Toronto Sports Radio is Killing me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Sports Radio is Killing me!

Drove into work today, thinking about the prospects of the raps clinching a playoff spot. Hoped to hear something about it on the radio. It wasn't just that both sports stations led off with hockey...they both led off with the same topic to discuss for the foreseeable future. What will the Toronto sports section lead with on monday? Leafs still slumping or the resurgent Leafs? Bless TSN..they actually offered a third option (the Raps clinching the playoffs) but to give you a sense of the seriousness of that, they also included a fourth option (Rob Ford doing something stupid). It's not just the Raps; Monday is also opening day of the Jays season...that may be mentioned in the sports section. Anyways, whether expected or not, the first few callers on TSN went for option 3 (Raps making the playoffs). When will they realize that Toronto is full of basketball fans?
    To make things worse, I go to the game, exciting game, can't wait to hear about it on the drive home...and both stations are covering the postgame of another Leaf loss. I scan thinking maybe there's another channel, find 640...more leafs post game. 3 stations! Is my mistake still listening to radio? Is there a solution out there?

Sportsnet ruined Fan 590.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Although two toronto teams in the playoffs would be nice, I kinda want the leafs not to make cuz they steal all the spotlight. We could be in the finals and they would still be talking about what the leafs will do in the offseason instead.

Comment

Take your listening talents to south beach?.......
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

oh my, another "toronto media doesnt cover the raps" thread.

I listen to the fan in the morning, and on the way home all the time, they ALWAYS talk hoops.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post

I listen to the fan in the morning, and on the way home all the time, they ALWAYS talk hoops.
            Post game Rap not consistent this year without Paul Jones and Eric Smith.

Comment

Fuck the leafs! Their GM is incompetent who never made any moves to upgrade that horrendous D. Their coach treats last year's number 1 goalie who pretty much saved their asses the entire season and playoffs like shit, much much much worse than how Casey treats Landry Fields/Jonas/Ross, but doesn't call out the D, and he's supposed to be a defensive coach. Not to mention, their tickets are so so so so expensive! They're the Chicago Cubs or the New York Knicks of the NHL - big market teams who always underperform.

Will the CN Tower be lit Red for the Raptors? Are the playoff games gonna be shown at Maple Leaf Gardens?

Comment

I just read on twitter that there was a "Let's go Raptors" chant at the Leafs game today, dnno if that's true or not but sounds pretty cool :P

Comment

BigCamB wrote: View Post
                  I just read on twitter that there was a "Let's go Raptors" chant at the Leafs game today, dnno if that's true or not but sounds pretty cool :P
                  That's awesome. Would love some confirmation

Comment

I think its sad how much some of you hate on the leafs because your basketball team doesnt get the same coverage.

You all know how it works, and why it is, so why do you complain so much.

Comment

I listen to WGR 550 this time of year for March Madness coverage.

Comment

I might have stumbled on something. My new idea (although it's only once a week) is to play the weekly "hoops" show via my phone. While listening to last week's show, they sort of addressed this issue. Eric smith said that in the background there has been a movement to create a "raptors radio network" but that it hasn't gained much traction as the team hasn't been good. Hadn't really heard anything like this before.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post

I dunno man, I do the same on my drive into work/outta work. Basically 8:20-9 am everyday, and I'd say out of those 10 segments per week, I might hear about the Raps 2 or 3 times. Seems to be a lil more on the drive home, with either Doug Smith or Butch Carter talking bball maybe 4-5 times out of 10.

As much as I want the Leafs in the playoffs for the fans' sake, It'll be nice to hear Raps talk dominate for a few weeks(provided Jays don't kill it one way or the other to begin the season).

I miss Swirsky on the afternoon show, and then E Smith... but I do love Tim & Sid, so I can't complain too much.

Comment

T&S cover the raps evenly.... and I listen at like 630.... those guys love them some raps too.

I guess its hit and miss.... but hey, playoffs...the will be the Toronto media darlings.... and guys here will be pissy because the coverage wont be good enough for them....

its a no win when youre dealing with fanatics

Comment

RaptorsForever wrote: View Post
                              Although two toronto teams in the playoffs would be nice, I kinda want the leafs not to make cuz they steal all the spotlight. We could be in the finals and they would still be talking about what the leafs will do in the offseason instead.
                              I agree with this. I like the Leafs an all and was actually a die-hard fan back in the day (before the Raps came). But now im sick of living in such a hockey crazy city. I hate when you're looking for a Raps game or an important NBA game not involving the Raps but only seeing TSN etc.. only showing f*(&*-# OHL games! OHL!!!?!? you gotta be f*#^g kidding me.

The Raps got a great fan base but it seems minuscule compared to the NHL/OHL fans here. I won't even talk about the area's outside of the GTA -they probably air PeeWee hockey over Raptor games.

Comment

Working...
                              X