might be a good thing. Depends on what he wants to do ...I think MU is set on his core talent evaluating team though.
                He was. This is pretty much on the record now. The agency repping Bargs, who have big pull in the Knicks organization, made the trade happen.
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Problem with Grunwald is that he seems to be too much in love with veterans. At least that's what I saw with his time in Toronto and then again with his time in NY.

Oakley for Camby. Davis for Bender (although that worked out). He went out and signed a 38 year old Hakeem Olajuwon. The Knicks had the oldest team in the league last year I believe. Might actually be the ideal front office guy for Casey

I just don't know if he and MU would mesh well together. If MU likes the idea and Grunwald accepts a role here I hope it works out.. but it's not something I'd be super excited about if it happened.

Comment

Nostalgia, all the way, Joey. Grunwald's GM legacy is pretty much the definition of mediocrity treadmill. He was a nice guy, for sure, but no.

Comment

I'm taking issue with the Wiki article. It claims Grunwald oversaw the trade for VC (true) and the drafting of TMac (absolutely false).

McGrady was Isiah's guy. I even remember Thomas bragging about hoodwinking a couple of GM's picking ahead of him to pass on TMac, although I can't remember the exact details of how he claimed to have done it.
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Grunwald will always have a place in Toronto's hearts and he did more good than bad overall in his transactions but its time for Raps fans to stop living in the past. I believe in Masai! n thats the only man I want making any decisions for the franchise

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                          He was. This is pretty much on the record now. The agency repping Bargs, who have big pull in the Knicks organization, made the trade happen.
                          Is it CAA & Leon Rose...jeebus! And how is Barny running with those guys? No wonder Melo gave the thumbs up on the deal. Rose is his agent. LOL. Makes one wonder who is running the league and franchises sometimes.

ps...did u know that Steve Mills the "gm" who Dolan insists shall work "with" (not for) Jackson was a biggie in CAA. And everyone wonders why the Knicks are a big cockup.

Comment

Working...
                          X