Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Duane Casey's coaching ability..

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Duane Casey's coaching ability..

Is he really that bad? I feel like the consensus here is that he can't manage substitutions and late game situations, making him a terrible coach...

BUT...

is it possible to say that this team, with this current roster, isn't well coached? (considering their over-achieving record and improvement of young players)

I feel like I'll get ripped apart for saying this, but Casey has been a good coach this year. He managed to coach this team to relevancy for the first time in years, and is in the running for COY. Rip apart his coaching schemes all you want, but they have made this team the best 4th quarter team in the league (which means they execute when it matters), and a record well above .500 with a very young core group of players

and he STILL gets all the blame for MOST losses. Obviously some of his decisions frustrate me as well (e.g., Lowry not getting last shot in Cleveland), but is it really fair to blame the guy that arguably is one of the biggest reasons the Raptors are where they are now?

EDIT: Misspelt his name in the title, please fix mods lol
    Last edited by wallz; Wed Mar 26th, 2014 at 11:45 AM.

2. Like Mediumcore liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey is good until the last 2 minutes. Unfortunately so many games are decided in the last 2 minutes.

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Casey is good until the last 2 minutes. Unfortunately so many games are decided in the last 2 minutes.
    Good point to bring up. I'd like to see some sort of stat that shows how well the team executes in the last 2 minutes compared to the overall 4th quarter

Post Thanks / Like

He's a good motivator and knows his defense but i wish he did more during the first 3 quarters to get the guys to play harder and just stepped back and let Nurse handle the last 2 minutes. dude is a total putz when it comes to rotations and his love affair with Novak is absolutely infuriating.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel like DC is a lot like JV.

Could be great at what he does, if he could improve on consistency, versatility, and decision making.

Can be having a great game, until he completely flops... We just can't bench him.

Needs to be reminded to focus on what the team needs of him and what he's good at (i.e focus on motivation and the defensive end, let Bayno and the others focus on player development, offense, and late game sets)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    He's a good motivator and knows his defense but i wish he did more during the first 3 quarters to get the guys to play harder and just stepped back and let Nurse handle the last 2 minutes. dude is a total putz when it comes to rotations and his love affair with Novak is absolutely infuriating.
    If he used Novak correctly I wouldn't might his love for him. But he runs NO plays to get Novak open and expects Novak to produce for us in a positive way. People get at me for calling him an idiot but he does a lot of things that just make absolutely NO sense that that's the only word that comes to my head. It's shocking at how much lack of common sense he has.

8. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star jacobdr4's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel like casey is a good out of game coach. He can run sets in practice and get the guys to know how to play and how to get ready. Seems like when things go bad he can't adjust very well.

He also struggles with in game plays and lineups. Seems like the type of coach who is a great guy to have a practice but you don't want running the show during the game. Probably why he makes such a great assistant.

10. Like caccia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey got way too much credit his first year. He got way too much blame last year. And he takes too much heat for the end-of-game stuff.

The play last night for example was clearly run for Lowry. It's the same type of play the Spurs often use to get the ball to Parker late in games. The problem isn't the play call rather the execution of the play. Vasquez panicked instead of waiting for Lowry and then he got himself in huge trouble trying to be the hero. Every late game scenario where they have pulled the Keystone Cops routine has been more about execution than play call.

Casey has improved his game management immensely since last season and he deserves credit for that. He can't be blamed for having poor options on the bench and he can't be blamed for Derozan and Ross dribbling balls off their feet or for Vasquez going rougue.

EDIT: Casey has cost them two games this year: the Charlotte game where they inexplicably didn't foul and there was a subsequent game where the same type of issue arose.

You can always say the coach should have ran 'x' or 'y' but if the players do their job....
    Last edited by slaw; Wed Mar 26th, 2014 at 12:02 PM.

12. Like special1, Mediumcore, wallz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote GLF wrote: View Post
    If he used Novak correctly I wouldn't might his love for him. But he runs NO plays to get Novak open and expects Novak to produce for us in a positive way. People get at me for calling him an idiot but he does a lot of things that just make absolutely NO sense that that's the only word that comes to my head. It's shocking at how much lack of common sense he has.
    Common sense often is not that common.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Cleveland loss had absolutely nothing to do with Casey's coaching ability...it was all on the players for shitting the bed through 2-1/2 Q's.

