No announcement yet.

JV Arrested for DUI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To the conversation a couple pages back....

For the record, I do believe Val can be the best player on a championship team. I expect him to make at least a few all-star teams. Might take a while, but he'll get there.

Comment

• At least he's not JR Smith.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
        alcoholics do not process alcohol faster... they learn to function in a state of perpetual drunkeness. They just appear to be more sober
        That was what this man did in a Raptors uniform: played drunk.

Also:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...h_the_law.html

Alvin Robertson
        Hours before he scored the first points of the first game in Raptors franchise history, Alvin Robertson made a brief court appearance on assault charges.
        The charges were laid in October, 1995 after a woman was allegedly assaulted in a SkyDome Hotel room. At the time, the woman told police she was two months pregnant with Robertson’s child.
        The charges were later dismissed when the woman, a 31-year-old Detroit school teacher, decided not to testify.
        Robertson did, however, spend time in prison following his Raptors career, after pleading no contest to several misdemeanor charges relating to the assault of his ex-girlfriend.

Marcus Camby
        In 1997, Raptors forward Marcus Camby was arrested when police spotted his car drifting over the centre line South Windsor, Conn. Street.
        Camby was charged with marijuana possession and failure to drive in the proper lane. He last apologized at a news conference.
        The charges against Camby were dropped after he admitted to a judge that he made a mistake and agreed to do 16 hours of community service.

Dee Brown
        The popular guard had just left a Halloween party in the early morning of Nov. 1, 1999 when he was pulled over for speeding on the Don Valley Parkway.
        Brown didn’t get a speeding ticket, but he was charged with impaired driving after a breathalyzer test showed his blood alcohol content was above the legal limit. He was fined $2,000 and barred from driving in Canada for a year.
        But Brown’s conviction was later overturned when his lawyer argued the only reason the Raptor had been pulled over was because he was black. The case launched an investigation into racial profiling by police not only in Toronto, but across Canada.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
          Lets just remember that he is 21 years old and did something really stupid (which we all did during that age or going to do) which he will pay for, at least no one got hurt.
          Age has nothing to do with it. I know plenty of people who are 40 plus and have DUI. There's no excuse or leniency for this kinf of blatant stupidity.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
            Age has nothing to do with it. I know plenty of people who are 40 plus and have DUI. There's no excuse or leniency for this kinf of blatant stupidity.
            Sure age has something to do with it, and if you know people who are 40 and still do it then it shows you that some people stay stupid forever.

The law won't be lenient towards him, he will probably lose his licence for a year, pay $1000 fine and the NBA will suspend him first 2 games next season which will cost him around $85,000.

What else do you want?! you want him to be placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds??!!

Comment

• This thread makes my head hurt.

I believe in JV, this doesn't change that.

He'll atone for his crime and hopefully use it as a growing experience.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Depends what he's doing. Is he being abusive? Is he harassing/assaulting someone?

But again, this discussion with you started with you inferring that because they called the police to report it, JV must have been some special kind of obnoxious

And some of us arguing that this wasn't at all necessarily the case (especially since we don't have more info). He had open liquor. It is not subjective. I want the drive thru to feel obliged to call whenever it is an objectively obvious situation, such as open alcohol bottles. That is at least a fineable offence in and of itself I believe (not sure, so if someone knows feel free to correct me) And being abusive is definitely a situation I'd want them to call police for as well...since that can be a matter of their own safety, not necessarily road safety.

I don't know what side of this you're trying to argue for.
                My point is that the in this situation JV had visible open liquor and most likely had some type of behaviour that drew attention to himself. However in the larger societal context what threshold should we have for calling the cops? Based on responses in this forum many posters would be a lot quicker to call cops than me for any type of suspicious behaviour. Sometimes there are innocent explanations for behaviour that some may view as different than what they would consider as normal. Not all suspicious behaviour is criminal. My point is that I don't want to live in a society where people constantly call the cops for things that they view as abnormal or suspicious. The police needs to investigate criminal activity but not every little episode one views as abnormal. I would be interested in a poll to see what percentage of posters would call cops if two youths were walking done the street they live on talking loudly and joking on the street rather than sidewalk.....

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                  My point is that the in this situation JV had visible open liquor and most likely had some type of behaviour that drew attention to himself. However in the larger societal context what threshold should we have for calling the cops? Based on responses in this forum many posters would be a lot quicker to call cops than me for any type of suspicious behaviour. Sometimes there are innocent explanations for behaviour that some may view as different than what they would consider as normal. Not all suspicious behaviour is criminal. My point is that I don't want to live in a society where people constantly call the cops for things that they view as abnormal or suspicious. The police needs to investigate criminal activity but not every little episode one views as abnormal. I would be interested in a poll to see what percentage of posters would call cops if two youths were walking done the street they live on talking loudly and joking on the street rather than sidewalk.....
                  Sometimes being 7' tall is enough to grab attention - especially squat in a car.

Next up as a possibility of attention grabbing: what kind of car? If it was a Bentley or Porsche (or anything outside 'normal') that would also be enough to catch people's eyes.

Drive through attendant: "Hey everyone! Look at the enormous guy driving the *insert flashy car here*!!!"

I'm 6'7" and I don't look normal in most cars.

This isn't meant to make excuses for JV. It is just I don't get why people are fabricating the story to meet the stereotype of a drunken person. If he was in a car then any drive through is going to be looking down in to the car. It sounds like (and again, I don't know but I'm just saying based on description of events) that he had beer bottles in the centre console. If JV was acting like a douche then he it would have likely been reported like when Mel Gibson went on his rant or Jason Kidd did his thing.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                    I would be interested in a poll to see what percentage of posters would call cops if two youths were walking done the street they live on talking loudly and joking on the street rather than sidewalk.....
                    Are you serious? You actually think that is considered by anyone to be suspicious behaviour? If they were casing out the house across the street or parked cars- that's suspicious behaviour.
                    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                      Reading some of these posts LMAO its like some of y'all think JV spear headed a mass genocide or something and he should be hung for it
                      Some people have suffered a loss from reckless drunk drivers so I can see people being upset with him and anyone who does this stupid reckless act. No need for mass genocide hyperbole. Possibly killing one person is enough.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                        Are you serious? You actually think that is considered by anyone to be suspicious behaviour? If they were casing out the house across the street or parked cars- that's suspicious behaviour.
                        Based on some of the comments in this thread yes I think some posters would call the cops.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                          He's wrong. League can take action day after plea deal. It just depends on the league, they'll decide. Not our team or pr guys
                          Sure, but the plea deal won't happen in April. April will be a disclosure court date, then the actual pleas will probably be months later. JV won't even be at the April court date in all likelihood.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                            Reading some of these posts LMAO its like some of y'all think JV spear headed a mass genocide or something and he should be hung for it
                            Hypocritical for several posters to point out people being over-dramatic about JV and saying he should be suspended for a couple games by comparing it to genocide.

I always hated Stern's knee-jerk reactions and suspensions (Malice in the palace anyone?) but how can you justify a standard 5 game suspension for "Violation of NBA drug policy" for testing positive for ANY recreational drug (weed is even legal/decriminalized in some NBA states) and only a 2 game suspension for someone getting a DUI accident like Jason Kidd?!? There were multiple suspensions for flagrant fouls that exceeded 2 games over the last few seasons (Artest's elbow on Harden was 7 games).

I think Adam Silver should be releasing a memo in the off-season sending a strong message to anyone in the NBA family that gets arrested and/or charged for a DUI, never-mind assault or domestic abuse (looking at you Dante Cunningham) will be missing out on serious game-time and money - perhaps a minimum of 10 games?

As for condoning the DUI as a momentary loss of judgement - the same could be argued for Artest/Jackson/O'neil/Wallace, Bertuzzi, Heatley, Arenas/Crittenton, Larry Sanders, etc.
                            When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

• oh shut up.

Its a job.

And he doesn't drive for a living, so, his personal life is his own.

Basically what youre saying is that youd like to have the NBA become a moral conscience for society, and to set examples of its employee's, heh, ok, fine, your opinion.

Step off the high horse otherwise. Suspensions for fighting in the crowd.... or guns in a lockerroom, or trying to decapitate a guy on the floor are high because they are on the clock. Period.

Effin people man.

Kid made a bad decision, and is already getting destroyed enough....what th efuck more do you need.... a compete destruction of this kid to suit your own personal morality?

Get the fuck outta here with that Gahbage.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                                oh shut up.

Its a job.

And he doesn't drive for a living, so, his personal life is his own.

Basically what youre saying is that youd like to have the NBA become a moral conscience for society, and to set examples of its employee's, heh, ok, fine, your opinion.

Step off the high horse otherwise. Suspensions for fighting in the crowd.... or guns in a lockerroom, or trying to decapitate a guy on the floor are high because they are on the clock. Period.

Effin people man.

Kid made a bad decision, and is already getting destroyed enough....what th efuck more do you need.... a compete destruction of this kid to suit your own personal morality?

Get the fuck outta here with that Gahbage.
                                CLEARLY stated that these changes should be made in the off-season as a preventative measure/warning. If you think Jason Kidd getting drunk hitting a pole and not complying with police is roughly equal to him spilling a drink on the court for an extra time out you're fucked....

Laws/rules work because they make clear consequences that the vast majority of people use to justify not breaking said rules. Make a clear statement at the beginning of the season of considerably increased consequences and you'll find a lot more players hiring a ride home.

Jeff Van Gundy agrees.
                                http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1505171
                                Last edited by Edgar; Wed Apr 9, 2014, 03:12 PM. Reason: added link
                                When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Working...
                                X