Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 194

Thread: Ideal Roster For Next Season? Vince Carter Involved?

  1. #1
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Ideal Roster For Next Season? Vince Carter Involved?

    Haven't started one of these in awhile..

    Anyways, let's think way ahead of ourselves here, and pretend we are Masai Ujiri. Let's think next season: 20th anniversary, season before 2016 All-Star Weekend, possibly an improving play-off team INTO a contender(?).

    My question to you is, what is your ideal roster for next season? And why?

    MINE:

    Long post here:

    PG: Lowry, Vasquez, De Colo, Buycks, Stone
    SG: DeRozan, Salmons
    SF: Ross, Fields, Novak
    PF: Amir, PP, Hansbrough
    C: JV, Hayes

    I'd like to see THIS next season:

    PG: Lowry, Vasquez, De Colo
    SG: DeRozan, Vince Carter
    SF: Ross, Novak, Fields, (possibly the 1st round pick)
    PF: Johnson, PP, Hansbrough (Good quality of 4's, good rotations)
    C: JV, Hayes (keep as a veteran big), (possibly the 1st round pick)

    The situation with Fields is funny to me though, I'd definitely like to see him traded because Casey's leaving his skillset to waste, he's a good player, which could net us a solid return, despite low trade value (expiring next season I believe, too). Otherwise, no problem with him staying.

    I'd also like to see the 1st round pick go to a small forward, for there are a TON of prospects at that position, and the centre behind JV is a need for upgrade.

    Reason I didn't make very many changes is considering the team still is a little tight with cap, however the team's current core is play-off material. With that being said, it still lacks a star. What I want from this roster, is a bit more scoring/veteran play off the bench with Vince Carter (and the argument for him to come back is dissected HERE).

    http://www.raptorscage.ca/report-rap...g-back-carter/

    Along with production and veteran-ship from the bench, I've obviously acknowledged the 1st round pick, and I would like to see that go to a small-forward or centre. Ross has gotten inconsistent help from Salmons, Fields - no playing time - and Novak, who is a very short-stinted option.

    Accoriding to Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2014/), we are pinned taking SF Jerami Grant, with guys like SF T.J. Warren, SF Kyle Anderson, SF Rodney Hood within our reach. Personally, thinking realistically and hopefully, a guy like Willie Cauley-Stein is someone of interest to me.

    What is your guys' realistic, but ideal roster for next season?

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    945
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ideal roster

    PG - Lowry, de Colo
    SG - DeRozan, Ross, Carter
    SF - Harrison Barnes,Fields, Novak
    PF - Amir,PPat, Ed Davis
    C - Val,Hayes



    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    945
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Trade #20 pick for Barnes,Sign RFA Ed Davis from Memphis, Sign FA Carter as 6th man use TRoss @ SG start Barnes @ SF use Ed Davis as the first big off the bench and PPat as stretch 4 in rotation. Use Fields,Novak and Hayes per situation and de Colo as PG with VC handling the ball with Ross developing as swingman

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd rather take TH than ED, and I like ED. TH brings intangibles that ED just won't bring.

    I don't think we're getting Barnes for the #20 pick. Anything short of a lottery pick, and I don't think you could get him.

    We NEED a big behind JV. You want to see Mr Hayes playing backup big minutes all season? Dear lord...we're going to get torched, consistently.

  5. Like Mapko liked this post
  6. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter YoungGunRaptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    883
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah, Hayes can be our 15th man, but there is no reason he should be our backup C next year. We need to bring in someone, and in my opinion, that should be Jordan Hill.
    “You can sink and drown, or you can float, and we out here like Michael Phelps."


