Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideal Roster For Next Season? Vince Carter Involved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think if we extend GV we lose DeColo and can't sign Carter. Extending PPat means losing Handsborough

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't think many changes are warranted for next season. I love the idea of a guard/wing rotation of Lowry, DD, Ross, Vasquez, Fields, De Colo. You can throw out various rotations using these guys, multiple 2 PG lineups that can all provide a little different way of attacking the defence. I really like what I have seen from De Colo and I 'm convinced Fields is that SF we need on the bench. I'd love to see a good backup for JV, and Jordan Hill is the player I'd target. Resign Lowry and at least, pick up the QO's for Vasquez, De Colo and Patterson. Buy out Salmons.

Lowry/Vasquez/De Colo
      Demar
      Ross/Fields
      Amir/Patterson
      JV/Hill/Hayes

We would still have Stone, Buycks, Hans, and Novak plus 2 or 3 draft picks. I'd be fine with keeping Hans, but if he needs to be traded to upgrade elsewhere then I'm fine with that and those other 3 guys can go as well. I'd keep Hayes as that vet presence as he can still help out JV's development, plus his $6-7 mil will be hard to move. I'd draft a wing (1st rounder) and a big in the draft.

Of course, this could all change with the playoffs, but I'd resign Casey (1 year) and see how it goes for one more season. This offseason isn't the time for major changes anyways, so a little stability won't hurt.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
        ...I 'm convinced Fields is that SF we need on the bench....
        I really hope that Fields sees some improvement in his elbow nerve issue before next November. Whether it heals further, or he adapts his shot to whatever condition it is in. If Tristan Thompson can switch from left hand to right hand shooting, I hope that Fields can adapt his shooting stroke.

He is just so much smarter during game play than any of the Raps other wing players that is criminal that casey feels he can't use him during games. He would add a completely different dimension to the Raps offence.

Comment

I really hope there are no big splashes this off season. I'd prefer to keep all the flexibility open for 2015 when Fields/Hayes's contracts are off the books and Novak is an expiring contract.

And some continuity would be nice too. TL seemed confident that Lowry was coming back and who's going to disagree with TL? So the only guy that will probably be off the roster will be Salmons. Don't see MU keeping him for $7M next season when he can be waived for $1M. They will probably be adding at least 2 draft picks (the 3rd will most likely be a euro-stash).

So we are looking at a depth chart like this:

Lowry/Vasquez/De Colo
          Demar
          Ross/Fields
          Amir/Patterson/Psycho-T/Novak
          JV/Hayes

* That's 12 spots. Buycks or Stone will make 13 (one of them will be waived), and 2 draft picks make 15.

If MU is looking at free agency that would require waiving both Buycks and Stone, making a 2-1 or 3-2 type of trade, or waiving someone like Psycho-T (which I just don't see him doing).

I'd prefer not bringing in veteran depth or else Casey will use them despite how Ross, JV or the two rooks are playing. So if you give DC less options I think that's a good thing.

Comment

First post - I'm gonna preface this by saying I don't exactly know the numbers, who can/cannot be traded, or what clauses exist. But if I were GM, and these moves were allowed, this is what I would do:

#1 - re-sign Kyle Lowry

#2 - With the 20th pick, try to draft Tyler Ennis

Likely, Ennis will be taken. If this is the case, I would offer Vasquez and Buycks/Stone as a package to the team who drafted Ennis in exchange for him (chances are if you drafted a PG, you need a PG - I'll give you two for one). I'm a HUGE fan of Ennis' game, maturity, and it doesn't hurt that he's Canadian. Admittedly, I'm less a fan of Vasquez. Love his passion and commitment to the city, but he's too predictable, has questionable decision-making skills, and plays virtually no defense at a pivotal position.

#3 - Get rid of Salmons and the remainder of Buycks/Stone for a serviceable, experienced SG/SF.

Basically Salmons 2-3 years ago. He's too old and only has good games where he has had plenty of rest. It's funny people are mentioning Vince Carter. I wouldn't think to bring him back (just because of the history), but a Carter-esque player is what we'd need in terms of skill set and experience to back up DeRozan and Ross. For the sake of argument, let's just go with Carter to see how it looks.

I'd use the 20th pick to pick up a solid PF/C to back up JV - we need a presence (muscle, shot blocking and rebounding)

I'd use the 59th pick to pick up the best next player, probably a SG/SF.

So my line-up would be.

