Duane Casey's coaching ability..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thead wrote: View Post
    fucking hell people. When it comes time for an extension tell me then Ross and JV weren't developed properly, until then, unless you have special access to practices, know the exact schemes, and thereby know when they are fucking it up etc, relax. Casey doesn't trust rookies...fantastic, they will have plenty of time to properly learn the game and develop their bodies/fundamentals. JV still doesn't properly block out all the time. He gets a lot of his rebounds by expending far more energy than intellect. Ross takes whole quarters off. So relax people, they are going to be just fine. Next season their workload will increase a bit more, and you will see strong fundamental players instead of the entire roster of los angeles rookies fucked up and signed to 1 year deals lakers
    P
    Love it when someone takes the words out of my mouth, saves me time and effort. Unfortunately I don't know how to 'like' things via tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Should also point out that under Casey, DeRozan matured and developed into an all star, Amir can shoot, Ed Davis* was coming along quite nicely until banished to Memphis. JV has learned and shown flashes of an array of post moves, hooks, drop steps, mini fade and a baseline jumper. Ross has doubled his efforts on the defensive end, and no longer looks lost. I have questions about Casey as well, clock management, substitution patterns, but when it comes to development, and defensive principles, those are his strong suits, not his weak ones
      To be frank, we have no idea how much Casey had to do with any of this development, and how much was just a natural, average progression of a young players' skill. I think it's safe to say that all of Demar, Amir, Ed*, JV and Ross wouldn't be washing out in any organization they happened to find themselves in, given their personalities and, from what I can tell, dedication to the game.

(Then, course, there's Andrea, who certainly didn't further develop under Casey; if anything, he slightly regressed.)

Anyhoo, I'd credit the development of the players you mentioned to BC before Casey *shudder*; I think he drafted well; I think the development we've seen has been created from within, rather than from without.

(Edit: Actually, it's looking like Davis may be washing out, but I think the same thing would have happened here had he stayed.)
      Last edited by JimiCliff; Sat Mar 29, 2014, 07:25 PM.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• This playoffs will be a good indication of whether Casey is fit to be a head coach or just an assistant.
        I think he will probably be overmatched in the playoffs, and it will show with the adjusments that will be made in a series.

But even then, I'm not too worried with Casey as our coach until 2015/when we get a star game changer (Love, Durant,

Comment

• 2kfeen wrote: View Post
          This playoffs will be a good indication of whether Casey is fit to be a head coach or just an assistant.
          I think he will probably be overmatched in the playoffs, and it will show with the adjusments that will be made in a series.

But even then, I'm not too worried with Casey as our coach until 2015/when we get a star game changer (Love, Durant,
          Yeah, despite all my criticism of him, this is pretty much how I feel.

I wouldn't mind if they made a change though, but agree that the playoffs will show a lot. He's gotta prove he can coach when coaching really matters most. If he can I'll forgive a lot of his issues.

Comment

Next season their workload will increase a bit more, and you will see strong fundamental players instead of the entire roster of los angeles rookies fucked up and signed to 1 year deals lakers
            That's fucking insulting to two KEY players who have been massive components of the raptors success this season. I really hope I'm reading that wrongly.

Comment

Should also point out that under Casey, DeRozan matured and developed into an all star, Amir can shoot, Ed Davis was coming along quite nicely until banished to Memphis. JV has learned and shown flashes of an array of post moves, hooks, drop steps, mini fade and a baseline jumper. Ross has doubled his efforts on the defensive end, and no longer looks lost. I have questions about Casey as well, clock management, substitution patterns, but when it comes to development, and defensive principles, those are his strong suits, not his weak ones
              Good point re DeMar.

Comment

• This franchise needs stability, the turn-style of coaches is one of the reasons we can't sign players or retain them. Players want to know what they getting from day to day, and who will be leading them 2 years from now. Casey and his coaching staff have done a great job developing players and game plans and adjustments over halves to these game plans. I agree, some of the substitutions drive me crazy sometimes, but they are very far and few between. Casey has grown as a coach and this team is growing with him. He has their respect and their ear. He puts them in a position to win and it's their job to per form. When a player isn't he holds them accountable. It's everything we wanted in a coach. This team will only get better. He and his staff should be retained after this season.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                  But we had essentially the same roster last year, when the defence was awful, compared to the year before, when it was good. If Casey is the reason for some kind of sweeping defensive culture change, how could have there been such a disparity between years 1 and 2? Given everything we think we know, shouldn't the defence only have got better?

Chewy I think you answered this question about defence already:

I think that the intensity he's brought has galvanized the entire team's defence.
                  I agree. Once Rudy Gay was traded, Casey had no choice but to let him off the leash.

Everyone should read Terrence Ross's AMA on reddit. To the question who talks on D, he said this:

kyle lowry. always. before every play i ask him, 'yo what they running?'.
                  usually the team come down the court, lowry will recognize the play and call out what they're doing.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                    This franchise needs stability, the turn-style of coaches is one of the reasons we can't sign players or retain them. Players want to know what they getting from day to day, and who will be leading them 2 years from now. Casey and his coaching staff have done a great job developing players and game plans and adjustments over halves to these game plans. I agree, some of the substitutions drive me crazy sometimes, but they are very far and few between. Casey has grown as a coach and this team is growing with him. He has their respect and their ear. He puts them in a position to win and it's their job to per form. When a player isn't he holds them accountable. It's everything we wanted in a coach. This team will only get better. He and his staff should be retained after this season.
                    Can we hire an experienced coach for the last 2 minutes and retain Casey too?

Comment

• I would argue that maybe a guy with handles should be taking the last shot. Is that on Casey? I would say that's more performance based. I've seen DeMar,Ross and Vasquez cough up the ball in crucial minutes. I love DeMar and Ross but that shouldn't be on the coach. All he can do is design a play. This team will learn how to execute in those situations. And I'm not opposed to adding more talent to the coaching staff. If it takes hiring another X's and O's guy to get it done so be it. He's doing a great job and deserves credit. We have hung in there with the best teams and have been blown out maybe 3 times off the top of head. This team is only getting better, both coaching and players.

Comment

Working...
                      X