    Demar Derozan

  7. #6
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I pray Ujiri resigns VC, I think a lot of people would lose their shit when he starts dropping baskets! He'd be a great mentor too for DD & TR.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

  8. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    945
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Very few bigs available draft or FA under 10 mil. Tyler at 3.5 is good but he prob won't come back PPat took his spot. Jermaine ONeil might be an option. Barnes looks like he's going to be buried behind Iggy trade Jerami Grant for Barnes buys rthe Warriors a few years but committing to a RFA

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

  9. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kitchener "Sketchener"
    Posts
    1,362
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Very few bigs available draft or FA under 10 mil. Tyler at 3.5 is good but he prob won't come back PPat took his spot. Jermaine ONeil might be an option. Barnes looks like he's going to be buried behind Iggy trade Jerami Grant for Barnes buys rthe Warriors a few years but committing to a RFA

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    I don't think jermaine one all would want to come back, his first stint failed

  10. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    945
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If VC comes back then why not ONeil I'm not sure about his situation on GS but a six foul second rounder might be as good like the 7'2" Canadian Bachy... Or Joel Anthony but a draft pick would be cheaper than vet min.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

  11. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd like to see VC back, but I'd also like to see something like this:

    Valanciunas/Okafor/Hayes
    Johnson/Patterson/Hansbrough
    Ross/Fields/Novak
    DeRozan/De Colo/Rookie
    Lowry/Vasquez/Rookie

    The rookie SG would be more of a G/F than a combo guard. I'd like to see what Fields and De Colo would do as our primary backup wings. I think they could both play a significant role on a winning team and next year should be their chance to prove it.

  12. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lol every armchair GMs favorite type of thread...so happy!

    The majority of our team has good chem and I think there is a good base here that you keep together to grow the culture for the young kids you add. Lowry, Ross, Val, Amir and Pattman are my core.

    1) Use Salmon's buyout on Draft Day - Salmons + pick #59 to OKC for Perkins + Perry Jones III +/- future second. OKC does it for cap relief, we buy out Perkins and take a flier on PJ3 whom I think is on a good developmental track and could be a good player within a couple of seasons, play him off the bench at SF.

    2) Resign Lowry, resign Patterson, resign De Colo (1st year guaranteed, 2nd year team option), retain TH, let Vasquez walk

    3) Trade DD for a pick high enough to select Noah Vonleh. I think the dude has potential to be a very good PF in this league on both side of the ball. He comes off the bench for a while. As the years go along he earns the starting PF and the Amir/Pattman combo off the bench is a solid, sustainable bench unit for years with Vonleh/JV hopefully turns into a great frontcourt

    4) If there is a better coach available upgrade take it, I want to see an inside/out team, which Casey stifles

    Lineup next season:

    Lowry/De Colo/Stone
    Ross/????
    Fields/PJ3
    Amir/Patterson/TH
    JV/Vonleh/Hayes

    We are weak at the backup SG position, and the SF position has tons of question marks. With our 20th pick I would take wing who has ball handling and very good shooting potential (LaVine or Stauskas). I would love to grab Caris LaVert, but don't think he is gonna declare this season.

    Continue building around Lowry, Ross, Val, Amir and Pattman. Hopefully the pieces I propose of adding turn into the pieces that push us over the edge
    Last edited by OldSkoolCool; Sat Apr 5th, 2014 at 12:38 AM.

  13. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
  14. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    1,828
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Lol every armchair GMs favorite type of thread...so happy!

    The majority of our team has good chem and I think there is a good base here that you keep together to grow the culture for the young kids you add. Lowry, Ross, Val, Amir and Pattman are my core.

    1) Use Salmon's buyout on Draft Day - Salmons + pick #59 to OKC for Perkins + Perry Jones III +/- future second. OKC does it for cap relief, we buy out Perkins and take a flier on PJ3 whom I think is on a good developmental track and could be a good player within a couple of seasons, play him off the bench at SF.

