No announcement yet.

Raptors pre-playoff musings about Rounds 1 & 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not really about how they matchup with Miami.. Actually Miami's roster is pretty thin. Get Anderson in foul trouble and they should be screwed (Oden can only give you like 5 minutes, and JV should be able to put up a monster 20/20 game), plus Wade may only be good for 2 or 3 out of the 7 games... the problem is that the Refs (and therefore the league) love the Heat. Wade and Lebron could easily get Lowry/DD/Ross in foul trouble. A quick foul here and there also totally negates any run the Raptors make or try to sustain and they would always be facing an up hill climb.

Indiana will get some calls but not like Miami would get against Toronto.

Comment

• I guess the most annoying thing about all of this is that we have to base our preferences almost entirely on how the refs will treat us.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        It's not really about how they matchup with Miami.. Actually Miami's roster is pretty thin. Get Anderson in foul trouble and they should be screwed (Oden can only give you like 5 minutes, and JV should be able to put up a monster 20/20 game), plus Wade may only be good for 2 or 3 out of the 7 games... the problem is that the Refs (and therefore the league) love the Heat. Wade and Lebron could easily get Lowry/DD/Ross in foul trouble. A quick foul here and there also totally negates any run the Raptors make or try to sustain and they would always be facing an up hill climb.

Indiana will get some calls but not like Miami would get against Toronto.
        It doesn't matter who the Raps play against, they are going to have to figure out how to deal with the refs. As long as they realize the fouls will be heavily weighted, they can adjust their play. Or at least try to. Just part of the learnign process. After the first game they should have a good idea of what they need to do.

Comment

• Miami is officially the 2 seed. Looking highly likely that Washington has locked up the 6 seed. Only the 3 seed remains up in the air.

Comment

• Miami loss tonight...

Indiana with the number 1 seed...vs Atlanta. I hope that ATL wins the series...been a while since we have had any major upsets like that in the playoffs.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              Despite the potential impact of the refs, I still think the Raptors could beat Brooklyn in a 7-game series. I'd much rather finish 4th to get the preferred 2nd round matchup against Indy, while also moving up 1 spot in the draft.
              No way we beat Brooklyn. But no way we beat Miami so I understand your logic. We need Charlotte to upset Miami.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                Miami loss tonight...

Indiana with the number 1 seed...vs Atlanta. I hope that ATL wins the series...been a while since we have had any major upsets like that in the playoffs.
                Good point. I had not considered.

Comment

• Ya NBA playoffs are usually a bit predictable. However I think this year there could be some really big upsets? Maybe??

Chicago could beat anyone, yet The Nets are dangerous.

Wash could beat us, we could beat them.

Charlotte I think is going to get the short stick against Miami.

Indiana is a hot mess.

Then look at the West....OKC and SAS will probably win their series. The other two series however could go either way...

So excited

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                    Miami loss tonight...

I hope Indiana gets their shit back together so there's some half decent basketball in the East's later rounds.

Comment

• This thread should be renamed to "Could we beat the Pacers if they get to round 3?"

That's gonna be what happens after we wipe the floor with Miami.
                      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Regardless of how well Indiana are playing I always kinda liked the matchup for the Raptors.
                        Raptors have a huge advantage at the PG position, and I fully expect Lowry to live up to his bulldog nickname and will the raptors to being a tough out against anyone.
                        I have full confidence that JV can handle Hibbert, where as against Miami I don't think Casey would trust him against the smaller heat, like Woody Harrelson stated above.
                        Ross has shut down George before, and George also does a great job of shutting himself down as well, although come playoffs I expect him to get a ton of calls.
                        Our bench is better IMO.

But yeh, dnno why I'm speculating on this matchup, first round is all that matters for me! Wizards are the ideal matchup!!

Comment

• Peak Pacers were crazy good across that whole roster. Their bench can be very good. I remember checking numbers at one point when they were still winning, and their bench unit had better defensive numbers than any team in the league. It was like 1. Pacers starters. *big gap* 2. Pacers bench. *big gap* 3. Bulls, Bobcats, etc.

I think they are the most talented team in the East but also mentally fragile. I could see a Pacers-Raptors matchup going anywhere from the Raptors getting swept in 4 blowouts to the Pacers collapsing and losing. To me this is really all about the Pacers themselves, not how the Raptors match up. I'd prefer the Raptors to face them rather than the Heat because of the Pacers' inconsistency and current chemistry level. But I accept the risk that it could easily backfire and become an embarrassment. The Pacers' best is much better than the Raptors' best.

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                            Peak Pacers were crazy good across that whole roster. Their bench can be very good. I remember checking numbers at one point when they were still winning, and their bench unit had better defensive numbers than any team in the league. It was like 1. Pacers starters. *big gap* 2. Pacers bench. *big gap* 3. Bulls, Bobcats, etc.

I think they are the most talented team in the East but also mentally fragile. I could see a Pacers-Raptors matchup going anywhere from the Raptors getting swept in 4 blowouts to the Pacers collapsing and losing. To me this is really all about the Pacers themselves, not how the Raptors match up. I'd prefer the Raptors to face them rather than the Heat because of the Pacers' inconsistency and current chemistry level. But I accept the risk that it could easily backfire and become an embarrassment. The Pacers' best is much better than the Raptors' best.
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• BigCamB wrote: View Post
                              Regardless of how well Indiana are playing I always kinda liked the matchup for the Raptors.
                              Raptors have a huge advantage at the PG position, and I fully expect Lowry to live up to his bulldog nickname and will the raptors to being a tough out against anyone.
                              I have full confidence that JV can handle Hibbert, where as against Miami I don't think Casey would trust him against the smaller heat, like Woody Harrelson stated above.
                              Ross has shut down George before, and George also does a great job of shutting himself down as well, although come playoffs I expect him to get a ton of calls.
                              Our bench is better IMO.

But yeh, dnno why I'm speculating on this matchup, first round is all that matters for me! Wizards are the ideal matchup!!
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Well it will take a Raptors loss in NY and a Bulls win in Charlotte now for this to potentially happen. The dream road of Washington and then Indiana is over now so it's take on the deadly Nets and then shaky Pacers or take on the shaky Wizards and the deadly Heat.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X