View Poll Results: Do you think Demar DeRozan is a top SG in the NBA

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 21.88%
  • No

    7 21.88%
  • Yes, but Top 3

    12 37.50%
  • No but he will be in a couple of years

    4 12.50%
  • No and he never will be

    2 6.25%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: Polls

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kitchener "Sketchener"
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    What about:
    Ginobli
    Crawford
    Ellis
    Thompson
    Korver (he's been that good)
    Matthews
    Waiters

    Now not all of these players are above DD...but I would definitely say Manu, Korver and Ellis, as well as Harden and Stephenson are all in front of DD.

    Personally I think Waiters is better than DD, as well as Matthews and Thompson, but those are harder to argue. Crawford has been really, really good this season as well, but can be a little hot-or-cold and I don't know where to place him. On any given night though he can be the best SG in the league (scoring wise).
    Wtf dude
    Ginobli is past his prime
    Crawford is just an amazing offensive player but not someone I would want to rely on any given night
    Ellis and Thompson are good but can't lift a team on their own like derozN has
    Korvers a fucking bench player on a winning team
    Mathews is good but is like a fifth option on Portland
    Waiters is shit. He shouldn't even be up there

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,174
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote SitnonDfence wrote: View Post
    My .02
    Ginobli's ppg should go up with more PT, probably with a drop in FG% though. Either way I like what he brings to the court more than DD, just that Pop plays him less since he is old and waiting for the playoffs. Also the way the Spurs have their offense designed is to not have any one player take a lot of shots...with DD here he is taking way to many shots per game due to coaches decision, which leads to the higher PPG...but not necessarily the better player

    I really didn't know where to place Crawford due to his hot or not play...his raw shooting % is lower, but his eFG% and TS% are better due to his ability to shoot the three much better. Like I said, one night he can be the best scoring guard in the league, and the next he can be a meh SG...

    Ellis has been really good this year. He pretty much does everything that DD does, but better on the offensive end. Don't know how one could argue that DD is better than Ellis at this point.

    Korver is perceived as a one trick guy...but is a surprisingly average defender and a decent passer. Also that one trick thing that he does...he is very good at. Ray Allen was a top SG in the league as a "one trick pony" and I think they are very similar at this point.

    Matthews and Thompson I do agree need someone else to draw the D and don't think they would be effective as DD in DD's role, but in terms of how good at their roles they are, I can't dismiss them as being in the upper echelon of the SG debate.

    Waiter is not that big of a head case that people think he is. Right now it is tough to argue one way or the other vs DD due to the shambles that is the Cavs...I think in a different situation he would be quite the prized player.

    We also shouldn't dismiss Wade...who even though he has missed a lot, and has floated at times, is still the best SG in the league.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ANGERVILLE: Population 1
    Posts
    7,825
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So is this guy gonna keep my name? C'MON bro there can only be one

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    704
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Ginobli's ppg should go up with more PT, probably with a drop in FG% though. Either way I like what he brings to the court more than DD, just that Pop plays him less since he is old and waiting for the playoffs. Also the way the Spurs have their offense designed is to not have any one player take a lot of shots...with DD here he is taking way to many shots per game due to coaches decision, which leads to the higher PPG...but not necessarily the better player

    I really didn't know where to place Crawford due to his hot or not play...his raw shooting % is lower, but his eFG% and TS% are better due to his ability to shoot the three much better. Like I said, one night he can be the best scoring guard in the league, and the next he can be a meh SG...

    Ellis has been really good this year. He pretty much does everything that DD does, but better on the offensive end. Don't know how one could argue that DD is better than Ellis at this point.

    Korver is perceived as a one trick guy...but is a surprisingly average defender and a decent passer. Also that one trick thing that he does...he is very good at. Ray Allen was a top SG in the league as a "one trick pony" and I think they are very similar at this point.

    Matthews and Thompson I do agree need someone else to draw the D and don't think they would be effective as DD in DD's role, but in terms of how good at their roles they are, I can't dismiss them as being in the upper echelon of the SG debate.

    Waiter is not that big of a head case that people think he is. Right now it is tough to argue one way or the other vs DD due to the shambles that is the Cavs...I think in a different situation he would be quite the prized player.

    We also shouldn't dismiss Wade...who even though he has missed a lot, and has floated at times, is still the best SG in the league.
    LOL ....None of the players you mention are even first options on their teams.....You really need to learn the difference between a 4th option and a 1st option (hint...its a lot easier when your not facing the other teams best defender). For the record, I like all those players but Demar was recognized by the coaches and received an all-star appearance this year...... so i think i'll agree with the coaches on this one.

    I agree with the other posters

    Harden then Demar....not really interested in debating about the rest. If Demar played with Nowitski or Duncan or Howard or Aldridge or Millsap or Curry or Lillard or Parker, etc..... but alas it's not the case. I must say he's doing pretty darn good for the players he's currently playing with.
    Last edited by special1; Fri Mar 28th, 2014 at 04:29 PM.

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,960
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote special1 wrote: View Post
    LOL ....None of the players you mention are even first options on there teams.....You really need to learn the difference between a 4th option and a 1st option (hint...its a lot easier when your not facing the other teams best defender) For the record, I like all those players but Demar was recognized by the coaches and received an all-star appearance this year...... so i think i'll agree with the coaches on this one.

    I agree with the other posters

    Harden then Demar....not really interested in debating about the rest. If Demar played with Nowitski or Howard or Aldridge or Millsap or Curry or Lillard, etc..... but alas it's not the case. I must say he's doing pretty darn good for the players he's currently playing with.
    The way Ellis is playing this year, I'd rank him second. Also Wade has to be in the discussion somewhere even though he's missed a bunch of games.

    I'd rank DD as a top 5 guard, but not as #2

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,049
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MACK11 wrote: View Post
    So is this guy gonna keep my name? C'MON bro there can only be one
    You gotta fight for your rights.

    In all fairness you do have seniority.

    I think there should be a new poll .... Can a nick be hijacked...yes or no.

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    704
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    The way Ellis is playing this year, I'd rank him second. Also Wade has to be in the discussion somewhere even though he's missed a bunch of games.

    I'd rank DD as a top 5 guard, but not as #2
    So you don't think if DD had Nowitzki he would have an easier time? You don't think if Demar played with James and Bosh he wouldn't have an easier time?? But but....nah forget it.

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,960
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    You gotta fight for your rights.

    In all fairness you do have seniority.

    I think there should be a new poll .... Can a nick be hijacked...yes or no.
    Didn't he just change his name though?

    Can't remember what it used to be anymore though...

    This is a pretty hilarious situation. I'm not convinced the hijacking was intentional.

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,960
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote special1 wrote: View Post
    So you don't think if DD had Nowitzki he would have an easier time? You don't think if Demar played with James and Bosh he wouldn't have an easier time?? But but....nah forget it.
    I'm sure Demar would have a much easier time in either of those situations. I don't know that he'd have as easy a time as Ellis or Wade though.

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ANGERVILLE: Population 1
    Posts
    7,825
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    Didn't he just change his name though?

    Can't remember what it used to be anymore though...

    This is a pretty hilarious situation. I'm not convinced the highjacking was intentional.
    Never in my wildest dreams I would have thought I could be robbed on the internet of my name looool
    He's 2 years away from being 2 years away, but his wingspan is already here .

  11. Like chch166, stooley liked this post
  12. #31
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    2,981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Top 5 for sure.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  13. #32
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Harden and Wade top 2. Everyone else is in a lower tier which has some 10 good starter types. DeRozan, Afflalo, Kevin Martin, Stephenson, Hayward, Jimmy Butler, Monta.
    If people rank DeRozan at no.3, I think that's fair enough, if they have him outside top 5, also fair enough. Separation between no.3 and no.6 is minimal.

    I wouldn't have Beal or Waiters in that second tier yet, they may be talented but they haven't delivered often enough.

    Redick and Matthews are interesting cases. I don't think they could ever become all stars like DeMar did and like I think Monta, Hayward etc could become under right circumstances. So I don't have them here. But they are superb role players who can shoot and do a little bit of everything else, and I could see some contenders picking them over DeMar or Monta.