PG: Lowry, Ennis, De Colo
            SG: DeRozan, Carter, 59th Draft Pick
            SF: Ross, Fields, Novak
            PF: Johnson, Patterson, Hansborough
            C: Valanciunas, 20th Draft Pick, Hayes

In terms of Coach Casey - I might give him another year IF he agrees to bring in a proven offensive-minded Assistant Coach to help draw up plays and properly manage minutes. Otherwise, if I were GM, I'd be looking around to see if George Karl, or either of the Van Gundy's need a job.

Comment

After Vponlkeh and Embid there really aren't any good PF/C that can't be drafted second round. PG could drop to the second to as team draft SG/SF first round so Elfrid Payton could be available early second or late first. Might be easier too trade down to grab Payton vs trade up to draft Ennis. A few other PG are avai look able plate.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                After Vponlkeh and Embid there really aren't any good PF/C that can't be drafted second round. PG could drop to the second to as team draft SG/SF first round so Elfrid Payton could be available early second or late first. Might be easier too trade down to grab Payton vs trade up to draft Ennis. A few other PG are avai look able plate.

Why trade down with our 1st? The SAC 2nd rounder is high enough that we could trade up from there.

Comment

Yeah but its an option if he is taken right before our pick at 1 or 2 second a trade is possible and cheap if a good PG is available at the third pick trading up to draft Ennis might be to expensive

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

I'd prefer not bringing in veteran depth or else Casey will use them despite how Ross, JV or the two rooks are playing. So if you give DC less options I think that's a good thing.
                    I'll bet that next season, if Casey is retained, there will be no veteran bias. Casey will give lots of minutes to JV and Ross, especially if they are playing well. I'm starting to think that the way JV and Ross have been given minutes this season is a good thing, and great for their individual development. Next season, those guys will get increased responsibility, and the minutes that come with it...unless they shit the bed. That's my guess anyways.

Comment

• Well, JV and TRoss will be vets compared to the one or two (maybe 3?) rooks that come in, so they should get more time.
                      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                        I'll bet that next season, if Casey is retained, there will be no veteran bias. Casey will give lots of minutes to JV and Ross, especially if they are playing well. I'm starting to think that the way JV and Ross have been given minutes this season is a good thing, and great for their individual development. Next season, those guys will get increased responsibility, and the minutes that come with it...unless they shit the bed. That's my guess anyways.
                        Casey's m.o. is veteran bias. He's done it all three seasons he's been here in Toronto. He did it when he coached Minny. Ross/JV will be more mature so I could see them gradually getting more minutes, but at least 1, probably 2 rookies will be on the team next year. I'd rather give them playing time over some vet like Vince Carter.

Comment

• Puzzled by all the veteran bias talk. as if it's a Casey phenomena. Coaches of winning teams almost always have veteran bias.
                          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• It would be tricky but I like Nando over Greivis but both are up for contract renewal. Both also have trade value with Greivis more so. If MU could sign them both and trade GV later that would be good asset management imo.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Casey's m.o. is veteran bias. He's done it all three seasons he's been here in Toronto. He did it when he coached Minny. Ross/JV will be more mature so I could see them gradually getting more minutes, but at least 1, probably 2 rookies will be on the team next year. I'd rather give them playing time over some vet like Vince Carter.
                              I think both JV and Ross have benefited from the limited minutes and playing on a team that's trying to compete and win. They are learning winning habits, they are part of that environment and, hopefully, they've come to understand that if they want to get the minutes, they have to perform better than their veteran counterparts. This hammers home the need to be consistent, and the need to have the fundamentals basically mastered. Think of the difference in JV over the past month or so. His defense is sooo much better than it was back in Nov or Dec. There is no harm in letting Salmons make a few mistakes, because who really gives a shit? But if Ross isn't on his game, or isn't engaged on the court, or not making the best decisions, then yeah, pull the kid and give him a rest. He can learn from that and that can benefit him and the team later. With Salmons, not so much.

As for the rookies we draft this offseason, I'd be surprised if any of them get many minutes next season, regardless if Casey is here or not. Unless MU guts the roster in the offseason, we are too deep to allow any rookies to get significant playing time next season, unless we somehow draft a prodigy.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                                It would be tricky but I like Nando over Greivis but both are up for contract renewal. Both also have trade value with Greivis more so. If MU could sign them both and trade GV later that would be good asset management imo.
                                Ya I like how De Colo is more consistent with running plays for the second unit. GV is really bad for going into hero mode. Also De Colo always brings hustle and D so if his offense is struggling for that particular game then we know that he will still be producing on some level. When GV has a bad night and is in hero mode he can kill all bench production while being a black hole on D. I would not even pick up the QO on Vasquez and give De Colo a 2 year deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X