15. Like special1, Letter N liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    The Cleveland loss had absolutely nothing to do with Casey's coaching ability...it was all on the players for shitting the bed through 2-1/2 Q's.
    The players are to blame for not showing up but Casey failed to put players in the best position to be successful when it was 96-95 onwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
    I feel like casey is a good out of game coach. He can run sets in practice and get the guys to know how to play and how to get ready. Seems like when things go bad he can't adjust very well.

He also struggles with in game plays and lineups. Seems like the type of coach who is a great guy to have a practice but you don't want running the show during the game. Probably why he makes such a great assistant.
    Good assessment.

Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The one thing about Casey that makes me extremely angry is his infatuation with veteran players. He will always play the vet for no reason at all and that in itself has cost of some games

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MACK11 wrote: View Post
    The one thing about Casey that makes me extremely angry is his infatuation with veteran players. He will always play the vet for no reason at all and that in itself has cost of some games
    an example of this was yesterday's game against the Cavs

He subbed in Steve Novak for Terrence Ross which made no sense because both a great shooters. Terrence was 4-9 from 3 in the game and Novak was 1-5

So why sub in Novak for someone who was already warm and making 3's during the game?

Novak came off the bench and he was cold so the only reason the substitution happened was because Novak is a Vet and Terrence is a second year player.

I just don't understand Casey's love for Vets when they are not gonna help us win more than the younger guy will

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote wallz wrote: View Post
    Is he really that bad? I feel like the consensus here is that he can't manage substitutions and late game situations, making him a terrible coach...

BUT...

is it possible to say that this team, with this current roster, isn't well coached? (considering their over-achieving record and improvement of young players)

I feel like I'll get ripped apart for saying this, but Casey has been a good coach this year. He managed to coach this team to relevancy for the first time in years, and is in the running for COY. Rip apart his coaching schemes all you want, but they have made this team the best 4th quarter team in the league (which means they execute when it matters), and a record well above .500 with a very young core group of players

and he STILL gets all the blame for MOST losses. Obviously some of his decisions frustrate me as well (e.g., Lowry not getting last shot in Cleveland), but is it really fair to blame the guy that arguably is one of the biggest reasons the Raptors are where they are now?

EDIT: Misspelt his name in the title, please fix mods lol
    Everything in bold is a really interesting issue. I remember hearing Chuck Klosterman on a Simmons podcast bringing up an excellent point along the same lines as what you're talking about. The point was:

How much is coaching about what the players are being taught when they aren't playing games, and how much is about in-game strategy?

All we ever see is in-game strategy, so that's what we make our assessments on. But there's definitely more going on.

I get the feeling that Casey's an excellent coach away from the games. However, it seems clear to me that he's severely limited as an in-game coach.

And that, to me, suggests he's better suited to being a lead assistant.

Post Thanks / Like

Vasquez averages 14FGA per 36.
    Kyle Lowry averages 13 FGA per 36

That's ridiculous Casey needs to tell Vasquez your not a scorer and start passing the Fucking ball!

How can Vas shoot more per 36 then KLOW7???
    He's 2 years away from being 2 years away, but his wingspan is already here .

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The players are to blame for not showing up but Casey failed to put players in the best position to be successful when it was 96-95 onwards.
    I disagree, they executed poorly down the stretch...players fault. And if they had to show up to play, then they should have been blowing out the Cavs and resting for most of the 4th. Like Casey said, the game was lost in the 1st.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MACK11 wrote: View Post
    Vasquez averages 14FGA per 36.
    Kyle Lowry averages 13 FGA per 36

That's ridiculous Casey needs to tell Vasquez your not a scorer and start passing the Fucking ball!

How can Vas shoot more per 36 then KLOW7???
    Look at who he plays with as opposed to Lowry. Vasquez is out there with Hayes, Hansbrough, Salmons...... he has to score.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Look at who he plays with as opposed to Lowry. Vasquez is out there with Hayes, Hansbrough, Salmons...... he has to score.
    Don't forget Novak! Who we never run any plays for....

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about that. If the players could have made their free throws it would be a completely different story.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information