Offseason: Its contract extension time: What I would offer and why edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stooley wrote: View Post
    What if Patterson asks for 3 years 15 million?

Do you just say no and lose him for nothing?
    Last year, Patterson played 71 games, averaged 25 minutes. Scored 10.4 points on 51.2% shooting, with a TS% of 56.6. He had a WS of 4.1 last year.

He's in his fourth year, is 25, and is a stretch 4 who can play defense.

I think you're undervaluing him a little.

I'd be prepared to give him 4 years/24 million
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Just to put it out there, as it stands now....

2Pat's qualifying offer is just over $4.3 million.

Vasquez's is around $3.2 million.

So those are the minimum offers if Toronto wants to maintain RFA rights to these guys.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
        I think there's a bunch of guys here who would do a good job as a rep

BobLoblaw/Matt52/Magoon as well as a few others.
        Yes, of course there are many.

I was mostly trying to emphasize how I agreed with Bob by cracking a joke, seeing as there's no way RR will ever be sending a rep to talk with Masai or any other GM.
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          Just to put it out there, as it stands now....

2Pat's qualifying offer is just over $4.3 million.

Vasquez's is around $3.2 million.

So those are the minimum offers if Toronto wants to maintain RFA rights to these guys.
          Precisely. Make the qualifying offers. Let them shop around. If somebody else wants to overpay, that's fine; point guard and power forward are the two most stacked positions in the league, we can always find more of those. And if nobody wants to overpay, we offer them fair three year deals.

Comment

The Raps should resign Lowry, 2Pat, and Vasquez.
            I also want them to go after Xavier Henry, that dude has some mad skills. He reminds me of a young Andre Iguoadala

Comment

I think with Toronto being Toronto that if Lowry asks even up to 12 a year you have to give it to him, we really don't have that many other options. I see a sign & trade only happening if Lowry turns Toronto down, not the other way around.

Patterson, as much as I love him, should not get over 6.5m per year.

Vasquez I see leaving. He'll get $5M from someone like a Washington, Detroit or maybe a Portland/Houston team just wanting more punch off the bench.

Comment

With respect to what Lowry can get this summer: it will be extremely dependent on what happens in the playoffs. $12m is probably his ceiling if the Raptors flame out quickly. If they have a very good run, Lowry suddenly becomes a very, very attractive free agent who might even be offered a max deal (see: the Knicks, who I can credibly see offering Lowry a max deal in the hopes of making him want to go there and getting Toronto to agree to a sign and trade; the Pistons also seem like a candidate in this regard).

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  The Raps should resign Lowry, 2Pat, and Vasquez.
                  I also want them to go after Xavier Henry, that dude has some mad skills. He reminds me of a young Andre Iguoadala
                  I don't know what it is about him but I like his game too, lots of talent there. Could be a nice backup wing

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                    With respect to what Lowry can get this summer: it will be extremely dependent on what happens in the playoffs. $12m is probably his ceiling if the Raptors flame out quickly. If they have a very good run, Lowry suddenly becomes a very, very attractive free agent who might even be offered a max deal (see: the Knicks, who I can credibly see offering Lowry a max deal in the hopes of making him want to go there and getting Toronto to agree to a sign and trade; the Pistons also seem like a candidate in this regard).
                    Although the Knicks will be extremely hard pressed to find the capspace to make such an offer.

I could see the Pistons considering it because they have some decent capspace....but they're just such a mess.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Although the Knicks will be extremely hard pressed to find the capspace to make such an offer.
                      "We'll send you Amare Stoudemire and our 2018 and 2020 first-rounders in a sign and trade."

If we can't convince Lowry to re-sign for $12-13 and he wants to go to New York? I make that deal every single time.

Comment

"We'll send you Amare Stoudemire and our 2018 and 2020 first-rounders in a sign and trade."

If we can't convince Lowry to re-sign for $12-13 and he wants to go to New York? I make that deal every single time.
                        Yeah, I might be ok with that. Stoudemire's massive expiring deal and some picks. I hate that the Knicks' picks would all have to be way down the line though. Would much rather they come from a team that can offer picks that come before 2018.

I think the Knicks are understandably a tough read right now. With Jackson in the mix, and Melo likely opting out this summer....don't know what to expect from them at all.

Back on the Pistons, not sure they have any player asset the Raps would actually want to take back in a trade. Maybe Monroe, but given what his new pricetag could be, not sure it'll be that appealing to Masai.

Comment

What if Patterson asks for 3 years 15 million?

Do you just say no and lose him for nothing?
                          Last year, Patterson played 71 games, averaged 25 minutes. Scored 10.4 points on 51.2% shooting, with a TS% of 56.6. He had a WS of 4.1 last year.

He's in his fourth year, is 25, and is a stretch 4 who can play defense.

I think you're undervaluing him a little.

I'd be prepared to give him 4 years/24 million
                          I don't think the Raptors are in position to start signing backups and borderline starters to midlevel contracts.

If you think Patterson is a big bargain at 4/24, then yes, I value him as a player much lower than you do.

More likely we disagree on how the Raptors should build. I think the Raptors have to find another foundational player, probably via free agency, and keep flexibility until then. If Ujiri finds major bargains that can easily be moved, fine. But the worst thing that the Raptors could do IMO is start throwing midlevel type contracts at midlevel type free agents.

Comment

Absolutely.

If I am Masai I am looking to take on the most and absolute worst contracts I can for 2014-15 (MUST EXPIRE!) in exchange for the most assets (prospects/picks) I can get as long as it does not include the Raptors giving up any assets (DD, TR, JV, PP, GV, AJ, picks) to do it.

Raps are not going to be players in free agency until 2015. Might as well get as much for their cap space as they can for 2014-15. The only negative to this would be if they wanted to get cute with an extension for Amir and pull an OKC/Collison and give an extension with a huge signing bonus that would minimize future year cap hits.

Comment

I believe Jackson will be making the calls and not Dolan. Does Jackson like Lowry enough to offer him a max deal considering Phil never had a super-star PG on his teams. Jackson likes smart / big guards. I don't think Lowry is the type of guard that would make Phil giddy.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                                Hear hear! I fully agree with every word posted above. If RR ever gets to send a representative to the Raptors front office to discuss signings and strategy, I nominate BobLoblaw
                                ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                                I think there's a bunch of guys here who would do a good job as a rep

BobLoblaw/Matt52/Magoon as well as a few others.
                                Sadly with the talent spotting ability of Ujiri and Weltman plus the cap wizard Bobby Webster, I think Raps are set.

If they ever need our opinions - uh oh!.... but they'll know where to find them.

Comment

Working...
                                X