KD what the Raptors need: Kelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stooley wrote: View Post
    we don't even have cap space in 2016! we're spending what we got next year, or at least we should.
    Maybe they continue another year of Asset Accumulation?

Is 2015 going to be the year they get the piece that moves the needle to contender? I mean it might but I'm not optimistic.

Maybe they take their expiring contracts and take a guy on for another year for 2015-16 to get a draft pick or cheap rookie scale prospect.... basically a deal similar to what was done this year to get Lou Williams and Bebe.

2016 is when the TV contract will be up for renewal.

If cap suddenly goes up to $80M as it stands now they'd have about $60M in salaries and cap holds (Lowry, DD, JV, Ross, Bebe, Bruno, PP, 2015 pick, 2 2016 picks) just shy of a max deal in an $80M cap world.

His pectoral injuries do worry me though.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      Maybe they continue another year of Asset Accumulation?

Is 2015 going to be the year they get the piece that moves the needle to contender? I mean it might but I'm not optimistic.

Maybe they take their expiring contracts and take a guy on for another year for 2015-16 to get a draft pick or cheap rookie scale prospect.... basically a deal similar to what was done this year to get Lou Williams and Bebe.

2016 is when the TV contract will be up for renewal.

If cap suddenly goes up to $80M as it stands now they'd have about $60M in salaries and cap holds (Lowry, DD, JV, Ross, Bebe, Bruno, PP, 2015 pick, 2 2016 picks) just shy of a max deal in an $80M cap world.

His pectoral injuries do worry me though.
      true, forgot about the likely cap jump. i like horford. a little less than millsap, but he'd still be great.

edit: and i guess in terms of 'assets' you've got to factor in the cost of those assets. unfortunately when that cost increases, the 'value' associated with those assets decreases.

so adding assets is great, but you still have to kind of figure out a timeline and determine when those assets peak, or at what point in time, the assets you've accumulated will have maximum value.
      Last edited by stooley; Wed Jul 30, 2014, 09:07 AM.
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
        true, forgot about the likely cap jump. i like horford. a little less than millsap, but he'd still be great.

edit: and i guess in terms of 'assets' you've got to factor in the cost of those assets. unfortunately when that cost increases, the 'value' associated with those assets decreases.

so adding assets is great, but you still have to kind of figure out a timeline and determine when those assets peak, or at what point in time, the assets you've accumulated will have maximum value.
        True.

But I think Masai views 11-15 on the roster as the bridge to continuity (i.e. developing potential players - either role players like Buycks, Stone, Daniels or potential stars in Bruno).

In terms of the Raptors core, the only guys not in the window of the next 7-8 years are Lowry and Amir.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          True.

But I think Masai views 11-15 on the roster as the bridge to continuity (i.e. developing potential players - either role players like Buycks, Stone, Daniels or potential stars in Bruno).

In terms of the Raptors core, the only guys not in the window of the next 7-8 years are Lowry and Amir.
          This is why I think in spite of him being awesome, if Amir is looking for a decent pay day after this year, we see him replaced by a top PF via free agency (Love, Millsap, etc).
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Love Horford. He is vastly underrated.

Incredibly consistent. Can play both C and PF positions. Does everything offensively and efficiently except hit the 3. Tough as nails. Great rebounder and defender. Great character guy.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
              You can bring up Westbrook and the knee surgeries. has it affected his play negatively in any way when he's on the court. Do you see him having lost any of his explosiveness? Until the knees are becoming a real problem, you're making a bigger deal out of something that is not an issue at this point in time. Lowry had all kinds of previous injury concerns but he';s been healthy this year (contract year) RW on bad knees is still better than any healthy player the Raps have.

Ibaka is a 3rd fiddle on OKC. If you put him on the Raps where does he rank? Yeah, he's probably the best player on the team (argument to be made with Ibaka vs. Lowry) so imho, OKC's 3rd wheel is better or equivalent to the Raps 1st wheel.

These question marks you refer to for OKC is no different than the Raptors. The Raps best player could walk at the end of the year. JV has looked like he has regressed. They still don't have a swing man that can actually create his own shot. They have FA's that are part of the team now that could once again leave, so to me the questions marks apply to the Raps as well. In fact the Raps have question marks when it comes to talent, OKC isn't.

if you think they are contenders simply because of KD, I would have to disagree with you. You need more than one player to be a contender in this league. Just ask Lebron.

How can you say for certain that Toronto is a playoff team next year or the year after that for that matter? When was the last time they were in the playoffs? When was the last time they were making the playoffs consistently?

You're giving them way too much benefit of the doubt.
              Wow I disagree with almost everything you said.

1. I'll give you RW is better than anyone not the Raptors.
              2. I think Derozan and Lowry are both better than Ibaka. It's arguable.
              3. I don't understand how the hell you can say Valanciunas has regressed. More points and more rebounds from year 1 to year 2. FG% went down 2% due to usage going up 2%. Blocks went down because of the coaching staff stressing verticality.
              4. "They still don't have a swing man that can create his own shot." I'm not entirely sure you've heard of Demar Derozan, you know, the guy that played mostly SF this season and averaged 20 points a game.
              5. "You need more than one player to be a contender in this league. Just ask Lebron." Hmmm Lebron made it to the finals with a supporting cast of Ilgauskas, Varejao, Boobie Gibson, Pavlovic, Gooden, Larry Hughes and Donyell Marshall. GREAT supporting cast eh?

I'm not saying the raps are getting Durant in 2016 but you're trying to disprove it by mostly making stupid points and talking out of your ass, no offense.

Fact is, EVERY team is gonna want Durant, at least 10 will make legit runs at him and 1 team will actually sign him. So odds are low no matter who you are, even OKC (unless they win in the next two years). Management is smart to take a legit run at him because we do have a couple things going for us. And last thing, as far as making the playoffs, we'll need to make the playoffs to get Durant. I realize it's not a given or a certainty by any means, but it is very likely. If we don't make the playoffs either next year or the year after, we won't be focused on getting Durant, we'll be focused on getting players that'll get us back into the playoffs.

Comment

Comment

Mamba Mentality

Comment

It's definite then. Coming to the Raps.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                      It's definite then. Coming to the Raps.

We need to clear a roster spot. Trade Demar

Comment

Many NBAers were in Tdot last night... KD, LBJ, Bledsoe..

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                          Many NBAers were in Tdot last night... KD, LBJ, Bledsoe..
                          Silver might as well just hand us the championship

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                            Silver might as well just hand us the championship
                            OR he'll fine $2M Drake for tampering

Comment

Mamba Mentality

Comment

People around here still joke about Drake but he has a LOT to broaden the fanbase and serve as an 'ambassor' for the franchise in the US market.

He must have a handshake deal with MLSE or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X