Thread: The Raptors Have Changed the NCAA Forever!

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Raptors Have Changed the NCAA Forever!

According to this online article from Yahoo Sports:

Bumbling Raptors

Interesting article. Not news to us, but a nice acknowledgement. Which begs the question. Has Raptors management been aware of this process? I assume so since they have long been involved with Canada Basketball (almost from the start of the team as I recall).

2. Like mcHAPPY, Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The opening line is an instant classic:

In 1995, the Toronto Raptors began playing in the NBA. You may not have noticed
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

4. Like Axel, Nilanka, BobLoblaw, iblastoff liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Been a lot of articles like this the last few months. It's nice to see. The Raptors having an unexpectedly good year, even considering the mediocre talent in the conference, has given the team a lot of attention.

With the number of Canadians playing basketball increasing, I'm sure we'll continue to see lots of them playing in the NCAA, and in the NBA. A successful Raptors team would definitely help to mimic the Vince Carter effect, inspiring young kids to take up basketball.

I had been disappointed that the Raptors hadn't been able to make the playoffs the last few years while the Leafs struggled (last year aside), but this could be the year. If the team makes the second round, they'll have somewhere between 4 and 7 home games, and could provide a lot of entertainment.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it's better than nothing, but I still marvel sometimes at how the US treats every other country as if they live in an isolated wasteland.
    The tone of the article is so condescending and I don't even think he realizes it

7. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I also like the last line, "And college hoops can thank the long, lowly Raptors, of all teams, for the inspiration."

lol.

9. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say they should be crediting the players rather than the "lowly" franchise.. in particular Vince Carter. Hardcore fans like ourselves know better, but much in the same way that Wayne Gretzky transformed the landscape of hockey in Los Angeles and USA, Vince Carter transformed the popularity of basketball in Toronto and Canada. When you're 4 or 5 years old, you're relatively oblivious to the ugly side of Vince's time with the Raptors. You didn't read all the articles and when you went to games and he got hurt (again), you were upset and wondered why people were booing. Going further you can probably thank the powers who acquired Carter for us. If we had gone ahead with say Antawn Jamison, this team would never have taken off from a popularity standpoint.

Sure, having a local team helps, but it's not like the popularity of soccer has skyrocketed since Toronto got an MLS team. On the other hand the people who brought in Defoe, Bradley, etc from Europe are going to see more Canadians playing soccer 10-15 years from now. A decade from now people might be talking about those guys as inspirations for why they decided to take soccer more seriously.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Rookie RepTdot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i hope ignorant fans can now see the long term effect Vince Carter had to this city and basketball in Canada. All the kids from the GTA that were growing up idolizing him have now grown up and are invading the NCAA & NBA.

Raptors Republic Rookie gametime's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RepTdot wrote: View Post
    i hope ignorant fans can now see the long term effect Vince Carter had to this city and basketball in Canada. All the kids from the GTA that were growing up idolizing him have now grown up and are invading the NCAA & NBA.
    I wouldn't generalize people as "ignorant". Many fans FULLY understand the impact VC had on basketball in Canada. That's not the issue. The issue was with him 'quitting' on the Raptors organization (which in term looked like he quit on the city and fans).

13. Like mcHAPPY, CalgaryRapsFan, Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RepTdot wrote: View Post
    The other thing is, there's no way to tell how much of this was Vince himself, and how much was just having the Raptors franchise around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    I also like the last line, "And college hoops can thank the long, lowly Raptors, of all teams, for the inspiration."

lol.
    You can't argue with the truth.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait for this to really pay off in 2016 at the Olympics. I know we have to play our way in, but it should be a breeze with a roster composed entirely of NBA players. Canada will quickly become the #2 team in international basketball. The talent is undeniable. Canada isn't just producing more players, it's producing some of the best players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Can't wait for this to really pay off in 2016 at the Olympics. I know we have to play our way in, but it should be a breeze with a roster composed entirely of NBA players. Canada will quickly become the #2 team in international basketball. The talent is undeniable. Canada isn't just producing more players, it's producing some of the best players.
    That might be a little optimistic.

But I like it!
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic All-Star Raptorsnz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was disappointed after reading the article title, I thought it'd be about the Raptors having 10x the amount of scouts at the NCAA tournament games than other teams or something.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
    That might be a little optimistic.

But I like it!
    I know it sounds optimistic, but what other country can field a 12 man roster of all NBA players? Canada will be easily able to do that in summer 2016. In fact, Canada will have to turn down some NBA players. That's how competitive team Canada will become. I envision a rivalry with the USA similar to Olympic Hockey, except with the USA having the advantage.

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Would be highly surprised if they came together for a medal run in 2016 but I could see a very strong team by 2020.

Thread Information