Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who should be our go to guy with final shot?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    This is a very interesting write up that was on RR a few weeks ago. Sure you all saw it and read it. Very good points were brought up. http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/0...d-in-overtime/

I say Kyle. He's been clutch for a while now to get up back into games or keep up one step ahead of the other team.
    In agreement. He can drive or shoot the three.

Raptors Republic Rookie GoldenBaller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
    Lowry all day then ross. Derozan is one of the least clutch players on this team. Only one game winner in 5 years with several opportunities. that not clutch...
    But I'm okay with Derozan being our #1 scoring option because it seems to be working, but until he proves otherwise we should have someone else taking that last shot.
    It's not his fault Casey sucks at drawing up plays. Seriously, whenever they listen to Casey draw up a play, they turnover.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Run a play?
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

4. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote consmap wrote: View Post
    Personally I wouldn't want too much ball movement during the final play. Defenses during that time are going to be very intense and aggressive, and with so much ball movement there's a risk for turnovers. Better than isos for DeMar though.

To the main question, I'd give the ball to Lowry.
    Valid point.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote GoldenBaller wrote: View Post
    Whoever is the hottest that game. I don't know why we're strictly going with Demar and Lowry, of course in most occasions it would me lowry because he's usually the hottest but I some cases why not Ross or JV?
    That makes a lot of sense. Especially since a lot of times, that person is the reason the game is that close.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ball should be in Lowry's hands...forget the ISO...PnR with Amir setting a screen....create some options at least. I'm with most of the posters...you have to run a play with the ball in the hands of the best ball handler.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see a play run.

Some ideas: run a pick n pop with Lowry/Novak at the wing, with Amir setting a back-screen on Demar at the opposite wing and Ross camped in the far corner.

Alternate variation would be Lowry/Amir PNR, with Novak setting the back screen then pop on Demar and Ross camped in the far corner.

Lowry drive on wing, with JV and Amir setting a staggered double back screen for Demar to the hoop. Ross rolling along the arc at the top or set up in the ballside corner.

The simple common denominator: ball in Lowry's hands on a drive, shot goes to who is open. Novak/Ross for 3 on a catch and shoot, Demar cutting hard to the hoop with some help to get open. Bigs are there to set screens and crash the glass.
    F*ck Brooklyn

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends how much time is left, and who we're playing...but generally, I like to see the ball go to Lowry. From there, Lowry is a great option to take a shot, but also find Derozan in motion so he can get a little space for a shot, or find anyone else if they have a good look.
    Derozan is not Kevin Durant, so just throwing it into him all the time for an iso jump shot with the clock winding down is not going to lead to a high percentage shot. Sometimes though, this will be the only option, and Derozan does a good job at least getting his shot off. If he takes it with a few seconds left on the clock, we have a few players, like Amir, who are fairly good at getting tip-ins.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree that we need to run a proper play, and find the best look.

But to simply answer the OP's question, it has to be Lowry.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Agree that we need to run a proper play, and find the best look.

But to simply answer the OP's question, it has to be Lowry.
    100%

If it's a straight side-out, you need someone who can handle the ball. No one on our team (except for derozan in select areas) can flat out shoot over people. You need someone who can improvise and make plays.

Lowry is the only guy on our team who can do that consistently against high level competition.

Derozan, Ross, Vasquez and anyone else who has been given the ball has turned it over with the increased ball pressure and the pressure from the situation.

If casey doesn't think the same...I'm worried about the playoffs.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

If we need a 3 my vote is in this order
    Lowry
    Ross (love this option as he wouldn't be expected and can always get his shot off.)
    Novak (if casey figures out how to run a play for him)
    Demar

2 pointer i want a play run for demar curling off a screen, a post up on some sort of mismatch or even just dribble handoff from kyle where kyle has option to keep and go with it.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it should be anyone in particular. If there was a Superstar like Vince, it would've been a different story but as the team is composed, they should go with how the game's going. It could be Kyle or Demar or Ross or even PP or Gravis depending on the hot hand and opponents weaknesses/tendencies. Even Amir is not a bad option.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic Rookie RepTdot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Team MVP- KYLE LOWRY...he is money in the bank when the pressure is on

Post Thanks / Like

I have one problem with this thread.

We already have a number 1 closer, one of the very best.

Landry Fields.

#FIELDS4MVP
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

How about we run an actual proper play? Let Lowry initiate it to minimize hiccups. Then you want to look at running something with multiple options. Whether that's getting DD a mismatch in the post, hitting JV or Amir off a pick, setting up Ross for three or KLow doing it himself.

Hate this iso-crap at the end of games. There's literally only one player in the NBA who should be doing that and his name is Durant.

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    How about we run an actual proper play? Let Lowry initiate it to minimize hiccups. Then you want to look at running something with multiple options. Whether that's getting DD a mismatch in the post, hitting JV or Amir off a pick, setting up Ross for three or KLow doing it himself.

Hate this iso-crap at the end of games. There's literally only one player in the NBA who should be doing that and his name is Durant.
    Even Durant shouldn't be doing ISOs...unless they need a three

I think the raps should run pin down screens for DeMar and Ross who flash out to the wings, they are option #1, if it isn't there Amir comes top for a high screen and roll action with Lowry, with Ross and DD now sitting in the corners and JV on the opposite baseline (preferable on DD's side since Ross is the better 3pt shooter and should have the cleaner passing lane), Amir is an ELITE finisher, Lowry can both score and dish off the screen. A very generic play, but one that can be executed quickly, has lots of screens that will create miss-matches on switches (especially 2 guards on the PnR, which will help finishing at the rim, but also have a big who will suck in and leave JV or a shooter), it also has lots of options and player movement.

Definitely could be run in 10 seconds. The only way to stop it is to throw a double on the ball handler or have extremely high pressure, in both cases I am comfortable with Lowry making the right decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Even Durant shouldn't be doing ISOs...unless they need a three

I think the raps should run pin down screens for DeMar and Ross who flash out to the wings, they are option #1, if it isn't there Amir comes top for a high screen and roll action with Lowry, with Ross and DD now sitting in the corners and JV on the opposite baseline (preferable on DD's side since Ross is the better 3pt shooter and should have the cleaner passing lane), Amir is an ELITE finisher, Lowry can both score and dish off the screen. A very generic play, but one that can be executed quickly, has lots of screens that will create miss-matches on switches (especially 2 guards on the PnR, which will help finishing at the rim, but also have a big who will suck in and leave JV or a shooter), it also has lots of options and player movement.

Definitely could be run in 10 seconds. The only way to stop it is to throw a double on the ball handler or have extremely high pressure, in both cases I am comfortable with Lowry making the right decision.
    I'd say he did pretty well against us a few games ago...
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
    I'd say he did pretty well against us a few games ago...
    Well they did go for the three....

Raptors Republic Starter YoungGunRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So many great comments on this thread, and I agree with many of them.

Personally, I would love to see a pick and roll with Derozan as the ball handler and Amir/JV as the rollers. If Demar doesn't have the pass or the drive, he hits Lowry with a pass and Lowry can either shoot his shot, swing to Ross in the corner, or hit a rolling Amir/JV. Obviously you can change Lowry and Derozan's roles, so long as they only shoot if the shot is a clear one.

Bottom line, we need to break down the defence with a real play call, not a lazy hero ball play.
    “You can sink and drown, or you can float, and we out here like Michael Phelps."

Demar Derozan

Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Catch and shoot, anyone

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thread Information