Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 119

Thread: JV and Ross

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default JV and Ross

    I just thought it was time for a thread on the two sophomores.

    I don't know if anyone truly expected (hoped for maybe) that they would step up like they have. I will admit that I expected to see progression from JV (not what he showed tonight against Hibbert mind you) but really had almost given up on Ross after last year.

    Both of them have shown tremendous growth this year. Particularly in their defensive presence. And Jv is again using the outside shot to broaden his offensive impact and Ross has brushed 50% with his 3 pt shot.

    Overall I have to say an extremely pleasant surprise. And maybe JV is coming along a little faster than anticipated.

  2. Like mcHAPPY, OldSkoolCool liked this post
  3. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    1,838
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    TRoss the sniper!
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

  4. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,427
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I wasn't going to give up on Ross at all. I thought his talent was really obvious to see. Hard to be consistent as a rookie at the best of times, but when you're not given the chance to play through mistakes, or even play at all some nights...can be hard to get it going.

    Of course that doesn't mean I expected him to play like he has. I expected he'd be buried on the end of the bench behind Rudy and DeMar.

    Certainly been one of the most enjoyable aspects of this season, watching these two improving and being key parts to the teams turnaround.
    Last edited by BigCamB; Sat Apr 5th, 2014 at 01:13 AM.

  5. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,666
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BigCamB wrote: View Post
    I wasn't going to give up on Ross at all. I thought his talent was really obvious to see. Hard to be consistent as a rookie at the best of times, but when you're not given the chance to play through mistakes, or even play at all some nights...can be hard to get it going.

    Of course that doesn't mean I expected him to play like he has. I expected he'd be buried on the end of the bench behind Rudy and DeMar.

    Certainly been one of the most enjoyable aspects of this season, watching these two improving and being key parts to the teams turnaround.
    This is pretty much how I see it. And the bold is why I might've been fine with trading him, as another season buried couldn't help his development or value. Very glad things have turned out the way they have.

    JV isn't quite producing as I'd hoped, but mostly because of how he's been utilized. Eye-test wise he's made much of the progress I hoped for.

  6. #5
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ANGERVILLE: Population 1
    Posts
    7,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He's 2 years away from being 2 years away, but his wingspan is already here .

  7. Like Toilet Joe liked this post
  8. #6
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    2,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I can't say enough about these two and how proud I am to have them on the Raptors. I kind of expected JV to do what he's doing, just given with his high motor and relentless effort. I still think they should look for him in the post a lot more though. I get frustrated when I see him work his ass off on O, we make a bucket, then he comes back down on D and bodies his man and we get a stop and say a big rebound by JV. He then sprints down the floor and busts his ass for good positioning calling for the ball, and 9 times outta 10 DeMar or Greivas overlook him... I just don't get it sometimes.

    And as for Ross, the kid has stepped up his game exponentially as of late. He's had a couple off-games on the offensive side, but we have to remember that he's usually guarding a premier player on the other team. I think he's starting to come out of his shell a little more each game and his confidence is showing, and in turn, his teammates trust him more.

    To have two second year players as key members of our run this year is huge. I really hope the core is kept for the next two seasons, a little continuity would be big. If the Miami guys opt out after this year, who knows what could happen??!!
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  9. Like BigCamB, OldSkoolCool liked this post
  10. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Love the progression from both of them. I think they have put their stamp on the identity of the team. Val is passionate and shows heart and hustle. Ross can really set the tone on D and get into someone as well as ignite the crowd with his stroke/highlights. Definitely would not be where we are without their identity and desire to win. I've noticed that both of these guys are very visibly upset with losing games and do their best to not be on that side...

    Aside: Writing in another thread I said Ross needs to not bulk up and stay "speedy", I kind of like it as a nickname tbh

  11. #8
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ANGERVILLE: Population 1
    Posts
    7,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Love the progression from both of them. I think they have put their stamp on the identity of the team. Val is passionate and shows heart and hustle. Ross can really set the tone on D and get into someone as well as ignite the crowd with his stroke/highlights. Definitely would not be where we are without their identity and desire to win. I've noticed that both of these guys are very visibly upset with losing games and do their best to not be on that side...

    Aside: Writing in another thread I said Ross needs to not bulk up and stay "speedy", I kind of like it as a nickname tbh
    Exactly there is absolutely no need for Ross to bulk keep him at 6'7 200lbs

  12. Like mcHAPPY, OldSkoolCool liked this post
  13. #9
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,666
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Love the progression from both of them. I think they have put their stamp on the identity of the team. Val is passionate and shows heart and hustle. Ross can really set the tone on D and get into someone as well as ignite the crowd with his stroke/highlights. Definitely would not be where we are without their identity and desire to win. I've noticed that both of these guys are very visibly upset with losing games and do their best to not be on that side...

    Aside: Writing in another thread I said Ross needs to not bulk up and stay "speedy", I kind of like it as a nickname tbh
    I was really worried that Ross might physically struggle due to his slight frame, especially that it might lead to nagging injuries from the bumps and bruises. So far so good though, glad he's proving me wrong.

  14. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MACK11 wrote: View Post
    Exactly there is absolutely no need for Ross to bulk keep him at 6'7 200lbs
    I was thinking in terms of some people suggesting an increase in size to handle the larger SFs he has to currently defend because he is out of position.

  15. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    I was thinking in terms of some people suggesting an increase in size to handle the larger SFs he has to currently defend because he is out of position.
    It's a hard decision because yes if we want to continue to have Terrence and DD as our future TRoss has to play the three and he's really undersized weight wise for that position. But at the same time if he bulks up he will lose his biggest asset which is his quickness and leaping ability. I don't want what happened to JV to happen to TRoss. Another way of looking at it is the only guys he really would have trouble with weight wise in this league are Carmelo and Lebron and no one guards them well anyway. Oh also Joe Johnson, but he's actually done an okay job against Joe this season. Kevin Durant is more because of his height not gerth and because he's just amazing. I don't think he should bulk up just so he can have a slightly better chance of guarding two of the best offensive players in the league. Especially since even with added weight he won't be able to stop them.

  16. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
  17. #12
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ANGERVILLE: Population 1
    Posts
    7,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    I was thinking in terms of some people suggesting an increase in size to handle the larger SFs he has to currently defend because he is out of position.
    Yeah Ross is defending SF's because DD cannot and Ross is a natural SG and he is currently playing out of position

  18. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,427
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    as another season buried couldn't help his development or value. Very glad things have turned out the way they have.

    Quote Mack North wrote: View Post

    I think he's starting to come out of his shell a little more each game and his confidence is showing, and in turn, his teammates trust him more.
    I think these two posts sum up TRoss. We're on the outside but it certainly looks like he's a guy who's laid back and very much a confidence player. Another season stuck on the bench and who knows what could've happened to him. He could've been shipped off to some shitty organization like Cleveland to sit on the pine for a couple more years etc. He's been given a chance, his confidence is really rising each game and as it rises he shows us more and more of what he can do (nice pick and roll passes to JV, breaking down guys off the dribble etc).
    Thank you for being shit Rudy, we may not have been able to witness this otherwise

  19. #14
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    2,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MACK11 wrote: View Post
    Exactly there is absolutely no need for Ross to bulk keep him at 6'7 200lbs
    I think he'll ad another 15-20 lbs in the next few years just due to becoming a man. He certainly has all the potential to become a very dangerous player in the league.

    Can't believe he's listed at 197 on Yahoo! lol He doesn't play like it. And the kid has some serious hangtime! Becoming a real favorite of mine... Andre who?
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  20. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,427
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That would be ok, I'm not sure his frame could even put on much more weight tbh.

  21. #16
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    I was thinking in terms of some people suggesting an increase in size to handle the larger SFs he has to currently defend because he is out of position.
    One of best perimeter defenders was Bruce Bowen - 6'7" and 200lbs
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  22. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
  23. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,835
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    They also tend to play better when the games are more important. You can tell that they like the challenge. That is huuuuuuuuge

  24. #18
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I really would like these guys relentless effort to be rewarded with winning a playoff series to get a taste of winning in the highest platform. Once you get a taste you want more.

  25. #19
    Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i was definitely a huge critic of ross in his first year. super glad hes stepped up huge!!

  26. Like Letter N liked this post
  27. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,835
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Let's get this out of the way quickly:

    Thanks Bryan

    Ok, continue

  28. Like Mack North liked this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •