Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Unit upgrade

Raptors Republic Rookie chch166's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2nd Unit upgrade

Any ideas on how to get a better bench? I though of Butler or Aminu at SF and Okafor for Center. Butler will help Ross become better and help with development. Okafor will also speed up Jonas's development

Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking carter over butler. And Chris walker in the second round should put us at that next level

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

1) Sign VC for his farewell tour (2016 all star game & retirement ceremony. *Also to potentially lure KD)

2) Sign a good backup center.

Okafor is perfect but what will he cost and can he stay healthy?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic Rookie chch166's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kaman would also be a good back up center. But I'm fine with VC too coming back to Toronto.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

VC and Chris Kaman
    Signing Lowry will make GV leave I think so we should draft a PG

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Abbas wrote: View Post
    VC and Chris Kaman
    Signing Lowry will make GV leave I think so we should draft a PG

Why would GV want to leave with Lowry re-signing? He likes his current role, gets along with Lowry, and loves the city.

I think VC & Kaman would be good additions to the bench, honestly I'd rather have a more defensive center but I wouldn't complain if we ended up with Kaman.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

VC would definitely be a much better choice than Butler imo..nothing to do with "bringing him back home" or w/e. I can see this happening actually.

Definitely not Kaman though, he is not a good defensive player and that's what the raptors need in a back up big. Someone with size, mobility and defense. Not that easy to find I guess.
    Last edited by BigCamB; Fri Mar 28th, 2014 at 11:45 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raps76 wrote: View Post
    Why would GV want to leave with Lowry re-signing? He likes his current role, gets along with Lowry, and loves the city.
    GV wants to start.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote webfeat wrote: View Post
    GV wants to start.
    He's not starting calibre anymore.

He plays fine off the bench, I don't see him leaving. Especially with the connection he has with MU.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Give Landry Fields some minutes!! he will produce.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Give Landry Fields some minutes!! he will produce.
    I honestly think he should get John Salmons's minutes

12. Like chch166 liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep Salmon looks old and tired, give him rest by letting fresh legged Fields get his minutes.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Or at least a portion. It's getting kind of ridiculous how he rarely ever gets burn anymore.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fields or Novak should play instead of Salmons, i guess Casey will want to utilize one of Fields or Novak in the remainder games or when playoff comes along we get to see a better Fields or Novak.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

More Fields immediately upgrades the bench, especially if we are talking about next year, when he will have another full off-season to work on repairing his shot.

I have finally gotten past my distaste for Carter and can see that he would be a big help if he is available for a reasonable salary. He may be willing to come for the victory lap blah blah blah, but would obviously add scoring punch and half decent defence.

With GV, Patterson, Fields and Carter you want a defencive center, because you have scoring. So any rim protector who is available meets the bill.

17. Like stooley liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    More Fields immediately upgrades the bench, especially if we are talking about next year, when he will have another full off-season to work on repairing his shot.

I have finally gotten past my distaste for Carter and can see that he would be a big help if he is available for a reasonable salary. He may be willing to come for the victory lap blah blah blah, but would obviously add scoring punch and half decent defence.

With GV, Patterson, Fields and Carter you want a defencive center, because you have scoring. So any rim protector who is available meets the bill.

i agree with all this.

to add - no kaman please. i don't want him mentoring JV. I prefer a guy like Chuck Hayes, who had to work his ass off and learn all the nuances of the game to overcome his physical limitations. As opposed to Kaman who hasn't ever lived up to his potential because of what seems like an unwillingness to really give his all.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    i agree with all this.

to add - no kaman please. i don't want him mentoring JV. I prefer a guy like Chuck Hayes, who had to work his ass off and learn all the nuances of the game to overcome his physical limitations. As opposed to Kaman who hasn't ever lived up to his potential because of what seems like an unwillingness to really give his all.
    Yeah. Kaman is not someone I want on this team at all. Him mentoring JV? More likely JV would have to mentor him.

Raptors Republic Starter bryan colangelo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Vince would be a solid veteran upgrade over Salmons. If we resign Lowry, we should serious look for a young point guard we can groom into a starter as Lowry exits his prime. GV is okay, but he is what he is, he can't defend at this level and will always be a liability.

21. Like chch166 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Randy Foye and Nik Stauskas
    #BringBackUzoh

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, the Raptors probably won't have a lot of flexibility this summer, which limits our options for upgrading the bench.

I could definitely see VCs return, and agree that he'd provide the veteran leadership and defense you look for off the bench while still contributing in other ways.

Ultimately, it'll be masai's draft day decisions that'll determine whether or not our bench meets or exceeds the level of production wr came to expect earlier in this season. The fact that there aren't any egregious deficiencies in our starting 5 probably plays in our favor, as Masai can thus focus on drafting the best player available who exhibits the kinds of qualities that seem to be associated with late draft gems like the Manimal, Chandler Parsons, Draymond Green, Jae Crowder, Sacre orformer Raptor and bearded wonder Quincy Acy.

These are generally low profile players with high basketball IQs, relentless motors, offensive and defensive fundamentals but generally lack explosive athleticism or offensive flare, or don't play a central role or for a major college program or in a big time conference. Given the chances of finding elite talent late in the first or in the second round, it definitely seems like you're better off looking for players who have lower ceilings and will probably never make an allstar team or win the 6th man award, but still have the kinds of skills that translate into a quality rotation player in the NBA.

Personally, I'd like to see the Raptors target:
    First Round
    KJ MacDaniels or Hollis-Jefferson at sf, then Montrezl Harrell or Adriane Payne at pf
    Second Round Sac Pick
    Deonte Burton or Shabazz Napier at pg, Bogdan Bogdanovich at sg/sf, or Chris Walker at pf
    Second Round OKC Pick
    Dwight Powell (Cdn) at pf or AJ Hammonds at C

24. Like Puffer liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information