DeMar DeRozan: The new Jrue Holiday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeMar DeRozan: The new Jrue Holiday?

I've been meaning to start this thread for a week since I read this article but just never got around to it.

I know I've raised this point along with a couple of other posters before reading this. (Out of curiousity, is the Shantz poster here at RR one and the same with the author of this post?)

Anyways:

Just two years ago, the Philadelphia 76ers were a playoff team. Granted, they just squeaked into the playoffs, but they were a playoff team nonetheless and had youth on their side. As a front office, they needed to do something drastic in order to try to contend. They shipped Andre Iquodala to Denver in a four team trade that brought Andrew Bynum back to Philadelphia.

Flash forward a year, and everything had gone wrong. Andrew Bynum never suited up for the 76ers and the franchise was in desperate need of a new direction. They found it on draft night, by shipping Jrue Holiday to the New Orleans Pelicans.

Now, for the Toronto Raptors, the circumstances can’t be much more similar. A young playoff team, built on a foundation of their dynamic backcourt, and with offseason uncertainty over Kyle Lowry‘s contract situation. Masai Ujiri finds himself with some very interesting possibilities this summer. Ultimately, all of his decisions must come down to one question: What is the ceiling of this current roster? If Ujiri can’t see ways to build upon the current foundation and make a contender, then a change of direction will need to take place. And the most viable option to do so might just be to trade DeMar DeRozan.
    What could make DeMar even more valuable than Holiday, may be the position he plays. The current depth of starting point guards across the league is deeper than it may have ever been, but shooting guard is a different story. There are few top-tier shooting guards in the league today, as there has been a gravitation towards 3-and-D type players. Based on the numbers, is it unreasonable for DeMar to be viewed as a top five player for his position?

Ujiri has always said that his only goal for the Raptors is to bring an NBA Championship to the City of Toronto. If he believes that trading DeRozan could bring him closer to that goal, then Raptor fans can only hope that he can bring back the type of trade that Philadelphia got for Holiday.

http://hoopshabit.com/2014/03/30/dem...-jrue-holiday/

If you can get a Philly/Holiday type return for DeRozan, I think you have to trade him. Why?

1) Ross - no Ross doesn't produce like DD but he also isn't the focal like DD. Ross is also a superior defender on the other side of the ball.

2) Financial flexibility - shedding DD's salary in exchange for rookie contracts will allow the Raptors to be bigger free agent players in 2015 and 2016.

3) Long term planning and stability - JV and Ross can be Raptors for the next 6-7 seasons. Any draft picks selected by Toronto will be Raptors for 8-9 years if the Raptors choose. DeRozan could walk for nothing in 2 seasons.

4) Ujiri and Weltman - Fantastic history of identifying talent in the draft.

5) Ownership - they will pay luxury tax for a winner. The way to do that is not free agency. You are limited. The way to paying luxury tax and keeping a talented core is through Bird Rights. Raptors need to acquire as many pieces as possible that have Bird Rights. It is then you can take advantage of multi-billion dollar ownership pockets.

This summer is going to be interesting. Masai has said he'd give the team an opportunity to see what they can do. But he has always referred to 2013-14. He has never said anything beyond 2014.

Considering trading DD for two possible lottery picks is not hating. It is a serious question and if the possibility is out there, I am not sure you can say no.

If the Raptors get a complete desperation move like the Pelicans. GSW are a good candidate maybe the Clippers especially if they fall short in the Playoffs. Mavericks too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

i'm so torn on this...as this would be the definition of selling high.

I would strongly consider DeRozan to Detroit for Monroe, pick, Datome (who I consider a De Colo like gem)

The key for me is... I really need to see how its a step forward or at the very least a side step in order to better move forward. It doesn't happen for just picks, gotta have someone who can contribute step in
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I would do It if we can get back something like Philly got for Holiday

Also im sure a bunch of people on RR are gonna say your just a DD hater LOOOOOL
        If a trade like this happened it would benefit us but I only do it if the trade is for like a pick in the range of 3-8 and we can get back a solid rotation player
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

I guess I would trade dd for wiggans, a filler and a 2015 draft pick...

But I don't think that will happen. I see Minnesota could possibly offer their pick shaved and maybe a future pick but I don't see that happening either.

But Phoenix could trade 2 picks and fry, that I believe more possible.

I personally wouldn't do any of those though
          I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
            I guess I would trade dd for wiggans, a filler and a 2015 draft pick...

But I don't think that will happen. I see Minnesota could possibly offer their pick shaved and maybe a future pick but I don't see that happening either.

But Phoenix could trade 2 picks and fry, that I believe more possible.

I personally wouldn't do any of those though
            Fuckkkk I meant to say shved not shaved*

Comment

I trade that seem possible would be
              Lakers 1st round pick ( Vonleh maybe?) and Jordan Hill/ Robert Sacre

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                I trade that seem possible would be
                Lakers 1st round pick ( Vonleh maybe?) and Jordan Hill/ Robert Sacre
                I don't think lakers would trade for derozan now that they signed Kobe all that cash...

Comment

Minny could offer Love , cap relief and picks but why would they and Love is an RFA. Indy could but then you're trading within the conference. Any team that falls short in the playoffs may bet the farm next year.

Comment

I don't think lakers would trade for derozan now that they signed Kobe all that cash...
                    DeRozan only makes about 10Mill a year thats not a big contract at all

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                      Minny could offer Love , cap relief and picks but why would they and Love is an RFA. Indy could but then you're trading within the conference. Any team that falls short in the playoffs may bet the farm next year.

I think for love we would have to give up dd, Ross, and like 3 unprotected picks.

Love is actually pretty good

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                        DeRozan only makes about 10Mill a year thats not a big contract at all
                        Yea but Kobe and dd play the same position, each would be undersized and not good enough on d to guard the lebroms in this league

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                          i'm so torn on this...as this would be the definition of selling high.

I would strongly consider DeRozan to Detroit for Monroe, pick, Datome (who I consider a De Colo like gem)

The key for me is... I really need to see how its a step forward or at the very least a side step in order to better move forward. It doesn't happen for just picks, gotta have someone who can contribute step in
                          I wouldn't.

Monroe can walk in 4 years as UFA.

The concerns about his play are also a consideration but the main thing is about trying to build a championship team.

If you have pieces you can essentially guarantee will be around for 8-9 years that gives you a lot of time to find the right chemistry and pieces.

I feel really good about Weltman's and Ujiri's ability to draft and find players who can contribute right away.

Comment

Yea but Kobe and dd play the same position, each would be undersized and not good enough on d to guard the lebroms in this league
                            Im sure they understand Kobe is breaking down he not gonna play 40MPG anymore and once Kobe retires which would be soon DD can take over the position for them and If kobe plays Im sure DD could play alongside him

Comment

It all depends on Lowry. If he walks, I have no problem shopping DeMar starting this summer. Unfortunately, we may not know Lowry's intent until after the draft. But with Lowry gone, this team can't really make any noise for the next couple of years, so may as well commit to a rebuild.

If Lowry stays, DeMar's deal is a good one, and fully movable if an amazing offer comes along. And if not, and he decides to opt out before the 4th year of his deal, that's no big deal. We'll have oodles of capspace to work with, and Ross will be around to lock down one of the starting wing spots.

I don't think Masai needs to feel any pressure to do anything drastic and he can just keep an ear open to options that become available.

I very strongly doubt that DeMar brings 2 quality lottery picks back in a deal. Not to be forgotten in this comparison with Holiday...NOP has absolutely terrible management, and one of the picks (Nerlens Noel) was in what could easily turn out to be the worst draft in NBA history, and they really didn't protect the 2nd pick (for this year) enough. So if the expectation is to get a 2014 lottery pick and 2015* one as well....I wouldn't get my hopes too high. This draft is still quite strong, and next year's doesn't look bad either. Would need to con a poorly managed team...but many of them have already dealt away this year's or future picks. And if we're talking late-lottery picks, I don't think that's very good value (say two #12s in a row* or something). *EDIT: Briefly forgot the picks would have to be 2 years apart unless the deal happens on draft day (what NOP and PHI did last year).

If Lowry re-signs and you trade DeMar for picks, you're probably taking a step back for the next couple of years and keeping Lowry at a fairly high price. Why not just let Lowry walk or S&T him? I think if Lowry stays, DeMar is pretty safe here until Masai gets an offer he can't refuse, or DeMar opts out (which he will certainly do if he has another couple years like this).

This summer could be interesting, it could also be very tame. And I think the key is that Masai doesn't need to do anything drastic. This team is in a good position with assets and flexibility, as well as a fair amount of leverage, even some limited amount with Lowry's situation.

Also, I feel like Ujiri and Weltman's draft prowess gets super exaggerated. It's still a difficult process. They both have hits and misses, so even if they do a fairly good job, it doesn't mean you can easily replace a starting all-star level player with a couple of picks. So again, no need to feel pressed into doing something.
                              Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Apr 6, 2014, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X