    Avery Bradley is another SG I don't have there but he might also have a case. An elite defender who actually has to be guarded now because he has developed a very nice midrange pull up jumpshot. He's a black hole so I don't list him there. If he passed at a reasonable rate for a guard, he would absolutely be there, and he might still deserve to be there anyway.

  14. #33
    Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    704
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    I'm sure Demar would have a much easier time in either of those situations. I don't know that he'd have as easy a time as Ellis or Wade though.
    Well he certainly wouldn't have an easier time than Wade since Wade seems to sit out every other game...lol. But further to your point.....exactly....you don't know. We agree that he would have a much easier time though right?

  15. #34
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote special1 wrote: View Post
    LOL ....None of the players you mention are even first options on their teams.....You really need to learn the difference between a 4th option and a 1st option (hint...its a lot easier when your not facing the other teams best defender). For the record, I like all those players but Demar was recognized by the coaches and received an all-star appearance this year...... so i think i'll agree with the coaches on this one.

    I agree with the other posters

    Harden then Demar....not really interested in debating about the rest. If Demar played with Nowitski or Duncan or Howard or Aldridge or Millsap or Curry or Lillard or Parker, etc..... but alas it's not the case. I must say he's doing pretty darn good for the players he's currently playing with.
    As somewhat of a Lowry fan, I find this shameful. Lowry is as good as half of these or better in a few cases.

  16. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
  17. #35
    Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    704
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    As somewhat of a Lowry fan, I find this shameful. Lowry is as good as half of these or better in a few cases.
    THIS YEAR....contract year....I hope he keeps it up. BUT i'm not ready to anoint him just yet. The guys i mentioned are pretty talented and there's no question regarding whether or not they can keep it up (well Millsap) but the others are either multiple all-stars or will be all-stars for years to come. Agreed?

  18. #36
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote special1 wrote: View Post
    THIS YEAR....contract year....I hope he keeps it up. BUT i'm not ready to anoint him just yet. The guys i mentioned are pretty talented and there's no question regarding whether or not they can keep it up (well Millsap) but the others are either multiple all-stars or will be all-stars for years to come. Agreed?
    Sure, I have these worries too. But you were talking about the quality of players that DeMar is playing with right now. You even used the word "currently." Lowry may not be at this level next year, but currently he's a bad ass motherfucker.

  19. Like jacobdr4, JimiCliff, OldSkoolCool liked this post
  20. #37
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,559
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A healthy Wade is much better than DeMar. I'd say he's third best.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  21. #38
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kitchener "Sketchener"
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    The way Ellis is playing this year, I'd rank him second. Also Wade has to be in the discussion somewhere even though he's missed a bunch of games.

    I'd rank DD as a top 5 guard, but not as #2
    Put it this way...would you trade demar for korver or waiters straight up

    I don't understand why demar is hated on this site so much. Dudes actually pretty fucking good

  22. #39
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    the people discounting Ellis obviously have not seen the mavs this year. he's killing it. his handle is ten times better than demar's, he is smarter, and has been making all of his shots. check out the shot chart exactly half way down this article: http://grantland.com/features/dallas...nowitzki-2014/

    the fact that Ginobili and D-Wade are past their prime does not mean DD has them beat. tim duncan is past his prime but does that mean JV is better than him? Deron Williams is past his prime, but does that mean Julyan Stone is better than him? of course not. that let's not confuse the question with "who would you rather on your team for the next five years". these two vets have DD beat, although next year i expect that to change.

    stevenson is a two way player who leads his team in rebounds & assists. he shoots 50% from the floor, 35% from distance compared to DD's 43% and 30%. to me, DD is probably tied for 6th in the league with Arron Afflalo (a 43% 3-point shooter and all-around hard worker and team player), but ahead of all the other jokers mentioned who don't play defence.

    i mean to be second in the league at a position, you have to be amazing, don't you? demar does not possess a single exceptional skill: shooting, rebounding, passing, defending, creating a shot. Demar shoots a lot of fade-away jumpers, and gets to the line a lot.

  23. #40
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,174
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    Put it this way...would you trade demar for korver or waiters straight up

    I don't understand why demar is hated on this site so much. Dudes actually pretty fucking good
    I would prefer to have either Korver or Waiters over DD as a straight replacement.

    However DD has a higher league value so I would not trade straight up

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •