JV and Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JV and Ross

I just thought it was time for a thread on the two sophomores.

I don't know if anyone truly expected (hoped for maybe) that they would step up like they have. I will admit that I expected to see progression from JV (not what he showed tonight against Hibbert mind you) but really had almost given up on Ross after last year.

Both of them have shown tremendous growth this year. Particularly in their defensive presence. And Jv is again using the outside shot to broaden his offensive impact and Ross has brushed 50% with his 3 pt shot.

Overall I have to say an extremely pleasant surprise. And maybe JV is coming along a little faster than anticipated.

TRoss the sniper!
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

I wasn't going to give up on Ross at all. I thought his talent was really obvious to see. Hard to be consistent as a rookie at the best of times, but when you're not given the chance to play through mistakes, or even play at all some nights...can be hard to get it going.

Of course that doesn't mean I expected him to play like he has. I expected he'd be buried on the end of the bench behind Rudy and DeMar.

Certainly been one of the most enjoyable aspects of this season, watching these two improving and being key parts to the teams turnaround.
      Last edited by BigCamB; Sat Apr 5, 2014, 01:13 AM.

Comment

BigCamB wrote: View Post
        I wasn't going to give up on Ross at all. I thought his talent was really obvious to see. Hard to be consistent as a rookie at the best of times, but when you're not given the chance to play through mistakes, or even play at all some nights...can be hard to get it going.

Of course that doesn't mean I expected him to play like he has. I expected he'd be buried on the end of the bench behind Rudy and DeMar.

Certainly been one of the most enjoyable aspects of this season, watching these two improving and being key parts to the teams turnaround.
        This is pretty much how I see it. And the bold is why I might've been fine with trading him, as another season buried couldn't help his development or value. Very glad things have turned out the way they have.

JV isn't quite producing as I'd hoped, but mostly because of how he's been utilized. Eye-test wise he's made much of the progress I hoped for.

Comment

"Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

I can't say enough about these two and how proud I am to have them on the Raptors. I kind of expected JV to do what he's doing, just given with his high motor and relentless effort. I still think they should look for him in the post a lot more though. I get frustrated when I see him work his ass off on O, we make a bucket, then he comes back down on D and bodies his man and we get a stop and say a big rebound by JV. He then sprints down the floor and busts his ass for good positioning calling for the ball, and 9 times outta 10 DeMar or Greivas overlook him... I just don't get it sometimes.

And as for Ross, the kid has stepped up his game exponentially as of late. He's had a couple off-games on the offensive side, but we have to remember that he's usually guarding a premier player on the other team. I think he's starting to come out of his shell a little more each game and his confidence is showing, and in turn, his teammates trust him more.

To have two second year players as key members of our run this year is huge. I really hope the core is kept for the next two seasons, a little continuity would be big. If the Miami guys opt out after this year, who knows what could happen??!!

Comment

Love the progression from both of them. I think they have put their stamp on the identity of the team. Val is passionate and shows heart and hustle. Ross can really set the tone on D and get into someone as well as ignite the crowd with his stroke/highlights. Definitely would not be where we are without their identity and desire to win. I've noticed that both of these guys are very visibly upset with losing games and do their best to not be on that side...

Aside: Writing in another thread I said Ross needs to not bulk up and stay "speedy", I kind of like it as a nickname tbh

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                Love the progression from both of them. I think they have put their stamp on the identity of the team. Val is passionate and shows heart and hustle. Ross can really set the tone on D and get into someone as well as ignite the crowd with his stroke/highlights. Definitely would not be where we are without their identity and desire to win. I've noticed that both of these guys are very visibly upset with losing games and do their best to not be on that side...

Aside: Writing in another thread I said Ross needs to not bulk up and stay "speedy", I kind of like it as a nickname tbh
                Exactly there is absolutely no need for Ross to bulk keep him at 6'7 200lbs

Comment

I was really worried that Ross might physically struggle due to his slight frame, especially that it might lead to nagging injuries from the bumps and bruises. So far so good though, glad he's proving me wrong.

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                    I was thinking in terms of some people suggesting an increase in size to handle the larger SFs he has to currently defend because he is out of position.

Comment

I was thinking in terms of some people suggesting an increase in size to handle the larger SFs he has to currently defend because he is out of position.
                      It's a hard decision because yes if we want to continue to have Terrence and DD as our future TRoss has to play the three and he's really undersized weight wise for that position. But at the same time if he bulks up he will lose his biggest asset which is his quickness and leaping ability. I don't want what happened to JV to happen to TRoss. Another way of looking at it is the only guys he really would have trouble with weight wise in this league are Carmelo and Lebron and no one guards them well anyway. Oh also Joe Johnson, but he's actually done an okay job against Joe this season. Kevin Durant is more because of his height not gerth and because he's just amazing. I don't think he should bulk up just so he can have a slightly better chance of guarding two of the best offensive players in the league. Especially since even with added weight he won't be able to stop them.
                      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Yeah Ross is defending SF's because DD cannot and Ross is a natural SG and he is currently playing out of position

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          as another season buried couldn't help his development or value. Very glad things have turned out the way they have.

Mack North wrote: View Post

I think he's starting to come out of his shell a little more each game and his confidence is showing, and in turn, his teammates trust him more.
                          I think these two posts sum up TRoss. We're on the outside but it certainly looks like he's a guy who's laid back and very much a confidence player. Another season stuck on the bench and who knows what could've happened to him. He could've been shipped off to some shitty organization like Cleveland to sit on the pine for a couple more years etc. He's been given a chance, his confidence is really rising each game and as it rises he shows us more and more of what he can do (nice pick and roll passes to JV, breaking down guys off the dribble etc).
                          Thank you for being shit Rudy, we may not have been able to witness this otherwise

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                            I think he'll ad another 15-20 lbs in the next few years just due to becoming a man. He certainly has all the potential to become a very dangerous player in the league.

Can't believe he's listed at 197 on Yahoo! lol He doesn't play like it. And the kid has some serious hangtime! Becoming a real favorite of mine... Andre who?

Comment

That would be ok, I'm not sure his frame could even put on much more weight tbh.

Comment

Working...
                              X