Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    I feel you man, I don't know why err body wants to trade him
    Because as entertaining as this season has been there are higher aspirations.

No one is saying those aspirations can't be reached with DD.

The question is does trading him make those aspirations easier or achieved faster.

I'm not seeing why people take this discussion so personally. Are you a Raptor fan or a DeRozan fan first and foremost?

Comment

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lledwpu

Joel Anthony, Keith Bogans and Celtics' 1st round draft pick for DeMar. We draft our SF with that pick.

We only do this if we're sure to get Wiggins or Parker.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        I wouldn't.

Monroe can walk in 4 years as UFA.

The concerns about his play are also a consideration but the main thing is about trying to build a championship team.

If you have pieces you can essentially guarantee will be around for 8-9 years that gives you a lot of time to find the right chemistry and pieces.

I feel really good about Weltman's and Ujiri's ability to draft and find players who can contribute right away.
        I agree, 1st or 2nd year guys or draft picks are going to need to be center pieces if we are going to cash in on DeMar.

I see Denver really needing for a starting shooting guard. I would take next year's pick (heavily protected) plus Gallinari. They might want to get out of Galinari's contract due to his injury prone-ness. We could be a great landing spot for him playing a more half court game and using his skills at the SF.

I would be willing to use DD as a Holiday-type in that sense....

Comment

I've been meaning to start this thread for a week since I read this article but just never got around to it.

I know I've raised this point along with a couple of other posters before reading this. (Out of curiousity, is the Shantz poster here at RR one and the same with the author of this post?)

Anyways:

If you can get a Philly/Holiday type return for DeRozan, I think you have to trade him. Why?

1) Ross - no Ross doesn't produce like DD but he also isn't the focal like DD. Ross is also a superior defender on the other side of the ball.

2) Financial flexibility - shedding DD's salary in exchange for rookie contracts will allow the Raptors to be bigger free agent players in 2015 and 2016.

3) Long term planning and stability - JV and Ross can be Raptors for the next 6-7 seasons. Any draft picks selected by Toronto will be Raptors for 8-9 years if the Raptors choose. DeRozan could walk for nothing in 2 seasons.

4) Ujiri and Weltman - Fantastic history of identifying talent in the draft.

5) Ownership - they will pay luxury tax for a winner. The way to do that is not free agency. You are limited. The way to paying luxury tax and keeping a talented core is through Bird Rights. Raptors need to acquire as many pieces as possible that have Bird Rights. It is then you can take advantage of multi-billion dollar ownership pockets.

This summer is going to be interesting. Masai has said he'd give the team an opportunity to see what they can do. But he has always referred to 2013-14. He has never said anything beyond 2014.

Considering trading DD for two possible lottery picks is not hating. It is a serious question and if the possibility is out there, I am not sure you can say no.
          Appreciate the link to my article, matt52! I was picked up by HoopsHabit a few months ago and asked to cover the Cavaliers. When my schedule allows for it, I will also write about the Raptors.

I have absolutely nothing against DeMar and have loved watching his development for the Raptors, particularly this year. He has continually added to his athleticism and become a significant contributor to a winning environment. For this, he was rewarded with an all star appearance. I have to wonder though how high his ceiling is, and therefore how far the current roster can go.

I don't believe that Ujiri is one to get emotionally attached (blinded?) to his players, and is willing to trade anyone on the roster if he honestly believes that it will eventually bring the Raptors closer to being a championship contender. In one year, DeMar went from being an "overpaid" wing, to being a young all star and one of the top players for his position in the entire league.

There are teams that have strategically wound up at the bottom of the standings (76ers, Bucks, Magic), but there are others that I believe would consider trading their pick for more immediate success. Lakers would want to compete because they are the Lakers and don't want a grumpy Kobe around. What about Boston? Ainge has made several public statements that he isn't in love with this draft. This may just be public deception on his part, but potentially he honestly doesn't care much for any of the players available.

The Raptors aren't going to simply give any players away, but would have to consider a godfather type of offer if it could bring them a high potential star. Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, Randle, Exum, Gordon, Vonleh, etc. Ujiri won't be satisfied with being a second tier playoff team.
          http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post

Joel Anthony, Keith Bogans and Celtics' 1st round draft pick for DeMar. We draft our SF with that pick.

People need to stop with this line of thinking....Especially with Wiggins (Wouldn't do it for Parker myself).

No team is going to trade one of the top 2-3 picks in this draft if it means passing on Wiggins. No GM even close to being in their right mind would think that Wiggins doesn't have a very good chance at being a much much better player than DeMar.

The ceiling for what pick the Raps could get with someone like DeMar probably is in the most idealistic scenarios 4th or 5th pick (I'd argue probably 5th). And that's still probably extremely unlikely....probably 6-10 range would have to be what you settle for at best.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              People need to stop with this line of thinking....Especially with Wiggins (Wouldn't do it for Parker myself).

No team is going to trade one of the top 2-3 picks in this draft if it means passing on Wiggins. No GM even close to being in their right mind would think that Wiggins doesn't have a very good chance at being a much much better player than DeMar.

The ceiling for what pick the Raps could get with someone like DeMar probably is in the most idealistic scenarios 4th or 5th pick (I'd argue probably 5th). And that's still probably extremely unlikely....probably 6-10 range would have to be what you settle for at best.
              Noah Vonleh !!!!!!!
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post

Also, people should stop viewing the top few picks as gods.

Not everyone here does it, not all gms do it, but some fans and some (maybe) gms do.

2014 first round draft picks have ridiculous value.
                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post

Nope.

Not enough.

And I can guarantee you the C's say no too for many of the same reasons why I am advocating trading DD if you can get 2 lotto picks (well, one guaranteed and one highly likely).

Teams like Boston just started to rebuild. You need to target teams such as:

Cleveland
                  Detroit
                  Orlando
                  Lakers
                  Nuggets
                  Minnesota

Those are all teams that:
                  1) are or could be trying to win sooner than later,
                  2) desperate,
                  3) without a foundation that ensures they are ready for it sustained success,
                  4) hold other teams draft picks (such as Phoenix with Lakers 2015 pick - i.e. Raps get better pick)

Comment

Who is talking about trading for Love?

Wrong thread.
                    He thinks we can trade dd for love and a pick
                    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
                      Appreciate the link to my article, matt52! I was picked up by HoopsHabit a few months ago and asked to cover the Cavaliers. When my schedule allows for it, I will also write about the Raptors.

I have absolutely nothing against DeMar and have loved watching his development for the Raptors, particularly this year. He has continually added to his athleticism and become a significant contributor to a winning environment. For this, he was rewarded with an all star appearance. I have to wonder though how high his ceiling is, and therefore how far the current roster can go.

I don't believe that Ujiri is one to get emotionally attached (blinded?) to his players, and is willing to trade anyone on the roster if he honestly believes that it will eventually bring the Raptors closer to being a championship contender. In one year, DeMar went from being an "overpaid" wing, to being a young all star and one of the top players for his position in the entire league.

There are teams that have strategically wound up at the bottom of the standings (76ers, Bucks, Magic), but there are others that I believe would consider trading their pick for more immediate success. Lakers would want to compete because they are the Lakers and don't want a grumpy Kobe around. What about Boston? Ainge has made several public statements that he isn't in love with this draft. This may just be public deception on his part, but potentially he honestly doesn't care much for any of the players available.

The Raptors aren't going to simply give any players away, but would have to consider a godfather type of offer if it could bring them a high potential star. Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, Randle, Exum, Gordon, Vonleh, etc. Ujiri won't be satisfied with being a second tier playoff team.

Good luck in your writing endeavours!

The bold is spot on.

Comment

Do you think Chicago could want him? I mean, I don't see them getting Carmelo in the offseason and Jimmy Butler plays better at the SF. They've always been wanting that guy who could score 20 alongside Rose and Butler won't be that guy. They'd be pretty dangerous though. Rose, DD, Butler, Gibson (I expect Boozer to be amnestied), Noah.

Comment

Somebody suggested DD to Minny. DD to GSW for Barnes +2015 Picks was floated at the trade deadline.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Stop hating on DD. The man is here to stay for a long time and loves this city.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                              Somebody suggested DD to Minny. DD to GSW for Barnes +2015 Picks was floated at the trade deadline.

Not enough.

Amir for Barnes I would consider though - especially if other moves were made that brought in a guy like Noah at PF.

Comment

I don't know if trading in the Conference is a good idea you strengthen Chicago. The idea is the most lopsided win now trade Toronto could pull using DD like Holiday to the Pels

Comment

Working...
                                X