Everything Patrick Patterson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    Today the idea of trading DD at the deadline was brought in.

The idea of trading PP ala Vasquez at the draft for picks has been too, but seems pretty unlikely.

Would trying to trade him now for an expiring contract be something we could think about?

He has played pretty well the last couple weeks and trading him would save us some money this summer while giving us the chance to restart our PF position.

Also maybe a team in need of a stretch 4 could bite.

Thoughts?
    That's something you wouldn't want to do until the draft even if you did want to do it. Doing that midseason just weakens our depth for minimal return.

Even on draft night it wouldn't make much sense unless Masai is not planning to try to re-sign DeRozan as we'd have very little cap space even with that deal.

Comment

• But if Masai finds a trade like PP + one of our multiple draft picks for usueful expirings... Wouldn't you do it?

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
        But if Masai finds a trade like PP + one of our multiple draft picks for usueful expirings... Wouldn't you do it?
        No. Wouldn't clear enough cap space, and PPat is too useful to our current team moving towards the playoffs. Why screw up a bench that's looking as good as any in the league just for cap space?
        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
          No. Wouldn't clear enough cap space, and PPat is too useful to our current team moving towards the playoffs. Why screw up a bench that's looking as good as any in the league just for cap space?
          Im sorry I cant watch the games anymore since TSN decided so

Comment

• For any thought of clearing cap space, consider that if we let DD walk, we need to clear about 10M for the cap space to be useful in finding a replacement. If we intend to keep him, we have to clear 15-25M to have enough to be useful.

So, no, trading PP for expirings accomplishes nothing really. Besides throwing away whatever pick you send along for the ride.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• If I'm trading 2Pat its for a guy like Aaron Gordon (who I don't think is available). Young guy with upside and on a small contract (in this case rookie scale). But since he's not available the best option is to just keep him for another year.

He's been great in that bench mob. Breaking it up can just hurt our chances to get to that elusive 2nd round.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                If I'm trading 2Pat its for a guy like Aaron Gordon (who I don't think is available). Young guy with upside and on a small contract (in this case rookie scale). But since he's not available the best option is to just keep him for another year.

He's been great in that bench mob. Breaking it up can just hurt our chances to get to that elusive 2nd round.
                Aaron Gordon could be available but you're not getting him for 2Pat+Parts. Orlando I would think still values him pretty highly considering he was drafted 4th just two years ago.

I agree though, would love to get Aaron Gordon. He has star potential imho.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                  Aaron Gordon could be available but you're not getting him for 2Pat+Parts. Orlando I would think still values him pretty highly considering he was drafted 4th just two years ago.

I agree though, would love to get Aaron Gordon. He has star potential imho.
                  Yeah they're starting him now. It would take at minimum the Knicks pick and probably another first or two. Hezonja would likely be the more available guy but is less of a fit.

Comment

• Lot of debate about Scola-Patterson so I'm bumping this.

The one thing I always rant about is that the regular season is where you get to prepare for the postseason. Pop is known for using the middle of the season to experiment and tinker and try things out, to see how guys fare in various roles and to give them meaningful reps.

I have a feeling we are going to get smacked at the 4 in the playoffs, and Casey's going to pivot to Patterson, and Patterson won't have had any kind of meaningful opportunity to build chemistry with the starters.

It's like when we fail to give Jonas touches in the fourth quarter, then when nothing's working out in the playoffs we ask him to go get us buckets. It's just poor planning.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                      Lot of debate about Scola-Patterson so I'm bumping this.

The one thing I always rant about is that the regular season is where you get to prepare for the postseason. Pop is known for using the middle of the season to experiment and tinker and try things out, to see how guys fare in various roles and to give them meaningful reps.

I have a feeling we are going to get smacked at the 4 in the playoffs, and Casey's going to pivot to Patterson, and Patterson won't have had any kind of meaningful opportunity to build chemistry with the starters.

It's like when we fail to give Jonas touches in the fourth quarter, then when nothing's working out in the playoffs we ask him to go get us buckets. It's just poor planning.
                      Scola is playing 17 min/G and 2pat is playing 27 min/g in February. 2pat is consistently closing out games. 2pat has great chemistry with KL/DD/JV because his been playing with them for almost 3 years now.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        Scola is playing 17 min/G and 2pat is playing 27 min/g in February. 2pat is consistently closing out games. 2pat has great chemistry with KL/DD/JV because his been playing with them for almost 3 years now.
                        This is a very well reasoned post and a great argument for starting Patterson.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          Actually it's case to keep him off the bench cause that's when his has the most success in his career.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            I feel like Patterson is desperately needed on the bench line up though, especially is Scola were to play like he is now. It's like Ginobili would work great with the Spurs starters but he's more valuable as a 6th man who finishes games, I feel Patterson is like that now.

Comment

• Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
                              I feel like Patterson is desperately needed on the bench line up though, especially is Scola were to play like he is now. It's like Ginobili would work great with the Spurs starters but he's more valuable as a 6th man who finishes games, I feel Patterson is like that now.
                              I'm the opposite. Patterson isn't a 6th man, he is a floor spacer who only catches and shoots 3 pointers and plays some defense, perfect for the starting lineup don't you think? Scola is the craftier post player/scorer, he'll probably have a better time against opposing bench players.

Comment

• Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
                                It's true, Patterson makes the bench players play better.

But his impact on the starters is MUCH bigger. And I'd rather the bench (which plays a minority of the game, and in a bunch of variations including with some of the starters) struggles than the starters, who play for long stretches together.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X