    2) Resign Lowry, resign Patterson, resign De Colo (1st year guaranteed, 2nd year team option), retain TH, let Vasquez walk

    3) Trade DD for a pick high enough to select Noah Vonleh. I think the dude has potential to be a very good PF in this league on both side of the ball. He comes off the bench for a while. As the years go along he earns the starting PF and the Amir/Pattman combo off the bench is a solid, sustainable bench unit for years with Vonleh/JV hopefully turns into a great frontcourt

    4) If there is a better coach available upgrade take it, I want to see an inside/out team, which Casey stifles

    Lineup next season:

    Lowry/De Colo/Stone
    Ross/????
    Fields/PJ3
    Amir/Patterson/TH
    JV/Vonleh/Hayes

    We are weak at the backup SG position, and the SF position has tons of question marks. With our 20th pick I would take wing who has ball handling and very good shooting potential (LaVine or Stauskas). I would love to grab Caris LaVert, but don't think he is gonna declare this season.

    Continue building around Lowry, Ross, Val, Amir and Pattman. Hopefully the pieces I propose of adding turn into the pieces that push us over the edge
    Problem with this is that if Lowry goes down, we are screwed at pg.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

  15. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
  16. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter imaginelino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Explain your rationale in trading DD for a pick to grab Vonleh.

  17. #14
    Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ideal lineup based on free agent available and possible draft pick positions:

    pg: Lowry, Vasquez. Colo
    Sg: Derozan, KJ McDaniels (rookie)
    SF: Ross, Al Farouq Aminu
    PF: Amir , Patterson, Hansborugh
    C: Valanciunas , Okafor, Walter Tavares (rookie)
    Last edited by Hotshot; Sat Apr 5th, 2014 at 01:34 AM.

  18. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Also I highly doubt Vince Carter will come here after many fans still harboring ill feelings just so they could goat him every time he has a bad game, not to mentioned he did say that he wants to resign with Dallas in the offseason:


    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...tter-next-year

    Let sleeping dogs lie.

  19. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The challenge with the thread right now is that everything is going to depend on who shows they can play at a high level in the playoffs... not only the starters but the role-players. Overall, I'm okay with a low-turnover year, since summer of 2015 is where there will be the opportunity to make real changes.

    I'd be okay with either of Vasquez or DeColo as backup. Vasquez is the superior player but I wouldn't be prepared to offer him much more than his qualifying offer. Then grab an understudy in the draft who can spend a bit of time in the d-league.
    I do think there will be the opportunity to draft a solid SF with our draft pick, and to me that would be the best use of the pick right now. (Though I'm totally open to any superior player who falls to us.)
    Bigs rotation can stay the same, although a cheap, serviceable big body would really help. Nobody catches my eye on the UFA list for this year, but a big, solid college senior as a second-rounder could help (and also spend time in d-league when not needed).


    Lowry / [Vasquez or DeColo based on playoffs and contracts] / [Payton / Carson / Smith / Napier]
    DeRozan / Fields
    Ross / [Warren / Anderson / Grant / McDaniels / Hood] / Novak
    Amir / Patterson / Hansbrough
    JV / Hayes / [Hammons / Austin / Young / Bachynski]
    tank-agnostic

  20. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
    Problem with this is that if Lowry goes down, we are screwed at pg.
    Not really, I think De Colo can do just as good a job running the point as Vasquez (if not better). Our third string takes a hit but if the proposed rookie wing were able to take some of the ball handling duties from Stone I think we will be in an average situation.

    Quote imaginelino wrote: View Post
    Explain your rationale in trading DD for a pick to grab Vonleh.
    Absolutely.

    Vonleh is in my opinion the draft sleeper. He is a high energy player who is also extremely talented. He is a very good defender and rebounder that has great physical tools. He has a back to the basket and a face up game and is an unselfish player. I project that over the course of his career Vonleh will be better than DD will be (with me not being biased), this is due to the complete game that Vonleh has as well as his position. Talented, two-way, high energy posts with great physical tools are solid long term investments. He also has the tools to be a part of an inside out game that I want to be implemented with this team rather than the guard dominated play we see now.

    Also consider Ross, who is currently out of position at the SF and is occasionally getting punished due to his lack of bulk (and he should not get bigger, stay speedy - hey great nickname, speedy). Ross demands starters minutes as well as DD so we have a bit of a problem as our wings are undersized to guard one of the positions, I like Ross' skill set more so it is DD that is getting cut. Also DD has very good trade value right now.

