Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who should be our go to guy with final shot?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who should be our go to guy with final shot?

This is a very interesting write up that was on RR a few weeks ago. Sure you all saw it and read it. Very good points were brought up. http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/0...d-in-overtime/

I say Kyle. He's been clutch for a while now to get up back into games or keep up one step ahead of the other team.

Raptors Republic All-Star Raptorsnz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If it's someone just going 1 on 1, then Lowry. But in terms of the actual final shot I say whoever's open for a good shot (Johnson baseline 3 doesn't count)

3. Like Azor Ahai liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar lilmamba_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

T ross actually came up big last game how bout we give him a try sometime...
    if not then i guess we all agree on k low
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If demar has a shorter defender, I'd take his Kobe-like fadeaway anyday. If not, then lowry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowry or Demar

but for Demar it should be set up like it was in orlando last season

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Abbas wrote: View Post
    Lowry or Demar

but for Demar it should be set up like it was in orlando last season
    not sure if thats really a setup. it was a lucky fadeaway hurl over two defenders that probably would have not made it in 99 out of a 100 attempts.

8. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star KazanTheMan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Starts with an L ends in an Owry.
    "Masai WILL win us a championship"
    - Tim Leiweke

Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

Reporter: "How can you say that?"

Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

KYLE LOWRY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the whole idea of picking a 'closer'. It makes it too easy for the defense to key on him, forcing a tough or ill-advised shot.

I'd much rather put the ball in the hands of the team's best dribbler/penetrator (ie: Lowry), and draw a play that provides him options, based on the reaction from the defense. For example, give him a secondary option who can create his own shot (ie: DeRozan) if the defense collapses on him, make sure there's a couple spot-up shooters ready for a catch-and-shoot (ie: Ross), with at least one big (ie: Valanciunas/Johnson) ready to cleanup the garbage off a missed shot.

I find that all too often the play is called for a single player, whether it's DeRozan, Lowry or *gulp* Vasquez, and the other 4 players essentially become useless. It's just poor, lazy play-calling ("give it to Will" doesn't work in the NBA).

Post Thanks / Like

How about you just run an actual play with ball and player movement in the attempt to get a good shot? Why is hero ball bad for the entire game up to the last 30 seconds where it is necessary? Just get a good shot.

This ego crap about "our guy is better than your guy" and coaches' fears that they will be criticized if the right guy doesn't take the shot create more awful possessions at the end of games.........

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I don't like the whole idea of picking a 'closer'. It makes it too easy for the defense to key on him, forcing a tough or ill-advised shot.

I'd much rather put the ball in the hands of the team's best dribbler/penetrator (ie: Lowry), and draw a play that provides him options, based on the reaction from the defense. For example, give him a secondary option who can create his own shot (ie: DeRozan) if the defense collapses on him, make sure there's a couple spot-up shooters ready for a catch-and-shoot (ie: Ross), with at least one big (ie: Valanciunas/Johnson) ready to cleanup the garbage off a missed shot.

I find that all too often the play is called for a single player, whether it's DeRozan, Lowry or *gulp* Vasquez, and the other 4 players essentially become useless. It's just poor, lazy play-calling ("give it to Will" doesn't work in the NBA).

THIS^^^^

Unless we get a Durant or James we should do that

14. Like Puffer liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    How about you just run an actual play with ball and player movement in the attempt to get a good shot? Why is hero ball bad for the entire game up to the last 30 seconds where it is necessary? Just get a good shot.

This ego crap about "our guy is better than your guy" and coaches' fears that they will be criticized if the right guy doesn't take the shot create more awful possessions at the end of games.........
    Yeah I'm down with this.

Raptors Republic All-Star consmap's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post

Personally I wouldn't want too much ball movement during the final play. Defenses during that time are going to be very intense and aggressive, and with so much ball movement there's a risk for turnovers. Better than isos for DeMar though.

To the main question, I'd give the ball to Lowry.

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

we don't HAVE a go-to guy for the final shot.

Raptors Republic Superstar lilmamba_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    we don't HAVE a go-to guy for the final shot.
    are you tryin to say you want Rudy back
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
    are you tryin to say you want Rudy back
    no...NO....SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Like consmap, lilmamba_ liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie GoldenBaller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Whoever is the hottest that game. I don't know why we're strictly going with Demar and Lowry, of course in most occasions it would me lowry because he's usually the hottest but I some cases why not Ross or JV?

Raptors Republic Starter Ambidextrious's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowry all day then ross. Derozan is one of the least clutch players on this team. Only one game winner in 5 years with several opportunities. that not clutch...
    But I'm okay with Derozan being our #1 scoring option because it seems to be working, but until he proves otherwise we should have someone else taking that last shot.
    Last edited by Ambidextrious; Thu Mar 27th, 2014 at 08:14 PM.
    We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ross.

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
    Lowry all day then ross. Derozan is one of the least clutch players on this team. Only one game winner in 5 years with several opportunities. that not clutch...
    But I'm okay with Derozan being our #1 scoring option because it seems to be working, but until he proves otherwise we should have someone else taking that last shot.
    Derozan is fine. Stop with this nonsense

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information