    TL;DR - DD has the value to trade into draft for Vonleh, Ross has ability to replace DD at SG in the starting lineup.

    Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Also I highly doubt Vince Carter will come here after many fans still harboring ill feelings just so they could goat him every time he has a bad game, not to mentioned he did say that he wants to resign with Dallas in the offseason:


    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...tter-next-year

    Let sleeping dogs lie.
    I agree, the possibility for complete and utter implosion if Carter comes back to TO is quite high because people will expect way too much from the aged VC. Leave him play out his career in peace.

  21. #18
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    2,843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Lol every armchair GMs favorite type of thread...so happy!

    The majority of our team has good chem and I think there is a good base here that you keep together to grow the culture for the young kids you add. Lowry, Ross, Val, Amir and Pattman are my core.

    1) Use Salmon's buyout on Draft Day - Salmons + pick #59 to OKC for Perkins + Perry Jones III +/- future second. OKC does it for cap relief, we buy out Perkins and take a flier on PJ3 whom I think is on a good developmental track and could be a good player within a couple of seasons, play him off the bench at SF.

    2) Resign Lowry, resign Patterson, resign De Colo (1st year guaranteed, 2nd year team option), retain TH, let Vasquez walk

    3) Trade DD for a pick high enough to select Noah Vonleh. I think the dude has potential to be a very good PF in this league on both side of the ball. He comes off the bench for a while. As the years go along he earns the starting PF and the Amir/Pattman combo off the bench is a solid, sustainable bench unit for years with Vonleh/JV hopefully turns into a great frontcourt

    4) If there is a better coach available upgrade take it, I want to see an inside/out team, which Casey stifles

    Lineup next season:

    Lowry/De Colo/Stone
    Ross/????
    Fields/PJ3
    Amir/Patterson/TH
    JV/Vonleh/Hayes

    We are weak at the backup SG position, and the SF position has tons of question marks. With our 20th pick I would take wing who has ball handling and very good shooting potential (LaVine or Stauskas). I would love to grab Caris LaVert, but don't think he is gonna declare this season.

    Continue building around Lowry, Ross, Val, Amir and Pattman. Hopefully the pieces I propose of adding turn into the pieces that push us over the edge
    I'm not gonna lie, I didn't know who Vonleh was until I just looked at his scouting video. The kid does look very good for a freshy...


    I just don't see how you trade an all-star SG, one who has improved his game exponentially in the last year and a half, for a prospect at a position that is not necessarily in need of fixing. Sure it would be nice to have a blue chipper there again, but if Amir and Project Patterson can hold it down along with Psycho T, it's not really a move I would look to make.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  22. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
  23. #19
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    I just don't see how you trade an all-star SG, one who has improved his game exponentially in the last year and a half, for a prospect at a position that is not necessarily in need of fixing. Sure it would be nice to have a blue chipper there again, but if Amir and Project Patterson can hold it down along with Psycho T, it's not really a move I would look to make.
    These are all very valid points and do make it hard to justify the move.

    I think there are two things that need to be satisfied in order to justify the move

    1) Vonleh is the perfect fit at PF beside Val and will fit perfectly in system and team identity
    2) If you think Vonleh will be better than DD in the future

    If 1 and 2 make a lot of sense to you, you have to look at the cost of acquiring him.

    If the cost of acquiring Vonleh is a current all star SG then I think he is well worth it. He is a smooth player that crashes the boards hard and has the potential to be a very good defender (two things I put heavy emphasis on). I think he is going to be better than Randle, but is more of a project.

    And must mention I was wrong in my one post about Vonleh being an unselfish player. Stand by everything else. I think he has the ability to make the right play, just needs growth
    Last edited by OldSkoolCool; Sat Apr 5th, 2014 at 03:30 AM.

  24. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Vonleh is projected top 7 right now. If the price to get him is anything more than DD, or has anything bad coming back (outside of an expiring) then the deal is a no go. I would want the number 5 or 6 pick in case someone more interesting slips to us (Exum). So basically a not likely scenario...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •